Fordmods Logo

Fords and their electrically problems!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Fords and their electrically problems!!!
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Fords seem to have many electrical faults. My current problem is the dam thermo fans don't operate correctly. Yeh i've swapped all four relays, checked the fusible link, swapped the temp. sensor and checked the wiring. The fans only operate at half speed during any engine operating temperature. They don't go to full speed at all! When the A/C is turned on they run on full speed for about 20 seconds then revert back to slowwww speed and won't go back to high speed no matter how much you play with the fairmont climate control system. The fans should ideally go to high speed when the A/C is switch on to keep engine temp. down. Well, its got me stumped whats wrong with it! Might be my last Ford I reckon, too many problems, its either the locking system, starting systems, wiper delay, fading headlights or what ever else happens!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

E series falcons are now 12 years old at least now. What do you expect for an aussie built 12 year old car.

My fairlane rarely runs at high speed unless really warm. Do you have cooling issues??

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

yer my ea's 20 this year and it has been well looked after for the most part of it's life. (i know it's an ea but it has been a good car)

but still at that age i can't expect it to be reliable, don't think the badge matters much at that age.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Post subject: Re: Fords and their electrically problems!!!
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

mrfordfalcon wrote:
Fords seem to have many electrical faults. My current problem is the dam thermo fans don't operate correctly. Yeh i've swapped all four relays, checked the fusible link, swapped the temp. sensor and checked the wiring. The fans only operate at half speed during any engine operating temperature. They don't go to full speed at all! When the A/C is turned on they run on full speed for about 20 seconds then revert back to slowwww speed and won't go back to high speed no matter how much you play with the fairmont climate control system. The fans should ideally go to high speed when the A/C is switch on to keep engine temp. down. Well, its got me stumped whats wrong with it! Might be my last Ford I reckon, too many problems, its either the locking system, starting systems, wiper delay, fading headlights or what ever else happens!

Is it running hot?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Coolant temp is a big factor in what the fans do - if it's not overheating, you'll find the fans drop back to half speed to mearly maintain airflow through the radiator and A/C condenser.
There is an EEC test for the fans, as detailed in the docos here, the ECU even has fault codes for the relays.
A lot of people don't use or realise the amount of diagnostics at their disposal with these cars.
A quick method to test if the fans will run at full speed for overheating is to disconnect the coolant sensor plug.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]