Ford considers axing V8 Falcon 

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Ford considers axing V8 Falcon
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

from http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=51383&s_rid=smh:ClassiePuff
Quote:
Drive.com.au
Ford could again drop the V8 engine from the Falcon range in response to environmental concerns, while diesel power will at last be available for Falcon and Territory in 2010. By BRUCE NEWTON.

Will new FG XR8 be the last regular Falcon to be powered by a V8? Ford Australia is not guaranteeing the engine's presence in a future line-up.
Ford could drop the V8 engine for future Falcons.

With sales of Falcon dipping and emissions rules getting tougher, Ford Australia’s recently appointed president Bill Osborne is offering no guarantees a V8 engine is part of the Falcon’s future.

The 5.4-litre 'Boss' V8 has survived into the new FG Falcon line-up – on-sale in May 2008 – but only in one model: the hardcore Falcon XR8.

The 4.0-litre turbo six-cylinder has instead become the more widely used performance engine, employed in both the XR and G6 ranges.

The Falcon's six-cylinder turbo engine also outpaces the Falcon V8, easily besting it against the stopwatch in testing by Drive and other media outlets.

Despite being slower, the Falcon V8 is also thirstier. It slurps a claimed average of 14.0 litres per 100km, 20 per cent more than the turbo six-cylinder's claimed 11.7L/100km.

“Quite frankly we have not sorted out our V8 strategy going forward,” Osborne said at the Ford FG Falcon launch last week. “That is an open question.”

Ford’s quandary over V8s is in direct contrast to Holden, which has employed General Motors' American-sourced V8 family to great effect since the late '90s. HSV will soon begin selling a performance hero with a 7.0-litre V8, the biggest engine in any new production car sold in Australia. Standard HSVs will soon adopt a 6.2-litre V8, codenamed LS3.

The problem for Ford’s Australian division is its parent company’s move away from V8s to a strategy called ‘Ecoboost’ that embraces V6 engines with forced induction and direct injection. The V6 engines are aimed at retaining performance while improving fuel economy and emissions.

Therefore the larder is pretty bare when it comes V8 powertrains going forward. In the short term the current 5.4-litre V8 in Falcon and FPV models is expected to be modified to meet stricter Euro IV emissions levels that become mandatory mid-2010.

Beyond that Osborne confirmed a new 5.0-litre V8 to be developed and built in North America for the Ford Mustang was being examined for possible use in Ford's new Falcon.

“We have taken a look at [that V8] and it looks like it will be a pretty competitive engine, particularly if we decide to boost (turbocharge or supercharge) it as well,” said Osborne.

“We have to decide whether that is suitable for us, but we also have to compare those kinds of alternatives with the Ecoboost strategy. We will have to evaluate whether consumers here are wedded to V8s or to V8 [type] power and torque levels.

“One of the things we will be looking at is the sales mix of the I6 (inline six-cylinder) turbo [versus the V8].”

Osborne is conscious of the negative publicity that Ford Australia created when it dropped V8 engines from its line-up between 1982 and 1991.

While Ford waxes and wanes on V8s, there is no doubt it is progressing on a diesel engine for the Falcon and Territory. Ford is planning to introduce a turbo-diesel V6 in Territory in early 2010. This will follow on from a mild update for the Territory in the first half of 2009.

Both Territory and Falcon will change over from the locally-built inline six-cylinder to an imported petrol V6 in early 2010.

And diesel for the new Falcon? Territory is the priority, but if all goes well Ford would also like to adopt the diesel engine for the Falcon at the same time.

That Just F$%ken Wrong :twisted:

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

:? Well I must say, the I6 Turbo does have better fuel eco and runs better then the V8...according to stats and figures. Though it would be pretty gay to have no more V8s running about :?. Why don't they try and adopt technology from Europe to make V8s abide by the emission standards? I'm sure if European car companies can do it, why can't we?

If only the I6 engines were developed with better fuel eco like BMWs. Hate to see either of the engines go :(.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

atleast they are trying something different....
oh wait... they did it with xf and ea... not smart :P

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stupid emission Control
V8 sounds way better then I6's no offence and im really going to hate seeing a Ford Falcon V6 3.5litre s**t

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
the I6 Turbo does have better fuel eco

Dunno about that one phong... the T's can be very thursty, as soon as they start making boost you can pretty much whatch guage drop..

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Mr.Kiss wrote:
phongus wrote:

Dunno about that one phong... the T's can be very thursty, as soon as they start making boost you can pretty much whatch guage drop..

yeah well thats pretty simple science mate

if you want more power you're gonna need more fuel

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I'm glad to see Ford is well switched on and learning from its previous mistakes... ohh wait!!

only took them about 10 years to recover again after they finally brought it back. :roll:

i know we have the 6T now, but you simply cant beat the note of an 8

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Mr.Kiss wrote:
phongus wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of everyday driving...giving it a bit of boot every now and then but also not granny driving. If you are heavy footed, I guess no matter what you drive, fuel consumption will be high :lol:.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

They wont.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Does this mean, the new V8 (hurricane) isn't coming?

Or is some worhtless reporter trying to feel important for a day.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

a modern 5l sounds interesting :) we can bring it over here and adapt that to 5.6l and make it even better :D

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I wouldn't pay too much attention.. there's also reports flying around of all kinds of V8's being fitted to coming falcons.

The V6 is what everyone should be up in arms about :P

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I can't believe Ford Australia don't know by now, what kind of V8 Australians are 'wedded' to.
Power and Torque obviously. There not that out of touch are they?

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

nicco wrote:
only took them about 10 years to recover again after they finally brought it back. :roll:

It could be argued that they still haven't recovered. After all, Barra 220/230 sales were minimal, it was never advertised, and most people didn't even know you could get one.

Add to that, that Since VT the Ford V8 was always at a power defecit, and perceived technology defecit, (old fashioned Iron, vs shiny new Alloy)

Basically, every time Ford improved the Windsor, and then the Barra/Boss to equal the commodore, GM would go top the states and ask for the latest Corvette engine, and bingo. They "win."

Considering that the Newest HSV engine is going to be making 317ish Kw from 6.2L, and the Ford one is going to be making 315 from 5.4 says a lot about the engineering of the Ford engine, but the Holden will still be the "winner," perversely, because its bigger (pe3rsonally I think if you can make the same power, the smaller engine wins.. it works harder and doesn't take the lazy way of "biggest is best") because it will make 2kw more, and is lighter (if only marginally.)

Until Ford can out-cubic-inch and out-power the top end Commo V8, while being lighter and more fuel efficient at the same time, they won't "win" in the eyes of Joe Public. Just read any direct comparo from the last 12 years of Holden v Ford SS v XR8 comparo's and invariably you'll see the Ford engine described as a "lump" and the Chevy descibed as "slick"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next