Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:

With a fairmont, you have to do the suspension to get rid of the body roll, and 4WD ride height, you have to get decent mags, the standard seats are crap, so you will need to replace with sports seats...

4WD ride height ROFLMAO. It aint that bad. Hahahaha I'm still laughing :D :D

Some say my XR6 is high (wont mention any names Scotty, Uglybob) which is why they didnt notice I had 17" rims.

Some of you are way too used to having superlow cars.
:D :D

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Go the Fairmont Ghia V8.....it's one thing to go a fairmont but if your keen hold out for the Ghia....having owned both, I can definately say that the ghia just adds a whole new meaning to class.

The XR8's are nice but inside is a bit of a different story, although the seats are a nice sporty sit, climate control, trip computer and a few other features are definately missed.

I don't think manual is nothing to cry over, considering a manual conversions are easily accomplished......

.....if anyone is after a manual conversion i'll hook you up!!!! Good Price

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

depends alot on models ef/l fairmonts are nice and can be picked up cheap but in au i actully looked at a au v8 fairmont and it didnt do much for me my xr has everthing except the climate control and looks cooler but at the end of the day its what YOU want you might find an awsome au fairmont or an awsome el xr any fords a good car

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
Some say my XR6 is high (wont mention any names Scotty, Uglybob) which is why they didnt notice I had 17" rims.

hehe thats cause it is! :D lol you gotta go superlows - the only way! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Timmeh wrote:

hehe thats cause it is! :D lol you gotta go superlows - the only way! :wink:

All the local speed bumps are too high for my GLI.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

Muscle car or luxury car

apple or orange

depends what you after

go the XR looking tough is a good start

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
depends alot on models ef/l fairmonts are nice and can be picked up cheap but in au i actully looked at a au v8 fairmont and it didnt do much for me my xr has everthing except the climate control and looks cooler but at the end of the day its what YOU want you might find an awsome au fairmont or an awsome el xr any fords a good car

My thoughts exaclty.

Spent last few weeks goin thru the same dilema.

Ended up with an AU XR8 and glad i made the right choice.

Dont need climate control as windows always down to hear the exhaust. i dont rate air con all the time.

Love the handling, sports look and ride and just the idea of an XR over a fairmont

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

The only difference between the Fairmont and the Ghia is a bit of plastic chrome and the leather which will eventually crack and turn shiny anyway. A V8 fairmont is more appealing to me personally as the interior/exterior looks more intergrated as a result of not having the chrome bits. So if I had to choose between a Fairmont or Ghia I would go Fairmont. Most people would disagree but hey thats my opinion.

In regards to Fairmont vs XR8 I would probably still go the 'mont. I was in this dilemma about 5 years ago while trying to decide what to get as my first car. I wanted a manual EFII XR8 but was forced to choose between an EFII XR6 or Fairmont I6 (my old man wouldn't let me get a V8 cause ' i'd kill myself' ). Ended up going the I6 Fairmont and would still make the same decision today (but with a V8). Only thing that occasionally gives me the s**t is the fact that its auto and the unsupportive front seats. I suppose you can't have everything!

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

I'd go the manual xr8 wiv a sunroof! ;)
Apart from climate control, ur not missin' out on much else!
And if you need climate control, get in installed for a few hundred bucks!
Unless you like the 'prettiness' of the interior! :roll:

But hey, im not biased or anything! lol :lol:

Mmmm.. manual xr8.. i love my car! :P

Post subject: I agree
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Chich wrote:
The only difference between the Fairmont and the Ghia is a bit of plastic chrome and the leather which will eventually crack and turn shiny anyway. A V8 fairmont is more appealing to me personally as the interior/exterior looks more intergrated as a result of not having the chrome bits. So if I had to choose between a Fairmont or Ghia I would go Fairmont. Most people would disagree but hey thats my opinion.

In regards to Fairmont vs XR8 I would probably still go the 'mont. I was in this dilemma about 5 years ago while trying to decide what to get as my first car. I wanted a manual EFII XR8 but was forced to choose between an EFII XR6 or Fairmont I6 (my old man wouldn't let me get a V8 cause ' i'd kill myself' ). Ended up going the I6 Fairmont and would still make the same decision today (but with a V8). Only thing that occasionally gives me the s**t is the fact that its auto and the unsupportive front seats. I suppose you can't have everything!

as I had a Ef i6 Fairmont & now the MRS has 1 well insurance wise cheaper :lol: and more options but I wished she got a V8 fairmont :cry:

MEMBER 1390

Post subject: Re: I agree
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
Chich wrote:

as I had a Ef i6 Fairmont & now the MRS has 1 well insurance wise cheaper :lol: and more options but I wished she got a V8 fairmont :cry:

I feel your pain Ben_Duai... I wish mine was a V8 as well but as described above I was up against my dad who would've prefered to break my legs than see me buy a V8, and my mum who didn't know what a V8 was but didn't want me getting one anyways... I suppose they thought I'd eventually get over it hahaha
The lack of a bent motor in my car is currently being addressed though.. as soon as I find a decent donor car the thing is being converted to a 5 Litre with all the good bits..

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
If you gotta have manual thats no biggy; grab the ghia save a couple of dollars n make a manual ghia v8 - VERY desirable.

Exactly my plans in roughly a year's time, going to get the ghia and sell off the garnish and gear lever once converted to save my self some money.

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:32 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia V8

NSW, Australia

I have had this trouble over the last 5 months deciding what car to buy.

An XR8, SS Commodore , XR6T or a Fairmont Ghia I6 or V8

my final decision has been a BA Fairmont Ghia V8.

I looked at the others but insurance and other costs. the monty was the best value for me.

the best thing to do is.

1. Work out your finances. how much you can afford and want to spend.
2. Work out what you want take the cars for a good drive and on roads you would normaly drive one.
3. If you plan to mod down the track how much are parts and what do you want to do.

cheers

James

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Well for my purely unbiased opinion :) I would go for the XR8 :P

The aggresive looks and the 187 kw donk if you get the series II, fkn awesome.

The interior in a EL XR is still bloody nice, so i wouldnt complain. Also leather is harder to keep in good condition rather than the cloth trimmed seats.

More electrics..... just think of it as more things to go wrong lol... Thats how i see it. I absolutely hate electric windows even thou i only have two, they s**t me off. :x

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Well for my purely unbiased opinion :) I would go for the XR8 :P

The aggresive looks and the 187 kw donk if you get the series II, fkn awesome.

The interior in a EL XR is still bloody nice, so i wouldnt complain. Also leather is harder to keep in good condition rather than the cloth trimmed seats.

More electrics..... just think of it as more things to go wrong lol... Thats how i see it. I absolutely hate electric windows even thou i only have two, they s**t me off. :x

Leather HARDER to look after? You've gotta be kidding. I'm much rather get a bit of leather cleaner and protectant and do that twice a year then get the whole interior steam/dry cleaned.

Non-absorbant materials are far easier to clean and keep clean than absorbant materials.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next