Fordmods Logo

is there an i8 engine? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
I cant see the str8 8 being anywhere near as efficient as the V8 set up, with twin carbs it might come close but with the added length of the cam and crank and keeping everything balanced, in time and in tune you would still be behind. There must be other reasons awell, otherwise you would still see them about today. As for the sound though, theres nothing like it, not anything like a lumpy V8 but just as cool in its own way.

That's like saying you can't see a I6 being as efficent as a V6!
Main reason for steering clear of the I8 is it's length, have to have a bonnet that is so long, which would increase length and cost of making the car. Also effects the handling of the car and a lot of wasted engine bay space on either side.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

twr7cx wrote:
a lot of wasted engine bay space on either side.

An excellent opportunity to attach a bunch of turbos - maybe one turbo per 2 cylinders!

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
I have seen an oldsmobile str8 8 in action. The thing had one carb and when u gave it a bit of poke, litterally a cupfull of fuel would spew out. The main prob I could see was the first few cyls got too much mixture the next few were nice and the last ran lean. But saying that, it was the smoothest sounding engine ive ever heard, very sweet indeed. The thing was huge, really long.

I cant see the str8 8 being anywhere near as efficient as the V8 set up, with twin carbs it might come close but with the added length of the cam and crank and keeping everything balanced, in time and in tune you would still be behind. There must be other reasons awell, otherwise you would still see them about today. As for the sound though, theres nothing like it, not anything like a lumpy V8 but just as cool in its own way.

I had plenty of buick and packard straight eights, The best one was one I made an inlet manifold for with 8 amal TT motorcycle carbies Man it flew and ther wasn't a flathead v8 could get anywhere close to it :roll: :P :P

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Sorry to be a bit off topic but speaking of weird engine combinations there was a lot of Big Block V8 front wheel drives in the US in the late 70's and early 80's.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Imagine the sound, cracking the throttle on an inline 8 with 4x DCOE webbers :shock:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
Imagine the sound, cracking the throttle on an inline 8 with 4x DCOE webbers :shock:

AWESOME, I know all about this as iv'e had plenty of straight 8s :P

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Sorry to be a bit off topic but speaking of weird engine combinations there was a lot of Big Block V8 front wheel drives in the US in the late 70's and early 80's.

yes and if im not mistaken the eldorado cadillac still has a front wheel drive v8.

I think it was kenworth that had a straight 8 in the really old trucks.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

There is theoretically no difference in performance between a V configuration and an inline configuration.

There are however optimal V layouts... 6 cyl = 60 dergees 8 cyl = 90 degrees

Inline is easy, V is compact... Don't see many V4's ;)

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xr8ute wrote:

be like the sound of 4 IDA webbers on a V8

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 87 Jaguar Sovereign

NSW, Australia

I believe a V8 would make more power than a straight 8 due to crankshaft and camshaft weight- double on the straight 8. While a flywheel could be lighter in the Straight 8, it will be nothing in comparison to doubling a crankshaft weight.
Inline and V6's are a different story. While the crank issue remains, the firing order is rather nasty on most V6's. Ever noticed a V6 commodore that you thought was a v8 (till it revved up)? I know I have more than once and I've been around enough of each to know the difference. Most V6's have an odd firing order, so that exhaust pulses in each bank are close together- and nought can be done to fix that. On the I6 however, the 1st three and last three cylinders can be grouped together without this problem (two manifolds, like Aston Martins and Jaguars of late, also how most extractors are designed.) Thus less pulse overlap and less exhaust pressure to contend with.
Due to the number of cylinders, this isn't an issue so much on the V8, but it does give rise to that v8 rumble.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

madmelon wrote:
I believe a V8 would make more power than a straight 8 due to crankshaft and camshaft weight- double on the straight 8. While a flywheel could be lighter in the Straight 8, it will be nothing in comparison to doubling a crankshaft weight.
Inline and V6's are a different story. While the crank issue remains, the firing order is rather nasty on most V6's. Ever noticed a V6 commodore that you thought was a v8 (till it revved up)? I know I have more than once and I've been around enough of each to know the difference. Most V6's have an odd firing order, so that exhaust pulses in each bank are close together- and nought can be done to fix that. On the I6 however, the 1st three and last three cylinders can be grouped together without this problem (two manifolds, like Aston Martins and Jaguars of late, also how most extractors are designed.) Thus less pulse overlap and less exhaust pressure to contend with.
Due to the number of cylinders, this isn't an issue so much on the V8, but it does give rise to that v8 rumble.

the buick V6 in the commo has an even firing order. want to see and odd fire, have a look at an old 4.3 chev V6 that is true od fire. i have semi odd fire 3.3 chev V6 in my hilux. the rod journals only have 18 degrees of offset. An even fire V6 has an offset of 30 degrees on the rod journals.

commodore V6 engines fire never fire 2 cyls on the same side of the block one after the other.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

VIC, Australia

my mate has a 1930 dodge de soto with a 3.6L straight 8 and f**k yea they are huge! it doesnt have the same kinda sound as a v8 tho.. maybe it was just his zorst??

Past: 150rwkw 5spd EF Futura - 4499's, 2.5" exh, Intake, Filter, Wade 1636, Head and Valve Work, Raised Comp.

Present: 5spd AUIII XR6 VCT Ute - 4480's, 2.5" exh, Tickford Intake, Pod in Box.
coming soon: 3.9:1 diff, Flashtune.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2