Help on thermo fan install 

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Help on thermo fan install
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

What sensor does the EF/L use? There are so many EF/L's and AU's at wrecking yards here, i can just go and get what i need, plus they are cheap.

Either that or i will check out where i could mount the tridon switch and figure out which one i need and do what you said.

Would prob' only need the fans on low for AC? AS it never gets hot here anyway.

I'll do some hunting and see what i can find out!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the EF/EL do not have a switch for the thermos...

they have the one sender (not a switch but a variable sender) and it talks to the computer... when the computer senses the need for fans, be it too hot or the ac... it turns them on at whatever speed it sees fit... you need one of those tridon switches (not a sender)... its only if it has a funny connector that you need the plug off the required car...

you pick a switch off their website... pick it the right temps you require the fans on at... and pick the right thread, unless you drilling a hole and tapping a thread, in case pick a thread you have a tap for...

tell me... I'll have a look and see what is needed to hook onto it and wire it up... I'll get back to you and tell you what you need to source to do it... and once we agree I'll draw how to wire it...

Sound like a deal?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

timmytimtim wrote:
the EF/EL do not have a switch for the thermos...

they have the one sender (not a switch but a variable sender) and it talks to the computer... when the computer senses the need for fans, be it too hot or the ac... it turns them on at whatever speed it sees fit... you need one of those tridon switches (not a sender)... its only if it has a funny connector that you need the plug off the required car...

you pick a switch off their website... pick it the right temps you require the fans on at... and pick the right thread, unless you drilling a hole and tapping a thread, in case pick a thread you have a tap for...

tell me... I'll have a look and see what is needed to hook onto it and wire it up... I'll get back to you and tell you what you need to source to do it... and once we agree I'll draw how to wire it...

Sound like a deal?

Cheers,
Tim

Bloody ripper mate! I just had a look at my spare thermostat housing, found a perfect place for the switch, i have a tap and die set so i'll find out what size etc i need and will get back to you.

Cheers!

Attachments:
DSC01847.JPG
DSC01847.JPG [ 268.73 KiB | Viewed 219 times ]

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

that'll look s**t hot there...

check the website... M12 & M14 are on there... you'll need to compare a pitch and see what you can get your hands on... before I was updating to a EEC-V in the ED i was going to use the spare bung on the thermostat housing but its a rare size on their site and couldn't get the right temps for my application... so when I learnt about j3 chips I decided I'd just run a EL computer and go that way...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, i think it will be an M16 thread, as that is about the size of the middle of the bore, i could go M18 but that would need a fair amount of meat taken out of the housing. So i've looked at these: TFS123, TFS140 (open)(looks like E/AU series plug styles), TFS197(closed)

What style of switch am i meant to be looking for, normally open, normally closed, ground etc?

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

timmytimtim wrote:
that'll look s**t hot there...

check the website... M12 & M14 are on there... you'll need to compare a pitch and see what you can get your hands on... before I was updating to a EEC-V in the ED i was going to use the spare bung on the thermostat housing but its a rare size on their site and couldn't get the right temps for my application... so when I learnt about j3 chips I decided I'd just run a EL computer and go that way...

Cheers,
Tim

So did you find out what temp range suits the V8 before upgrading??

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

oh yeah... your looking for normally opens... but two sets of contacts... shown in the picy near TFS107... the two you listed only have one set of contacts...

So the TFS 107 I think they way they work is the fans would work like:

Fan Low On: 91
Fan Low Off: 86
Fan High On: 99
Fan High Off: 94

no I couldn't really decided... what temp thermostat are you running? there is no point the fans being on if the thermostat is closed... If its 90C like I think the 6's are... its up to you... but maybe 95 and 100 to come on? Somewhere around that... Really don't know... you can only suck it and see... you' will either notice it running a tad hot if you go to high with the on setting... or the thermos will be running too much if you go to low... Your call really... I couldn't decide, hence why I was happy to run the EEC-V computer

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

timmytimtim wrote:
oh yeah... your looking for normally opens... but two sets of contacts... shown in the picy near TFS107... the two you listed only have one set of contacts...

no I couldn't really decided... what temp thermostat are you running? there is no point the fans being on if the thermostat is closed... If its 90C like I think the 6's are... its up to you... but maybe 95 and 100 to come on? Somewhere around that... Really don't know... you can only suck it and see... you' will either notice it running a tad hot if you go to high with the on setting... or the thermos will be running too much if you go to low... Your call really... I couldn't decide, hence why I was happy to run the EEC-V computer

Cheers,
Tim

The ones i looked at had twin contacts, they were just in a plug that's all.What about this guy: TFS169

I'm not too sure what thermostat i'm running either, will check that before i grab the sensor/switch.

So hypothetically speaking, i've "bought" the switch, could i trouble you to sketch up a wiring diagram?

Cheers!

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I'll be keepin eye on this as i would like to that to my ED,
Can you let me know how you go XFWAGON?.

Cheers,
Jason.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

The ones i looked at had twin contacts, they were just in a plug that's all.What about this guy: TFS169

I'm not too sure what thermostat i'm running either, will check that before i grab the sensor/switch.

So hypothetically speaking, i've "bought" the switch, could i trouble you to sketch up a wiring diagram?

Cheers!

Hi there,

The 169 still only has one set of contacts... It has 2 pins on it yes... But only has on set of contacts inside it...

You need two sets of contacts inside it so that one set close first and bring on low speed, and then the second set close when higher and bring on high speed...

169 1 Set of Contacts 2 Pins
107 2 Sets of Contacts 3 Pins

All there Dual contact ones seem to have 3 pins... So look for one of them...

I'll start drawing something up shortly...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

PM sent...

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3