GT40X spring machining 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: GT40X spring machining
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

hi guys, i'm a newbie.

i am currently in the states and am going to purchase a set of FMS GT40X alloy heads complete...so much cheaper in US (US$989set) :D i know there are better heads out there (AFR, TFS), but i am keeping with the GT40/tickford theme. plus they are a good set of heads. i will be porting lower intake.

however, i am going to get a little bit of porting/clean-up done to heads. but are the std single Gt40 springs good enough for say a E cam, TFS2, 2031. i am thinking maybe i need dble springs.

will machining need to be done? also i am assuming that the 58cc heads have more compression than the 63cc

cheers

also, any thoughts on these heads

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Mate, I am pretty sure the springs are good for any Ford Racing cam, but look in the catalogue, its all there, or the guys you buy from will know.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

You really need to know which cam you will be running before you decide on springs.

The std springs are too light over the nose for the 2030/2031. From memory, I think thestd springs are 110lbs closed (@ 1.80" installed) and about 270lbs (@ 0.500" lift). The 2030 needs more like 340+ open...

Spring machining is pretty straightforward. You'll save yourself some cash if you disassemble the heads first. The std spring cups are pressed on, so they are a bit of a prick to remove (I cut a groove in them with a small stone on a die grinder, then cracked them off with a chisel).

Make sure you buy new spring cups or locators with your new springs/retainers/locks.

If you are buying these heads for a 302, then definitely get the 58cc version (for more compression).

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks guys,

does anyone know if the pushrods can be re-used? am planning on keeping the YT 1.72 RR, that came std with the AU2 XR8 (220kw) (they willfit right?). i'm thinking i'll be pretty lucky if i can though. matter of getting a rod length tool.

any thoughts on a good cam? i leaning towards a CC XE274HR. not too big, not too small, but just right! hopefully will compliment head/intake. should be nice and revvy.

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TKFDXR8 wrote:
Does anyone know if the pushrods can be re-used? am planning on keeping the YT 1.72 RR, that came std with the AU2 XR8 (220kw) (they willfit right?). i'm thinking i'll be pretty lucky if i can though. matter of getting a rod length tool.

You'll just need to measure it when you are assembling.

If they are the right length, then good, otherwise you'll have to buy new.

You need to consider valve train geometry as well as correct lifter preload. This can be tricky enough even with the correct pushrod length....if you can afford it, the adjustable rockers will make life much easier.

That comp cam is starting to get big on a 302. Would be real nice with the right combo though.....What sort of compression, diff gear, converter (auto?) do you plan on running?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

probably right about cam. might sway towards XE270HR.

RR's are std adjustable yella terra's that came out on AU2. the car is an auto with the std 3.45 FD. will keep std explorer intake but will port. these can flow to 250cfm when ported. will keep current 70mm TB and MAF

stock GT40X heads flow 240cfm IN, so may do a bit of cleanup porting, but not much.

i;m planning of removing engine to do cam/head swap, and clean up some of that surface rust :x . has anyone ver done a backyard engine lift? is it painful and worth it?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

...sorry the RR's are not adjustible are they :oops:

any case, can't afford them. so i'll just have to dive in and test the water.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TKFDXR8 wrote:
...sorry the RR's are not adjustible are they :oops:

Correct ;)

At least make sure you've got enough lifter preload....may need longer pushrods.

You will need to buy/borrow/make an adjustable pushrod to measure this properly.

If necessary, you can adjust geometry by shimming or shaving the rocker pedastal as well.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I used the stock GT40 springs on my XR264 cam with the 1.7 rockers with no probs. Best to check the springs beforehand when you know which cam you are using. I have a mate with an XE270HR brand new that he couldn't use because they were supposed to supply a reduced base circle cam for his 351. He bought another cam because they wouldn't exchange it even though they were at fault!? Anyone want to buy it?

Pete.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

thanks mate,

where are these tester pushrods avail. i am from darwin. can you get them at repco, etc.

also where would i get all the necessary equip for cam change, ie. degree wheel, dial-in, etc. can you hire?

when removing engine, do you have to remove auto aswell?

cheers

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

it's alright found 'em..below link. comp cams one. $US20 ($AS26)

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... re_Code=CC

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

also found this...

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]