Fordmods Logo

How much CFM do the Trickflow manifolds flow???? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: manifold
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well the Box r type from trickflow is the best flowing manifold they have and does out do there other manifolds by far but the runner length is 9.75 and is a 3000rpm-8000rpm manifold. Now my cam cuts in at 3000rpm and pulls all the way till 67000rpm red line, so im assuming with the box type from trickflow ill have good top end but bottem end will not be as good as my current trickflow manifold.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

In a nutshell, yep. That's the typical torque for horsepower trade off. Longer runners produce torque, shorter runners produce power. Without a dual runner length manifold (like the BBM on Ford 6cyl motors since the EF) you have to make a choice. What is more important to you? A peak number on a dyno or a useful torque curve across the midrange?

To get the best from your motor you should stop this obsession with flow & start thinking in terms of velocity. When that column of air gets moving it can force itself into the chamber well past BDC (until the valve stops it). The bigger the port or intake tract (the smaller the cubes & lower the rpm), the slower it will be, severely limiting this effect. Flow without velocity therefore, will not produce any power. Cubes & runner length need to create maximum intake velocity at the correct rpm for the motors use. For more info on intake charge events & how cylinder filling works, read this. (What I'm referring to is explained in Intake Closes- When and Why, but start reading from the top). http://www.iskycams.com/degreeing.html

The box upper may not even make any more HP. It's possible that you current manifold can pretty much keep up with the flow of the heads (depends on exactly which manifold & heads you have) & 35% shorter runners (assuming trickflow street) will lose mountains torque & may not see enough rpm to make up for it. Just look at the example that I posted the link to earlier of the VIC EFI falling flat on its face all the way up to 6250rpm. If it was to make more power after that, it would be way too little, way too late.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Post subject: intake
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Geez sam12h your very helpful dude, now having read your last post, things that im thinking. Find out how much my heads flow, find out what are my cam specs. From there i have to sit down and figure out what length runner will suit this setup i have and what i want to achieve from my setup. IM ALREADY GETTING A HEADACHE

For example, if my current manifold and its runner are the correct length then maybe i should look into extrude honing aka porting of the manifold???

I currently have 280rwhp with 686ftlb torque, id love to crack 300rwhp and maintain torque. So im thinking maybe the RPM11 manifold with a BBK 75mm throttle boddie and underdrive pulley's from BTR which i just got will help me achieve this.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2