injection to carby 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: injection to carby
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

has any gone from injection to carby?? my engine builder recons my 347 will be a killer with a huge 4 barrel is this feasible??

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

One of my mates put an EB 5.0 into an XF ute and carbed it, the thing broke traction in 3rd gear.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

I've been thinking about this, purely for ease of my shaker mod, but what would legalities be in regards to emissions and adr compliance.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:14 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

why go backward?

efi beats carby and dizzy anyday!

there are many options including 4bbl conversions and all of them give better fuel and ignition control = more power and economy but hey thats just my op./2c worth

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

dynowog wrote:
why go backward?

there are many options including 4bbl conversions and all of them give better fuel and ignition control = more power and economy but hey thats just my op./2c worth

the more I dumb down my car the more I can work on it, as it stands now if something buggers up on the electronic side I've got NFI how to fix it, hardware changes I can do, troubleshoot electronics i can't, and if I took it to a mechanic the first thing he would do is charge extra cos it's no longer stock, that's why reverting appeals to me, especially now my car is becoming more of a toy.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:02 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
dynowog wrote:
why go backward?

the more I dumb down my car the more I can work on it, as it stands now if something buggers up on the electronic side I've got NFI how to fix it, hardware changes I can do, troubleshoot electronics i can't, and if I took it to a mechanic the first thing he would do is charge extra cos it's no longer stock, that's why reverting appeals to me, especially now my car is becoming more of a toy.

all good things are kept simple and a good ecu is just that its easier to diagnose a well setup efi system than a carby system just as its easier to build most auto's than a manual but for the strangest of reasons most are scared of both!!!!

each to their own but efi is simple done right!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

dynowog wrote:
why go backward?

A carby has a higher rate of compensation. Say you drive an EFI car in a place like South Africa where there are massive elevation changes. If its tuned at sea level then it will run rich as a b**ch in the mountains. If its tuned at altitude then it will lean out big time when it gets to sea level.

With a carbi it relies on atmospheric pressure to force air into the engine. At altitude there is a lower pressure but it is also thinner. At sea level it is a higher pressure and the air is also more dense. And because the venturi principle relies on mass flow rate the carbi is self compensating.

With a non maf eqiped EFI car it is tuned purely off tps and map. If some parts of your fuel map are slightly out then your stuffed.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
dynowog wrote:
why go backward?

A carby has a higher rate of compensation. Say you drive an EFI car in a place like South Africa where there are massive elevation changes. If its tuned at sea level then it will run rich as a b**ch in the mountains. If its tuned at altitude then it will lean out big time when it gets to sea level.

With a carbi it relies on atmospheric pressure to force air into the engine. At altitude there is a lower pressure but it is also thinner. At sea level it is a higher pressure and the air is also more dense. And because the venturi principle relies on mass flow rate the carbi is self compensating.

With a non maf eqiped EFI car it is tuned purely off tps and map. If some parts of your fuel map are slightly out then your stuffed.

this of course is true on inadequate systems but decent systems:

a, compensate for barro
b, measure manifold preasure/temp acurately enough to detect high and low density air (high and low altitude)
and
c, where do we have mountains high enough here to have a problem?

mate not telling him he has go efi just trying to make him understand he has it why go backward?

the problem is people try and complicate things and it confuses them efi is really simple compared to correctly jetting a carby notice i say correctly and timing is easier with efi so imho its better thats all

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

True about that. My boss loves his carbies and magnetos for the simple fact that there are less things that can go wrong. I prefer the prescision of EFI and the fact that its hard to set up a carbi for lean cruise.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

If i was going for a drag or off road application then i'd go carby!

For street use i'd stick with EFI, for one if you get pulled up you're rooted, you have to go back to EFI or go straight LPG, otherwise the EPA will never allow the car back on the road.

I've seen plenty of carbed 302 W (STD stroke) running 12's or quicker in heavy Falcons, look how much you need to spend on an EFI Windsor to get it to go that good.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Good for toys BUT illegal for street aplications as Walker said a well st up efi system is hands down better AND still legal :D :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ok my question is HAs anyone on fordmods done this with there EB/EB/EL 5L's yet as im peicing up my parts and just waiting on info on the tps for the 4 spd auto ?

PS im not thread mining - gotta love using the SEARCH button :P )

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

cabry or efi the bottle neck with those motors is the intake and the heads.. sure the intake is specific to efi but the heads are heads regardless.. no matter what Fuel delivery system you have, you're still pushing it into the motor through tiny intake ports.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

dose anyone no what these heads flow standed on any of the eb/ed/ef ..?

Post subject: Re: injection to carby
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:46 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

ixlrate wrote:
has any gone from injection to carby?? my engine builder recons my 347 will be a killer with a huge 4 barrel is this feasible??

You might start by telling us what the specs of this killer 347 are?

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next