Fordmods Logo

improve performance 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: improve performance
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

what is the easiet and practical mod to ed fairmont 5 litre for a bit more grunt

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Welcome to the forums.

All the basics should really be done first. Would usually start with getting a decent set of extractors to get rid of those shocking std units. Then a nice free-er flowing exhaust, this really comes down to personal choice, but a single 2.5" will do the job on a fairly mild 5.0, remember these arent BIG V8's. Depending on cash flow you could also replace the cats for some higher flowing items, preferrably metalcore as they are abit more durable and generally have al onger life.
Then onto the other basics like a K&N filter and some sort of CAI.
A set of underdrive pullies make a noticeable difference on a stock 5.0, definately a worth while upgrade.
Then you can basically go through and check everything and make sure its up to scratch. Ditch the BBQ hotplate engine cover, check TPS voltage, check leads, dizzy cap, rotor button and spark plugs. Change fuel filter, check and clean MAF sensor, check timing etc.

How much have you got to spend?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8

NSW, Australia

hey buddy go with what old mate said i got heaps of improvement with just a exhaust and cold air intakein my xr8 but depends again on cash flow

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Get a POD filter too, for awesome induction roar. If you have enough cash a set of snappy diff gears would be a very good improvement, after you have done the bare basics as mentioned by the blokes above.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

A set of extractors, a two and half inch exhaust and some underdrive pullies will certainly wake your beast up. Also give another diff ratio a go too. That should keep you happy until you want more.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Post subject: Stock/Slight modded
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Well at the moement I have 2 V8's in my arsnal

1. EB 5.0L Fairmont Ghia Front end damage/mods wise Pacemaker extrators,worked auto box & shift kit.

2. NC 5.0L Fairlane Ghia Perfect besides a bit of rust under drivers door/mods wise only K & N panel filter so far.

Today I woke up the EB out of its slumber (jump Starting) and took it for a drive to blow the cob webs out & straight away I notice the Performance from
my NC, I took my NC for a drive the same loop I took the EB & god the EB is by far quicker then the NC.

I put it down to No mods & weight difference. My pipe dream is super charging the NC. One fast Pimp Car LOL :lol:

MEMBER 1390

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]