How fast is a v8 BA Fairmont Ghia? 

Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

there was another thread of a el xr6 verses vs ss and no one thinks the xr6 should keep up but use belive that it can beat a 220kw v8?

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:20 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Go the 3V Fairmont.
Take the poxy 6cyl exhaust they come with off it and fit a real dual 2 1/2" system and headers and the XR6 will never get close to beating it.
Or leave it dead stock and get BPT to reflash it and the same thing will happen.
BPT has a manual 5.4 ute that did 14.4 dead stock(it doesn't even have an LSD!). A reflash pumped it up to give a little more than 190rwkw and even more low and mid range torque than it had already!

Pete.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
there was another thread of a el xr6 verses vs ss and no one thinks the xr6 should keep up but use belive that it can beat a 220kw v8?

that's because a 5.7 is quick!
i can tell you i've dragged both of these cars with my el and put the ba's to bed, they're not quick at all stock.
yeah they're got mod potential, i mean, it's a 5.4L v8, but xr9ute what sort of bolt ons are you talking?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah jmc-007's stock ba ghia v8 kept my car honest.
Granted mine was running a bit s**t at the time, and still is :(

The specs they have for quarter/0-100 times are deceptive of what they go like on the street.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
Yeah jmc-007's stock ba ghia v8 kept my car honest.
Granted mine was running a bit s**t at the time, and still is :(

The specs they have for quarter/0-100 times are deceptive of what they go like on the street.

i'd disagree, they're really disappointing on the street, and for that matter, so are the xr8s.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Compared to what? If it's an LS1 I agree, but compared to a 4.0L six.... they win.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:30 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

YTMONT wrote:
4dlvr wrote:

that's because a 5.7 is quick!
i can tell you i've dragged both of these cars with my el and put the ba's to bed, they're not quick at all stock.
yeah they're got mod potential, i mean, it's a 5.4L v8, but xr9ute what sort of bolt ons are you talking?

The ute did 14.4 stock.....that means dead stock, no bolt ons. The reflash bumped it up from 160kw to 190odd. They have yet to race it again.
I've seen a BA Fairmont making 224rwkw with just cold air,headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust.
These cars are strangled by the exhaust...it really is six cylinder sized. The BF gets a slightly bigger one hence the 230kw rating but it's still too small. The 3V head is a good flowing piece so headers and exhaust wake em up big time.
BTW I was going to replace my XE with a BF manual 5.4 ute but they have discontinued the manual 3V!?!?! Reckon it's to do with towing capacity...I said "I don't want to tow any f**k thing!"
Then I said "find me a mint second hand BA manual and I'll buy it"....Haven't heard Jack from the pricks! So it's Cougar Time!

Pete.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
I would think a manual fairmont v8 would be able to bag a high 14/low 15.

The XR6 was available from the dealer as a manual. Was the V8 Fairmont?? With the reintroduction of the V8 in the EB1, manual V8's were only available in Tickford form. Have Ford changed that since then. I don't think so, at least not with the Fairmonts.

Having to retrofit a manual, you then start comparing modified to modified, & it will depend entirely on the mods. The posting will be to & fro like a tennis match, until we realise that 10 seconds from a street car (after **charging, roll cage & other bits) is impractical on the street & has no relevance to the original post.

As Cooper69s said, the BA Fairmont should be a nice car (go over it with a fine tooth comb first & be wary of any engine noises) so drive it & see if you like it. It will be a comfortable, well handling cruiser (which a Fairmont should be) & will tow a boat or caravan with ease. Should be about the same on the 0-100 & 400m dash as an E series XR6, with potential for more. You know, more $$$, more revs, more wear, more noise, more fuel, more gear changing & ultimately, you would end up with less of a Fairmont.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU2 V8

WA, Australia

I don't think manual's are available in anything but xt and xr's (maybe futura not sure) but certainly not fairmonts. also my comments before about the BA ghia don't all apply to a fairmont. i'd say if anyone's in the market for a ba fairmont, forget it and find a ghia - almost $10k more expensive when new but hardly any difference now s/h... fmont misses out on heaps of the ghia features esp the standard sports suspension, so the comment on here before about ba's being floaty would probably be true for a mont but not the ghia - it feels great on the highway...

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte
- Pacies + exhaust + XR8 17's + Tickford suspension

Last edited by Cooper69s on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I've driven a 5 speed 5.4 XT and XR8 and they go pretty good but an auto 5.4 will need to be modded if you want it to feel quick. They are quick but they dont feel like it anyway. They do have plenty of potential though.

I took a 5.4 G220 Fairlane around Mt Panorama to see how it would go and what better place to test a car? It was gutless.....My wagon goes better.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

actually i think the vs ss is a 5.0 v8 and is not a ls1 either.
this is the thread: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35856
on average a fairmont v8 should be able to pull low 15's easly and possibly high 14's. good time considering its about 1700kg

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I've driven a 5 speed 5.4 XT and XR8 and they go pretty good but an auto 5.4 will need to be modded if you want it to feel quick. They are quick but they dont feel like it anyway. They do have plenty of potential though.

I took a 5.4 G220 Fairlane around Mt Panorama to see how it would go and what better place to test a car? It was gutless.....My wagon goes better.

hahah the fairlanes are pretty damn heavy.
aren't the cops pretty strict on going hard around mt panorama?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
actually i think the vs ss is a 5.0 v8 and is not a ls1 either

Exactly....the VS SS is the old 5.0L holden V8. And if it was a series one, then it only had 168kw (series two had 185kw).

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

in stock form the 3v does feel very slow :| once you get some bolt ons (full exhaust, blue power cai, custom tune) you will be good for high 12s low 13s (in a man) and around 240rwkw. and the torque difference is incredible! after driving the done up version i was hooked, and starting my engine upgrade on monday :)

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

A good comparison:

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 VS BA Fairmont Ghia V8

EL had me of the line, and then I caught up to him through second and started SLOWLY pulling past him.

The BA Fairmont Ghias have a s**t of torque and power, but why limits them at 5200? They just start breathing there.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 7  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next