info wanted on el xr8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: info wanted on el xr8
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

hi all u ford fans, go lowndes!! im looking to buy a el xr8 5spd and have heard that ones built before nov97 make only 165kw and ones built after make 185kw. if anyone could give me any info on this it would be great thanks

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure on the dates, someone else will know. But the Series 1 El XR8's got 170kw and the Series 2's got 185kw.
If you can find a series 2, get one of those preferably.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The later EL XR8's got different manifolds, the same that is on the EL GT and FBT, known as the explorer. I think it was from October 1997 that they got the upgrade, and the first series EL XR had the standard HO manifolds.
The exhaust on the XR's was the only difference from the rest of the V8's (falcons, fairmonts and fairmont ghia) which bumped the power figure from the standard 165kW to 170kW
Heads were the same on all XR's though, which is where the AU XR's got the GT40P heads which flow quite a lot more than the s**t E7's

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Well here is another different opinion and hopefully fact on the EL XR8s.
The first version was a HO motor with HO manifolds and E7 heads with better extractors than the stock V8s of the EL range which gave them 175kw.
The second version had the Explorer manifold the same E7 heads and the ELGT manifold which gave it 185kw.
I've got a the second version of the EL XR8 which has the above.
I've also got a EL Fairmont V8 which is like the original EL XR8, HO manifolds E7 heads but because it wasnt an XR8 it has some rather shocking extractors that are about the size of a straw.

Hope that helps you out.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The XR tuned length extractors were part of the exhaust upgrade that all XR's got.

I'm pretty sure series 1 XR's had 170KW rather than 175kW though.

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
TI'm pretty sure series 1 XR's had 170KW rather than 175kW though.

Correct, series 1 XR8's had 170kw. As mentioned, the significant difference between the 170 and 185kw engines was the switch from the HO to Explorer manifold (the EL GT got a different manifold again).

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Didnt they also get the EL GT extractors as well as the Explorer manifold? I dont think the Explorer manifold by itself would give 15kw. Maybe 10kw plus the EL GT extractors another 5kw making 15?

EL GT manifold was a GT 40 one hey?

Is the lower half of the manifold for the EL GT the same as the Explorer lower half? ie Direct swap.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes they got the EL GT/XR8 extractors too, but I am not sure if the seies 1's got them as well (I don't believe they did). And no the manifold isn't worth 15kw on its own, it is a combination of better exhaust, manifold, roller rockers and more aggressive EEC programing. Its just the manifold is the most obvious change.

Yes the Explorer, GT40 and Cobra manifolds all share the same lower design so the uppers can just be swapped for some decent improvement in flow.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Yes they got the EL GT/XR8 extractors too, but I am not sure if the seies 1's got them as well (I don't believe they did). And no the manifold isn't worth 15kw on its own, it is a combination of better exhaust, manifold, roller rockers and more aggressive EEC programing. Its just the manifold is the most obvious change.

Yes the Explorer, GT40 and Cobra manifolds all share the same lower design so the uppers can just be swapped for some decent improvement in flow.

f**k awesome. I'm gonna get the GT40 upper manifold now.
Thats a big help mate thanks.

Yeah the series one XR8s didnt get the EL GT extractors but the series 2 did.

So they also changed the roller rockers one the series 2? I havent heard that before. Good to know.

EL XR8

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah according to the spec sheet the 185's got roller rockers, and I had heard this before but never actually confirmed this with any owner who pulled the rocker covers off.

Changing the manifold from the explorer to GT40 or Cobra won't get you any extra power unless you change the heads too, but it won't hurt and at least you then have a dsuitable manifold for future mods.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
but it won't hurt and at least you then have a dsuitable manifold for future mods.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

:D

EL XR8

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

From http://www.trueblueford.com EL specifications page:

Quote:
Initially the XR6 was the pick of the breed with far better handling and accelaration than it's heavier and underpowered brother (170kW XR8) although the issue was eventually solved giving the XR8 a much needed boost half way through the EL product cycle with the AU 185kW engine upgrade brought forward - a decision made as Tickford desperately sought to more effectively combat the VT's 179kW 5.0 litre V8 and finally out muscle the XR6's handling and weight benefits.

Quote:
The EL Falcon V8:

The same old clunker was continued for EL featuring a measly 165kW (measly when you consider the Falcon six cylinder produced 157kW) although was increased a massive 0.5kW to 170kW in the XR8 courtesy of a freer flowing twin exhaust (Note: the increase in exhaust note was worth every penny!) Towards the end of the EL's life span, the AU's 185kW 5.0 litre V8 was introduced in XR8 as Tickford "desperately searched for more power" against the newer and more powerful 179kW VT SS which could also be had as an HSV optioned 195kW engine pack. Curiously, with the introduction of the 3.45:1 rear axil ratio a 185kW XR8 would be able to out accelerate both Holden offerings until the coming of age of the 220kW Gen III Chevrolet power plant - but by then you were well and truly into AU territory.

Early XR8 V8's can be identified by the inclusion of Ford's die-cast aluminium engine cover (cast in Geelong) over the dizzy / forward area of the motor while the later 185kw versions can be immediately identified by the lack of this item and the new "Explorer" intake manifold, which is distinguished by a larger plenum and slightly larger looking runners. Shipped straight from America, these engines featured much greater torque characteristics (sorely needed when you've got to lug around a heavy 4WD!) and would eventually lead to the Ford's dominance over the slightly more powerful (as far as the figures went anyway) VT SS. With this change also came a diff ratio decrease all the way to 3.45:1 making for much snappier acceleration figures

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
From http://www.trueblueford.com EL specifications page:

Quote:
The EL Falcon V8:
Early XR8 V8's can be identified by the inclusion of Ford's die-cast aluminium engine cover (cast in Geelong) over the dizzy / forward area of the motor while the later 185kw versions can be immediately identified by the lack of this item and the new "Explorer" intake manifold, which is distinguished by a larger plenum and slightly larger looking runners.

Well that bit about the lack of the engine cover is not correct. My Explorer manifold equipped 185kw windsor has the engine cover and the manifold has that part on top recessed for the cover.
The only factory equipped upper manifold that didnt have the standard engine cover was the EL GT that had the one with the vents in it.

EL XR8

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

thanks for the info everyone much appreciated definatley after a series 2 (if i ever find one with low enough kms)

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Post subject: El XR8 Series II
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next