It should be performing better??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
heres a pic thanks to EBXR8380

the smaller ports one is the one you're using.. the other one is the AU intake.. you can see that even if the standard manifold is ported to buggery, it still wont match the au intake. esp coz theres no room at the bottom of the lower intake for much work..

Thats a really great example, I see what you mean.

So its really the diff gears which are bringing my car to the party. Ive driven it back to back with a standard car and it really does feel much faster.

What would the best set of diff gears be? It came standard with 3.27s, changed it to 3.70 and changed it again to 3.91. There was no real difference between the 3.7 and the 3.91. I have also 17 inch wheels with 235/45 series rubber. Would that knock back the gear ratio? The car came standard with 14 inch wheels.

Looking forward to some insight from you guys......

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
-clampy- wrote:
heres a pic thanks to EBXR8380

the smaller ports one is the one you're using.. the other one is the AU intake.. you can see that even if the standard manifold is ported to buggery, it still wont match the au intake. esp coz theres no room at the bottom of the lower intake for much work..

Thats a really great example, I see what you mean.

So its really the diff gears which are bringing my car to the party. Ive driven it back to back with a standard car and it really does feel much faster.

What would the best set of diff gears be? It came standard with 3.27s, changed it to 3.70 and changed it again to 3.91. There was no real difference between the 3.7 and the 3.91. I have also 17 inch wheels with 235/45 series rubber. Would that knock back the gear ratio? The car came standard with 14 inch wheels.

Looking forward to some insight from you guys......

If the AU heads are so much better, why doesnt the AU V8 make more power. It only does 175kw which isnt too much more than a 165kw motor???

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

au doesnt make more power purely coz of the cam.. upgrade cam and you're seeing 240rwhp+(apparently)

id proably stick around the 3.7 or 3.9 area.. hell ive got 4.11s in my car and it launches very nicely.. but changin wot u got probably pointless- mayaswell spend that money elsewhere..

and yeh that rubber is about what everyone else runs, so id keep that too..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FYI my car pulled 200rwhp.. using stock heads, but something very much like the AU manifold ^ there.. otherwise its got extractors, ELGT ECU and MAF, and a unichip(coz its still got 19lb injectors).

im going to be upgrading my heads to edelbrocks, but at the same time doing stroker/cam etc aswell(need to get notched pistons anyway coz of bigger valves).. so ill be jumping to around 280rwhp all goin well.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
FYI my car pulled 200rwhp.. using stock heads, but something very much like the AU manifold ^ there.. otherwise its got extractors, ELGT ECU and MAF, and a unichip(coz its still got 19lb injectors).

im going to be upgrading my heads to edelbrocks, but at the same time doing stroker/cam etc aswell(need to get notched pistons anyway coz of bigger valves).. so ill be jumping to around 280rwhp all goin well.

Which is the better motor to start off with, the Ford injected windsor (pre AU) or the Holden 304 injected 5.0 VN-VR?

Which one moves better in standard for and also which would be cheaper to get some decent power out of it. Which motor responds better to mods??

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

purely because of the heads/intake id have to say the holden.. but then again i dont know what the first thing to change on the holden would be.. cam maybe?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
-clampy- wrote:
yeh pretty much^.. so you must have had it dyno tuned yeh? how much did it pull?

IMO the heads and intake are still the bottle neck.. you can port em all you like n they wont be as good as an out of the box alloy set of heads.. and the intake? well same deal.. even AU manifolds are staggered to fit more cross sectional area in there. so you can do anything to the standard intake and it wont be worth the scrap its made of.

It pulled only 195hp rw on the dyno last time it was tuned. This was prior to fitting the mini spool (it wouldnt make any difference) and it was a stinkin hot day as well (high 30's). The standard MAF sensor has been completely removed, I would imagine the microtech is taking care of the intake flo.

The car drives smoothly and is probably just a more muscular version of a standard car. The mods took about a second off the o-100 time of the stock car and the diff gears did the rest of the trick. It really does get to 100km/h in about 5.7 secs which is pretty decent. Probably a quarter mile of low 14s.

The car has a 65mm throttle body on it and the intake manifold ported and there is no MacDonalds Straw size MAF sensor anymore, wouldnt that have helped a little?

When I did the mods i idnt know too much about the motor, wasted too much money already. :(

whats the flow figures on the heads/manifold?
I run extremely ported,E7's & HO intake 65mm TB,30LB motorsport inj's, 75mm proM modified Difilipo 4-1 headers into a pair of 3'' in 2 1/2 out cats then into a single 3 1/8'' tuned system, and the biggest factor I found was the cam grind ;the E7's can flow quite a lot providing you dont open up the size of the ports too much'' so I used a cam with only .540'' lift but longer durations and timing set a lot closer to TDC for low to mid range power.
the results speak for themselves , 276hp at the wheels according to my Gtech, a wheel spinning 5.7sec to 100 and 14.3 1/4 mile, (I have s**t ratios!)
maybe the heads/manifold are not a good match with the cam?

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
Which is the better motor to start off with, the Ford injected windsor (pre AU) or the Holden 304 injected 5.0 VN-VR?

Which one moves better in standard for and also which would be cheaper to get some decent power out of it. Which motor responds better to mods??

the vn is a much lighter car than the eb, by around 110kg, and they come with the same claimed power from factory.
i'd still go the eb, the vn is an ugly car.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

yeah, the Holden motor is probly cheaper to work on and the parts are more readily available in Aus...but if your willing to order gear from the US, then you can get some cheap parts from there for the 5L Windsor...

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

stock vs stock, holden 5.0 litre but when you change your heads and intake manifold the ford one is a heap better IMO, and if even more stroke it out then work some GT40's and get a edelbrock performer and also do some work inside one of those's, get a nice big cam, roller rockers, etc etc, you'll have a beasty engine.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:31 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="kenny"][quote="EB V8"][quote="-clampy-"]yeh pretty much^.. so you must have had it dyno tuned yeh? how much did it pull?

IMO the heads and intake are still the bottle neck.. you can port em all you like n they wont be as good as an out of the box alloy set of heads.. and the intake? well same deal.. even AU manifolds are staggered to fit more cross sectional area in there. so you can do anything to the standard intake and it wont be worth the scrap its made of.[/quote]

It pulled only 195hp rw on the dyno last time it was tuned. This was prior to fitting the mini spool (it wouldnt make any difference) and it was a stinkin hot day as well (high 30's). The standard MAF sensor has been completely removed, I would imagine the microtech is taking care of the intake flo.

The car drives smoothly and is probably just a more muscular version of a standard car. The mods took about a second off the o-100 time of the stock car and the diff gears did the rest of the trick. It really does get to 100km/h in about 5.7 secs which is pretty decent. Probably a quarter mile of low 14s.

The car has a 65mm throttle body on it and the intake manifold ported and there is no MacDonalds Straw size MAF sensor anymore, wouldnt that have helped a little?

When I did the mods i idnt know too much about the motor, wasted too much money already. :([/quote]
whats the flow figures on the heads/manifold?
I run extremely ported,E7's & HO intake 65mm TB,30LB motorsport inj's, 75mm proM modified Difilipo 4-1 headers into a pair of 3'' in 2 1/2 out cats then into a single 3 1/8'' tuned system, and the biggest factor I found was the cam grind ;the E7's can flow quite a lot providing you dont open up the size of the ports too much'' so I used a cam with only .540'' lift but longer durations and timing set a lot closer to TDC for low to mid range power.
the results speak for themselves , 276hp at the wheels according to my Gtech, a wheel spinning 5.7sec to 100 and 14.3 1/4 mile, (I have s**t ratios!)
maybe the heads/manifold are not a good match with the cam?[/quote]

Impressive! curious what/whos grind is it?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

kenny - have you put your car on a dyno, or only done it via a Gtech??

I never cracked the 200rwkw mark without pissing off the E7 heads (which I had ported)

But then again - according to my Gtech I run flat 15's @102 MPH

(last time at eastern creek I was running high 13's)

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

a custom crow is the grind of the cam, still haven't had it on the dyno yet, but I don't plan on keeping it in its current way for much longer, hiport alloys, maybe more cubes(lots) and possibly forced induction. It did take a lot of work with the Gtech to get this state of tune though

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

My father has an AU Fairmont GHIA V8 which apparently has 175 kw, my ef is supposed to have 165 but the AU would absolutely eat my EF. The AUv8 is one of the few cars I have driven that would come close to beating my old XW351c (which even a Limited edition WRX had trouble gaining any space up to about 100kph. THE AU WAS A GOOD PACKAGE, with slightly lower diff and even gets better fuel economy than the EFv8.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2