GT40P Heads ???? 

Page 3 of 5 [ 63 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
jeffb wrote:
the GT40 tubular does flow a lot better, just the bottom of them needs to be ported to get them realy going, whereas the explorers are crap top and bottom

How do you figure that?

The GT40/Cobra/Explorer lowers are identical.

actually they are not, I have both, and the GT40 has bigger ports on the bottom, but they still need to be ported to flow well, and the upper flows much better than the explorer upper

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

xr8ute is right the explorer bottom is gt40 you can bolt a gt40 upper straight onto an explorer/gt40 bottom

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

jeffb wrote:
actually they are not, I have both, and the GT40 has bigger ports on the bottom, but they still need to be ported to flow well, and the upper flows much better than the explorer upper

Are you sure the lower hasn't been ported?

Are you able to measure the diametre of the port at the top (of the lower), and the height and width where it meets the cylinder head?

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

they are the same "configuration" so to speak, but they are not the same, the GT40 lower has larger ports.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=27507

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
jeffb wrote:

Are you sure the lower hasn't been ported?

Are you able to measure the diametre of the port at the top (of the lower), and the height and width where it meets the cylinder head?

the GT40 manifold is on my GT and I am not pulling it apart just to measure the ports, I had it apart when I changed the valve springs and noticed they were bigger to the explorer I had sitting under the bench, prior to that the motor had not been apart

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

kato wrote:
xb-coupe-351 wrote:
It has 70mm MAF + 24lb injectors, EL GT ECU, GT40 upper intake manifold with 10mm phenolic spacer, cold air induction and k&n panel filter.Dual 2.5" exhaust, Genie stainless extractors, Lukey mufflers. Producing 160rwkw (215rwhp)
quote]
Thats a decent hp figure with factory cam and heads??

Yes engine has never been opened......only bolt on mods, but I feel considering the money spend the gains are not that great......(like I said I did not do the mods bought the car as is and just cleaning things up), my ideal engine would be to stoke it once the heads are fitted and aim for about 200rwkw, which I feel is still fairly mild but would be fun to drive for a daily driver and would scare some of those jap boxes out there....it rarely gets beaten off the lights anyway as is, but better to be sure :D

Here is the last dyno sheet from croyden motorsport, who did most of the mods as far as I understand.....

Attachments:
MikesELxr8_dyno2.jpg
MikesELxr8_dyno2.jpg [ 19.79 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That really is pretty decent power from stock E7 heads, and stock cam.

GT40P's and a mild cam like Crane 2030/2031 will have you at about 200rwkw....but if you can cough up the $$$ for AFR165's, and an ebrock performer manifold (or similar) I reckon you would be more like 220rwkw with the same cam.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i got 158 but i have cam and stock heads have a bit of porting done. not sure to what extent. i bought the car as is. by swapping to explorer/gt40p setup what sort of gains would there be, roughly. 20rwkw?? more? less?

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:13 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

hard to say, but At a guess it would breath heaps better....more air/fuel in more power out :wink:

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
i got 158 but i have cam and stock heads have a bit of porting done. not sure to what extent. i bought the car as is. by swapping to explorer/gt40p setup what sort of gains would there be, roughly. 20rwkw?? more? less?

Depends on which cam are you running?

Are you still using the stock 55mm MAF? That would be a bottleneck at this level too.

Explorer intake manifold, GT40P's, a 70mm MAF and a decent tune would get you somwhere in the range 180-200rwkw.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

mafless! 65mm t/b. i guess if i upgrade from the throttle body onwards i could expect a result on the positive side of 180ish. rwkw. prolly looking at close to 2k for heads, intake and t/b though. power's not cheap though is it. unless you have forced induction.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU2 V8

WA, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
Depends on which cam are you running?

Are you still using the stock 55mm MAF? That would be a bottleneck at this level too.

Explorer intake manifold, GT40P's, a 70mm MAF and a decent tune would get you somwhere in the range 180-200rwkw.

one question i have is: if all these mods make so much difference, how come my au2 that already comes stock with gp40p's, explorer manifold, 65mm tb, underdrive pulley and whatever else, still has only 185kw flywheel plus maybe a bit extra for the headers and exhaust and k&n, and still seems barely any quicker than a 6???
did ford put the mods on and then do nothing to the tune to make use of them??

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte
- Pacies + exhaust + XR8 17's + Tickford suspension

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The cam is the biggest restriction of the AU engine which is why you see such good gains with a change of cam

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yep, as offyaguts said......cam and tune really let the AU down (with the possible exception of the 220kw motor).

The right cam, and a good tune will get you there.

And be careful of the "a*** dyno" aka "seat of the pants dyno". What it feels like and what it actually runs can be miles apart.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
mafless! 65mm t/b. i guess if i upgrade from the throttle body onwards i could expect a result on the positive side of 180ish. rwkw. prolly looking at close to 2k for heads, intake and t/b though. power's not cheap though is it. unless you have forced induction.

Mafless is cool.

So you already have a 65mm TB? IMO, its not worth going any bigger on a mild n/a setup.

Somewhere between 1500-2000 to do the swap....almost cheaper to buy an AU V8 out of a wreck and sell of your current motor.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next