Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Have I been dudded??
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

NSW, Australia

Hey boys,
Just taken delivery of my heads and manifold, supposidly off a series 3 au xr8.
.First of all i thought the series 3 had a tickford logo on the throttle body 70mm, this one has no logo but seems to measure 70mm ID???

Secondly the series 3 had machining on the intake and head (matched) There is no sign of anything like that, the ports a fairly standard feeling..
Was the port matching done on the join in the upper and lower parts of the manifold?? or on the manifold to head?
The last trick is my heads came with yella terra roller rockers....Were the factory roller rockers on series 3 yella terra branded or are these most likely aftermarket stuff..
Lastly have i paid too much $1500.00, everthing seems to be in good order just a few issues to check on.

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Yes series 3 220kw throttle bodies did have tickford wings and have the EGR spacer built into them, unlike earlier ones which had a seperate spacer and throttle body. It sounds like yours is the 65mm standard one, that will also measure around 70mm at the opening but narrows down towards the TB butterfly.

The machining on the intake manifold is at the lower manifold to head gasket surface (not that much machining but still should be fairly noticable) and at the throttle body opening of the upper intake.

And yes series 3 220kw heads had Yella terra roller rockers, earlier models had ford/crane brand.

What did you get for $1500? if it was the intake, TB, roller rockers and heads then you did extremely well.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yeah got the heads,manifold,TB and rollers for $1500, i may measure valve diameters to see if valves are standard size..If it turns out that it is not the series 3 stuff the heads etc should still flow decent? Are injectors higher flow and can i re-use my EF ones as clip will need to be modified otherwise?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

that is a great price for what you got .if you bout this seperatly you could pay up to 3grand.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes then its a very good price, heads alone normally go for around $800-1k for stock GT40P's and $1200+ for the tickford ones, manifold is worth $600+, rockers $400+, TB $200.

The injectors are 24lb so yeah they are bigger than your stock 19lb ones but to run them you will need to change the wiring over, and either run a recalibrated MAF ($400) or a chip. Dependign on what other mods you are doing you could stay with your stock injectors but if you are putting in a decent cam (you really should with all this new nice flowing stuff) then you will be getting close to the limits of the 19lb injectors. Make sure you at least get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you can add a bit more fuel up high.

If you look in my gallery you will see a pic of the tickford modified GT40P's. The stock GT40P valves look quite different and are dished inwards. You will also see there is machining to the left of the inlet valve (where the combustion chamber bows outwards) and there is also a bit on the spark plug boss too so the valve will clear it. If you also look in the intake runners you will notice a little bit of machining around the start of the inlet port, just to gasket match it to the inlet.

But even if the stuff is not the series 3 220kw parts, it still flows far more than your stock stuff and normally enough for around 180rwkw on a 5L with a decent cam.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

If i did run my standard injectors (19lb) would this be ok ? As my goal is 180-190rwkw's, and will i need to run the AU computer to get this set up to work? or will my original ecu work alright, as i will be changing the cam at the same time??
Thanks

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

With 180-190rwkw you will need 24lb injectors, I have seen that sort of power out of 19lb injectors running very high fuel pressure but its not reliable and asking from trouble IMO. With the change of injectors you will also need a matching MAF or something like a chiptorque.

And keep your EEC, the earlier EEC's (EB-EL) seem to adapt to mods much easier than AU ones, plus converting over to an AU EEC would be a real pain.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Are all AU v8 injectors 24lb? just not 100% that these parts are tickford parts? What sort of power figures would i realistically see out of this motor:gt40p heads, explorer manifold, pacemaker headers, decent cam, roller rockers and free flowing exhaust, if i run my 19lb injectors??

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

If they are blue then they are 24lb, if orange/yellow then they are 19lb. Realistic power figures from that engien combo would be 160-180rwkw depending on cam but as I said that would be pushing the stock injectors to the max even at higher fuel pressures. You could just rely on an adjustable fuel reg to bump up the pressure with your 19lb injectors but there are problems with this method and IMO it is very likely to cause damage in the long run.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ok so if I run these 24lb injectors, what is needed to set it up properly, can i just change the injector plug or is it more complex? If you could run me through wat is needed and a rough cost, that would be much help as i am a bit unsure??
Thanks EDXR8 for your help so far..

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

To run the 24lb injectors you will need to find some injector plugs, really not sure where to start looking or how much they would be but I think you may find it a bit difficult. You may find it easier to get some 24lb injectors with the correct plug, magna bluetop injectors (cheap from a wrecker) or Ford Motorsport 24lb injectors (about $400 new) are what to look for.

On top of that you will need either a new MAF calibrated for the 24lb injectors (about $400) or a chip (chiptorque's are around $650 from memory).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]