Fordmods Logo

Gains to be had from multi-spark ignition? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Gains to be had from multi-spark ignition?
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday,

I have the MSD ready to run billet electronic ignition. It says in the manual that it can use the MSD multispark ignition systems. I was looking at the http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_6_6420.htm , Just wondering what kind of gains this would give and if its worth the $400 or so. I havent decided if I really want it yet, this model seems more suited to drag applications but it is just a rev limited version of the http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_4_6200.htm which promises power gains and better economy.

Im just after a streeter, I dont go down the strip, currently have a 351c with a crow 21666, extractors into 2.5" twins, port and polish with EVL valves and springs, edelbrock performer intake and 750 holley vac sec.

Thanks.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They are bassically the same...The L has the rev limiter.. If you don't have rev limiter ? Then I'd get the 6AL..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:15 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Thats the only difference I could spot too. Is there much benefit to multispark over a standard spark from my electronic ignition?

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Like most things like tuneing an engine.. Its realy worth it IF it needs it...But imo I'd fit it...
The multy spark and dissy didn't work for me due to having such low compression [7.8] I could run heaps of advance which caused havoc with crossfire in dissy cap. Also made worse by having a bloody good long spark dwell.. So in my case I went to DIS / wasted spark system.. I will be soon fitting MSD DIS 4 to feed all 4 coils...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:11 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Ok fair enough. Im running 9:1 I think. Should be getting the proper hei leads next week, hopefully that cuts back on any crossfire. Im not too sure about the dwell though. I should have everything running tomorrow if I can find a timing cover oil seal and a set of good intake gaskets on a sat.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]