Fordmods Logo

GT40p heads 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: GT40p heads
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4

Joined: 8th Mar 2006

Ride: 2000 cobra R mustang

Location: Melb
VIC, Australia

ok, recently the headgasket in my car blew itself at around the 170 thousand km mark in the EB, but it is still driveable atm. So the quote to fix up the head gasket will cost us $1800. So............ why not upgrade rather then to rebuild the E7 heads.

So basically me and my old man have been planning and talking a fair bit as what we are going to do with the engine. The goal is to push around the 200rwk mark (without stroking). In the next couple of days we are going o start by getting a set of brand new gt40p heads for a price we couldnt refuse....!! But the issue is that we are literally going to build the engine up in stages, rather than doing heads, cam, roller rockers etc all at once (as funds dont permit at this stage). Basically we are going to install the heads and repair the gasket and anything else that may come along.

Before we get the heads put on i'am wanting to get the GT40's port and polished. I have a few question that maybee you guys can help me with:

Where can i get the heads port and polished from? (taking in mind i dont want to do them myself) how much would it cost roughly, and should i actually do this to the heads (which i really want to do)?

Keeping in mind im leaving everything else in the engine alone as we dont have the cash to do everything else. By port and polishing the heads, can the stock internals handle that? eg. cam, roller rockers, valves? would i need to upgrade anything else, or can i simply port polish the heads and put them onto the stock 165kw windsor with no dramas?

The engine itself is stock, but i do have a full exhasut system, including pacies, high flow cats and 2.5inch exhaust. If i get the heads port and polished, what differences in airflow would be acheived in relation to the GT40p stock figure outputs of intake and exhaust flow rates?

I will be doing everything else later on though to compensate for the port and polished heads, such as proper cam, inlet manifold, tune, injectors, maf etc. Basically can i get away with port polishing the heads now, so i dont have to do it later? and would the engine be ok with this until i start to do other things within the engine?

One more question, do the iron cast GT40p heads weigh more then the stock E7? if so, by how much?

Any information in regards to this will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Eren
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: GT40p heads
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

SVT wrote:
So basically me and my old man have been planning and talking a fair bit as what we are going to do with the engine. The goal is to push around the 200rwk mark (without stroking).

Can be done but you will likely outlay thousands to do so.

SVT wrote:
Keeping in mind im leaving everything else in the engine alone as we dont have the cash to do everything else. By port and polishing the heads, can the stock internals handle that? eg. cam, roller rockers, valves? would i need to upgrade anything else, or can i simply port polish the heads and put them onto the stock 165kw windsor with no dramas?

Yes.

SVT wrote:
I will be doing everything else later on though to compensate for the port and polished heads, such as proper cam, inlet manifold, tune, injectors, maf etc. Basically can i get away with port polishing the heads now, so i dont have to do it later? and would the engine be ok with this until i start to do other things within the engine?

You betcha.

SVT wrote:
One more question, do the iron cast GT40p heads weigh more then the stock E7? if so, by how much?

Doubt it, they both weigh about the same ~ F**k heavy!

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 85

Posts: 1088

Joined: 30th Jan 2005

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Mate, knock 30 off the heads, get some 1.7 rockers, dont bother porting, you would be better off buying alloys. Get onto crow cams, get one of the T3 cams they have left, bolt her in 4 up and hang on. Proven combo that is plenty fun.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 124

Joined: 2nd Apr 2005

Ride: Fairmont

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

If if was me i'd just buy a used 200kw or 220kw from an AU which already has the decent manifolds, heads, rockers etc. These days they can be had for about $2K from the wreckers. All you need to do later down the track is pull the heads and give them a clean, cam and extractors - done.

 

_________________

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: GT40p heads
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:40 am 
Commercial Sponsor
Offline

Posts: 350

Joined: 28th Apr 2007

Ride: Falcon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
SVT wrote:
So basically me and my old man have been planning and talking a fair bit as what we are going to do with the engine. The goal is to push around the 200rwk mark (without stroking).

Can be done but you will likely outlay thousands to do so.

SVT wrote:
Keeping in mind im leaving everything else in the engine alone as we dont have the cash to do everything else. By port and polishing the heads, can the stock internals handle that? eg. cam, roller rockers, valves? would i need to upgrade anything else, or can i simply port polish the heads and put them onto the stock 165kw windsor with no dramas?

Yes.

SVT wrote:
I will be doing everything else later on though to compensate for the port and polished heads, such as proper cam, inlet manifold, tune, injectors, maf etc. Basically can i get away with port polishing the heads now, so i dont have to do it later? and would the engine be ok with this until i start to do other things within the engine?

You betcha.

SVT wrote:
One more question, do the iron cast GT40p heads weigh more then the stock E7? if so, by how much?

Doubt it, they both weigh about the same ~ F**k heavy!


i'm with you

definately port
cam @ same time
the get a ecu the afm restricts too much!

i may still have a gt afm and adaptor here but your better of with a ecu!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 504

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Chich wrote:
If if was me i'd just buy a used 200kw or 220kw from an AU which already has the decent manifolds, heads, rockers etc. These days they can be had for about $2K from the wreckers. All you need to do later down the track is pull the heads and give them a clean, cam and extractors - done.


Which I just happen to be selling...

 

_________________

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 64

Posts: 225

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

Location: perth
WA, Australia

For the cost GT40Ps & then porting - get Edelbrocks alloy around $1700.
Richie.

 

_________________

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names