Fordmods Logo

How much CFM do the Trickflow manifolds flow???? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: How much CFM do the Trickflow manifolds flow????
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey ppl,

Im just curious on how much the Trickflow manifolds flow? :D

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

The 15" runner street manifold is 245cfm @ 28" wc according to this trickflow page
http://www.trickflow.com/media/pr/pdf/e ... old%20cfm'

Outright flow ain't everything though. This article will interest you as you seem to be on the hunt for an intake. Written pre RPM2 & BBK though.
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/media/intake1.htm

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Post subject: injection
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh im thinking of going a injection perfection carby type injection as they there rated 1000cfm & will be a cheaper alturnative than going 8 throttle boddie setup but then again not as good as the 8 throttle etup.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: injection
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:30 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Unless you have big cubic inches or high rpm... both the carb type and the eight throttle type will provide less performance than a long runner intake.

Pete.

Post subject: injection
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So you saying the the 8 throttle boddie or carb injection type will make my motor go backwards?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Depends on the motor, was it built for a race car? ie. lots of cubes turning lots of rpm, never to see a hillstart, caravan, highway, mountain pass, speed limit or traffic light? If not you had best be reading the article I gave you the link to & others like it.

PS. The engine in that intake comparo was only a 5.0L, but it had a rev limit higher than stock & the basic specs for the AFM N 65 cam it has are:
226/234@.050 .568/.568 with a 1.6 rocker 110lca

Post subject: Re: injection
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:21 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
So you saying the the 8 throttle boddie or carb injection type will make my motor go backwards?

Quite possibly, but, as Sam says...Depends on your engine spec?

Pete.

Post subject: motor
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its very hard for me to believe as sam said to me if i go 8 throttle boddie setup my motor would make alot more power.

I'll give you guyz a run down of the motor

Eagle crank & rods stroker to a 347 with SPR pistons
AFR heads
Decent cam (something about 600 lift) pretty lumpy cam when u hear it the car running, and cam cuts in hard after 3 grand all the way to 6700rpm rev limiter

Sam said the manifold is restricting the motor big time & feels the manifold on my car is s**t in his exact words but in a standard application may be a good manifold.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:10 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ok which AFR heads and what compression, pretty lumpy cam with .600" lift...what duration @ .050" and what lobe separation does it have?
What intake is he calling a piece of s**t?

Pete.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

347 eh? This article may interest you then. Note that the dual plane carby manifold traded a bit of torque for a bit of horsepower with the XE282HR compared to the RPM2 EFI, but needad a very high idle to create reasonable vacuum (Page 7, not exactly what I would call daily driver friendly). Also note the motor fell flat on it's face (torque & power lost all the way up to 6250rpm) with the short & very large runner Victor 5.0 & XE274HR compared to the RPM2. (Page 5, & this is the kind of performance loss Pete was referring to earlier ie. runners too big & short/ not enough cubes & rpm)

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techar ... index.html There are 7 pages & the links are sometimes hidden behind photo descriptions, as they are on page 1. Look for the green 'next'.

& as the first article I gave you summised, don't bother with the Trickflow's (any of them). They don't beat the torque manifolds for torque, nor do they beat the similarly priced midrange & HP manifolds for power.

Post subject: manifold
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh i currently have a trickflow manifold and the comp is just above 10 and not sure which AFR heads i have, ill have a read of all this and compare all this in relation to others ppl susgestions.

Thing is a dont want to loose the torque and response i have now in the bottem & mid range or the motor, so its gona be hard to find something that good all the way through.

Post subject: intake
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive been looking around and ppl have told me to go edelbrock RPM2 manifold and i just spoke to highperformance world and they recommmend me the new R box type from trickflow:

http://www.trickflow.com/product/manifo ... 00008.asp#

Apprently it will outflow the edelbrock RPM2 and does out flow the edelbrock RPM2 manifold.

Any thoughts ppl?

Post subject: Re: manifold
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Thing is a dont want to loose the torque and response i have now in the bottem & mid range or the motor...

For that you need runner length, more than ANY box style manifold will have. An RPM2 or Systemax2 will be the best off the shelf compromise you can get.

Buy a copy of Ford 5.0L Dyno Tests by Richard Holdener, it explains this really well & does a runner length experiment to demonstrate it.

Post subject: intake
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok cool, where can i purchase that from?

As well as i cannot get any spec's on the RPM11 manifold anywhere. Im comparing runner lengths and so on with other manifolds out there.

Post subject: Re: intake
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Ok cool, where can i purchase that from?

As well as i cannot get any spec's on the RPM11 manifold anywhere. Im comparing runner lengths and so on with other manifolds out there.

Any automotive bookstore, but I got a barely used copy off eBay for $10 (+$5 postage)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-0L-Ford-Dyno-T ... dZViewItem

Edelbrock themselves will have as much info as anyone on the RPM2 specs. Remember when deciding though, you want flow & velocity. Therefore the runner size & length both need to match your displacement & rpm range. Also remember that everything is a compromise when you want off the shelf torque & horsepower from a small block pushrod V8.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next