GT40Ps and Cobra manifold are go 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: GT40Ps and Cobra manifold are go
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

Fired the EF up today, after I figured out I had a misfire ( It was lumpier than I expected) and had to change in my old dizzy cap, go figure, it was fine when I shut it down for the work, but I'm heaps happy, no leaks so far, crosses fingers and toes, and everything is holding together, crossing everything else, it's been a while since I did any real mech work.

Obviously the ECU is still learning but I can already feal the difference, power delivery is smoother, and there seems to be more of it, I appear to have acheived my aim of getting more response in the 80-100kph rev range in D for dumb mode, lock into 2nd or 3rd and it's even more fun than it used to be.

I'd throw up the pics but my camera is playing up, there's not that much to see really, not even my custom made throttle cable bracket mount :wink: can be seen.

Many thanks to those that answered my questions before and during the process, but here's one for after, what should I setting the timing at for best results, I'm only using normal unleaded most of the time, I see the timing marker bracket and the slot on the crankshaft balancer, but no other marks for degree increments, what the best I can use.

cheers

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Good to hear it is all working. On all the balancers I have seen, stock and aftermarket there are numbers on the crank balancer. I would just set it to the factory specs of 30deg (in diagnostic mode) for unleaded, the GT40P's are a fast burn combustion chamber design which can increase the tendance to ping. Could try 32-34 degrees but listen for any pinging and back it off if there is, or change to PULP.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Good to hear it is all working. On all the balancers I have seen, stock and aftermarket there are numbers on the crank balancer. I would just set it to the factory specs of 30deg (in diagnostic mode) for unleaded, the GT40P's are a fast burn combustion chamber design which can increase the tendance to ping. Could try 32-34 degrees but listen for any pinging and back it off if there is, or change to PULP.

O.K, last V8 I timed was to old to know what a diagnostic mode is, and I'm sure I don't, how what and where do I find such a mode in an EF...

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Under the fuse panel you will find the diagnostic plug, you need to short out the top and bottom left hand pins, this will put the engine into diagnostics mode. Start the engine up and wait until it revs up and holds at around 2000-2500rpm, this is when you check and adjust timing.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Throw a picture up of the intake and the throttle bracket when you have a chance.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
Throw a picture up of the intake and the throttle bracket when you have a chance.

got some pics off, I have heaps more of the process in stages from start to finish, but these should do, there's a before, middle and after shot, one showing the 3/8 phenolic spacer and some of the bracket.

just ckick the link to browse through them

http://members.iinet.net.au/~williewonker/stuff/

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Was it just the heads and intake manifold that you swapped or were there more items?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
Was it just the heads and intake manifold that you swapped or were there more items?

I had to blow the pictures away to free up some webspace (someone tell me how to upload pics to the gallery please), this run I only changed the heads and manifolds, this included losing the EGR spacer, as the cobra has it built in, previously I had put on a 70mm Pro-M MAF, bigger TB, underdrive pulleys, and bigger snorkel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]