I lost my lumpy idle!!!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: I lost my lumpy idle!!!!
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

I had to take my car back to Mick Webb to sort out my gas tune which wasn't done when I had the new heads, manifold and cam fitted a month or so back...

When I dropped it off I told Mick that whilst I loved the lumpiness of the idle, it seemed to be hunting a bit too much at idle and that it was still pinging under full load. The ECU had "learned" enough to smooth out most of initial problems with pinging, but the high end pinging just didn't want to go away...

"No worries, we'll f**k around with it a bit." Was the reply. Turns out that the cause of that deliciously lumpy idle was a manifold leak from not one, but three (!) of the inlet ports. Got the car back tonight and now with the leak fixed, the bloody thing is a smooth as a billiard ball and not a grumble in sight (or earshot anyway) at idle. Shattered!

On the rather significant up side is the fact that all pinging seems to have vanished, and the LPG is now up and running, so fuel will be costing me <50c a litre over easter!! Looking forward to running down the quarter on both fuels come Heathcote. We'll see then what the difference in real world power really is.

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Are you going to get it dynoed? Mine aint that lumpy either. How does it run and how did u find mick?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahhha, wondered if you'd be around Gunit18 seeing as I saw your beast back in the shed with her guts out again!! Mick is/was the same as ever, he calls a spade a bloody spade and doesn't make any excuses.

I'll be getting it dynoed as soon as I can get a day off work on the same day as dyno places are at work!! Maybe tuesday? I had a run done before any of the latest mods were installed so it should give a reasonable comparison.

I haven't driven it much since I got it back (right in the middle of peak hour) but it seemed much smoother and there was no evidence of pinging when I gave it a bootful up the hill on Maroondah Hwy towards Mitcham...

As far as I know, the cam we both got isn't supposed to be all that lumpy.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeh, I know what u mean! I was pondering putting a bigger cam in, not sure which one yet. I suppose this one give reasonable torque. Mine is missing a bit when i take off, maybe too much/not enough timing?
Hows urs running and hows ur auto coping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Auto fine so far... I'll let you know how she's running after I've done a few km's...

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Interesting stuff, I've had a chat to mick and he is a bit of a character - at one point in time pretending to pull himself off over something i said, not cool!!!

I've had a look at the 2020 cam that you guys have got, looks like it makes a lot down low but not a lot up top, which is a bit of a desire around street driving.

Dyno runs when they are all sorted will be interesting....keep us posted guys

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What did u say? Have u already got ur MAF and 24's in? Be interesting to see what mine goes like after I do them. Are there any other cams out there with decent levels of power down low, other than the crane 2030/2031 and TFS?
Anyone tried crow cams?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

The 2020 has higher torque and more of it down low and in the mid range than the 2030 & 2031.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah I put on my explorer manifold, 65mm throttle body, 75mm Pro M maf and threw in my 24lb injectors. Idle was hunting because of an intake leak.

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Post subject: Re: I lost my lumpy idle!!!!
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

ef302 wrote:
"No worries, we'll f**k around with it a bit." Was the reply.

Awesome, sounds like my kind of mechanic.

That's a pretty serious vac leak you had going there. No wonder it was pinging like a s**t.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

hey gunit 18 if you want another cam like 2031 to look at try comp cams xe270hr sim lift and duration the rep reckons a really agressive cam giving more punch off the line if you compare adv duration to duration at 50 thou is about 8 deg less than crane which lifts valves quicker he reckons crane have started doin similar grinds :?: could be sales pitch :? but interesting :D

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
That's a pretty serious vac leak you had going there. No wonder it was pinging like a s**t.

Yeah, it was bad enough that the vacuum for the brake booster was being affected!! Generally only when it was cold, but more than enough to give a serious scare at the first corner when the brake pedal was as hard as a rock!!

No probs at all since I got it back though, tried it out today on the freeway, accelerating from 20km/h to 120km/h (not game to go faster in the police state!!) and not a ping in sight, on gas or petrol... looking forward to the FM drag day now!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

ef302 wrote:
I had to take my car back to Mick Webb to sort out my gas tune which wasn't done when I had the new heads, manifold and cam fitted a month or so back...

When I dropped it off I told Mick that whilst I loved the lumpiness of the idle, it seemed to be hunting a bit too much at idle and that it was still pinging under full load. The ECU had "learned" enough to smooth out most of initial problems with pinging, but the high end pinging just didn't want to go away...

"No worries, we'll f**k around with it a bit." Was the reply. Turns out that the cause of that deliciously lumpy idle was a manifold leak from not one, but three (!) of the inlet ports. Got the car back tonight and now with the leak fixed, the bloody thing is a smooth as a billiard ball and not a grumble in sight (or earshot anyway) at idle. Shattered!

On the rather significant up side is the fact that all pinging seems to have vanished, and the LPG is now up and running, so fuel will be costing me <50c a litre over easter!! Looking forward to running down the quarter on both fuels come Heathcote. We'll see then what the difference in real world power really is.

what heads manifold & cam did u go for ??

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just went the standard E series windsor upgrade route... GT40P heads and an Explorer manifold from an AU3 and then added a Crane 2020 roller cam. It's a beautiful thing down low now, makes bags of torque and sounds great when you're up it!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

cool...wats are your cam specs......ive gone for an Edelbrock performer manifold, Edelborck 70mm t/body, roller Comp Cam (.544 lift .224 duration), and 1.7 crane roller rockers....just svaing up some $$$ for a set of AFR 185 heads....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next