Fordmods Logo

increasing MAF diameter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: increasing MAF diameter
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

does anyone know if any good increasing MAF size on au v8 mine measures 72mm id but has big post housing the wires if u deduct surface area of post u would think air volume would be borderline for 65mm TB apparently u can get some that u can swap electronics over 2 new ones does anyone no if worth doing and wat sort cheers

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

72mm is quite a reasonable size MAF (compared to e series 55mm) and wouldnt be a restriction until you got a fair bit of power happening.

How much power are you making?

The post is actually beneficial... yes, it reduces airflow but it 'protects' the hotwire and the sensor wire from any turbulence coming back through the intake pipe (which can upset air flow readings).

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Good point i was just thinking of the physics of it if u deduct the surface area of post housing wires the volume of air would be very similar to 65mm TB plus there is alength of hose and a bend at the end u would think there might be an advantage supplying more air to TB than it needs so there is no restriction ? spose it depends on how much air the engine can pump through(how much power) in my situation i stil have stock heads and cam but better exhaust and intake approx 220 kw, so just curious if anyone has tried this as some MAF,s dont have the centre posts?

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

fairy v8 wrote:
Good point i was just thinking of the physics of it if u deduct the surface area of post housing wires the volume of air would be very similar to 65mm TB plus there is alength of hose and a bend at the end u would think there might be an advantage supplying more air to TB than it needs so there is no restriction ? spose it depends on how much air the engine can pump through(how much power) in my situation i stil have stock heads and cam but better exhaust and intake approx 220 kw, so just curious if anyone has tried this as some MAF,s dont have the centre posts?

Yes - ideally you want the TB to be the most restrictive part.

Plenty of people in the states have ground out the pole inside of the MAF to increase airflow, but for reasons stated above - i dont really like the idea.

I have a C&L 73mm MAF which has no centre post - it uses a sampling tube mounted in the top of the MAF. But i still use a standard 58mm throttle body from the EF V8, lol. At 7psi the engine makes roughly 250kw.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:38 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

To give you some idea lads;
When logging my mates 5.0 Capri we saw the MAF was only 0.03v off being maxed out. It makes 305rwhp. The MAF is a 70mm Cobra(the same as your AU has fairy) and the T-body is 65mm.
We are currently fitting a 90mm Lightning MAF and possibly a 70mm T-body because even though the MAF has not maxed we picked nearly 2" manifold vacuum at WOT/full power.

Pete.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

So that shows you can get to around 200-220rwkw before you really need to change them, so at 220kw at the engine you are no where near maxing out that MAF.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

ok interesting thoughts guys i dont think u can compare MAF and TB size between N/A and blown but here wat u say about the capri spose only way 2 know is do wat pete done and chek voltage at wot .O well the search goes on for cheap power increasers thanks guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]