gearboxes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: gearboxes
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1994 Ford Fairmont ed 5l v8

New Zealand

Hi all,
I have a 1994 fairmont ed 5l v8 and am wanting to convert it to a manual and am having trouble finding a gearbox. Ive been told that i need a t5 gearbox but every 1 i find is for a 6 not a 8. Is it possable to use the 6 box or 1 from a el or ef. Also apparantly holdens and toyotas have a t5 r they all the same just with diff bellhousing.
Thanx

Post subject: Re: gearboxes
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Nope you'll need a V8 T5 for EB-EL. Input shaft lengths are different and internals are also different.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

O ok thanx so the ef box will work r the bellhousings the same or do i need a bellhousing or a ed
Thanx

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Bell Housings are the same. You will also need ef-el pedal box or clutch pedal pin kit. Do a search on the forums, been asked a lot before.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

wod a pedal box and center consul frm a 6 cylinder work and r the ea/eb/ed/ef/el all the same

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Pedal box is the same in 6 and 8 cyls. EA/ED and EF/EL is a little different, but you can mod them to fit each other.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Castlemaine rod shop makes an adaptor bellhousing to fit a T5 from an inline 6 (3.9 or 4.0) to the windsor. BH107D is the part number from memory. It uses standard Ford 5.0 V8 parts like clutch fork, clutch, cable etc. The only other mods I had to do was get a LWB driveshaft shortened to suit, slightly open the gear shifter hole in the floor and elongate the crossmember bolt holes (all due to the I6 gearbox being slightly shorter than the V8 gerabox). I have run one of these behind a mildly built 5.0 windsor for the last 4 years and it continues to perform fine.

There is also another thread which says Mal Wood?? also makes a conversion kit, but this has a lengthened input shaft instead.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

xafalcon wrote:
Castlemaine rod shop makes an adaptor bellhousing to fit a T5 from an inline 6 (3.9 or 4.0) to the windsor. BH107D is the part number from memory. It uses standard Ford 5.0 V8 parts like clutch fork, clutch, cable etc. The only other mods I had to do was get a LWB driveshaft shortened to suit, slightly open the gear shifter hole in the floor and elongate the crossmember bolt holes (all due to the I6 gearbox being slightly shorter than the V8 gerabox). I have run one of these behind a mildly built 5.0 windsor for the last 4 years and it continues to perform fine.

There is also another thread which says Mal Wood?? also makes a conversion kit, but this has a lengthened input shaft instead.

where is Castlemarine rod shop and wat rufly did it cost you all up wod b keen to do this as i cannot find a v8 manual any where in nz. Cud u email details to cj.handley@hotmail.com if not to much trouble thanx

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]