Fordmods Logo

It should be performing better??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: It should be performing better???
Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I have an EB GL 5.0 Auto, 62,000km. Immaculate car. I have had it since new so its the real deal.

Performance mods include, extractors, twin cats, 3 inch exhaust.

I have had a stage 3 Crow cam put in (apparently its about 2 grinds up from the AU 220 cam), Bigger valves, heads and intake manifold are standard but have been ported, throttle body ported, Microtech injection, 3.91 diff gears and mini spool, does not have a MAF sensor, has a 3inch pipe leading out of the engine bay with a pod filter.

Auto gearbox has AU valvegear, changes up pretty hard.

All in all not really happy with the performance. It drinks a tonn of fuel as well. I reckon if I ran the car it would probably run a flat 14. It runs 0-100 in about 5.7secs

For those sort of mods shouldnt it run a little better than that?? I could grab a GEN3 and it would be doing those numbers with no noise??

Anyone got any suggestions to make it move a little better? What sort of power would it be making with my mods??? If anyone wants to buy it and finish the job be my guest. Its immaculate, probably best condition around.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

flat 14s nothin to be ashamed of... the early 5.0s wearnt rocket ships... but can be quite powerful when modded... high 13/flat low 14s are a good time...

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Flat 14 sounds reasonable if not over optimisitc. About what my car runs.

Get it on a dyno and see what kind of power it makes.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The E7's and HO manifold is your biggest downfall in your setup, and i have heard it many times, "they are not worth the metal they are made from" (even when ported).
I think its a good time on the 1/4 for what has been done, but i'd be tossing heads, manifold and cam straight away if you want some performance gains cause these are your biggest restriction in making power.

Look at some GT40P heads from the AU XR's or if you got the cash go some alloy heads. The explorer or edelbrock manifolds seem to be the choice, followed with roller rockers, and choice of cam usually being the crane 2030, 2031 or TFS1.....all depends on how much money you got to spend

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:

I used to have a commodore VS V8 with similar type of modifications done, it was a real ball tearer, used to spin away from the lights still ahead of the WRX.

Im not so sure about the ford that I have. I have run a malloo ute
GEN3. The ford was ahead until about 130km/h and then the malloo crept ahead and away.

But from a rolling start from about 120km/h to (lets not say the upper limit) the Ford V8 was at least matching the GEN3 if not edging ahead.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:

I used to have a commodore VS V8 with similar type of modifications done, it was a real ball tearer, used to spin away from the lights still ahead of the WRX.

Im not so sure about the ford that I have. I have run a malloo ute
GEN3. The ford was ahead until about 130km/h and then the malloo crept ahead and away.

But from a rolling start from about 120km/h to (lets not say the upper limit) the Ford V8 was at least matching the GEN3 if not edging ahead.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

EB V8 wrote:

Not too bad when you consider that the GenIII has an extra 700cc displacement over you... and altho slightly worked, you're running very restrictive heads and a very very restrictive intake manifold...

Get some GT40 heads or aftermarket... same with intake manifold... you'll be blowing the doors of most GMHs I reckon...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

From what you say you've done (heads & that), sounds like the standard manifold & MAF are your limiting factor. Get a decent manifold and atleast a 65mm TB & 70mm MAF.

Have a look at the size of the manifold runners where the two halve bolt together and the hole through the MAF and you'll see what I mean. They more suite a 1.5 not a 5.0litre.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

why do you have no MAF....the ECU needs the maf to tell it how much air is going into the intake......although a 14 is good for stock heads & intake....piss them off and she'll be sweet...

Last edited by veeate on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

As pointed out by a friend check that the gasket on the throttle body is not restricting air flow as this can make a huge difference to performance. It may be simple but worth a check.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:04 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

veeate wrote:
why do you have no MAF....

Assuming he's gone to MAP sensing, the Microtech might have an inbuilt MAP sensor like other AM ECU's.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeh pretty much^.. so you must have had it dyno tuned yeh? how much did it pull?

IMO the heads and intake are still the bottle neck.. you can port em all you like n they wont be as good as an out of the box alloy set of heads.. and the intake? well same deal.. even AU manifolds are staggered to fit more cross sectional area in there. so you can do anything to the standard intake and it wont be worth the scrap its made of.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:12 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
yeh pretty much^.. so you must have had it dyno tuned yeh? how much did it pull?

IMO the heads and intake are still the bottle neck.. you can port em all you like n they wont be as good as an out of the box alloy set of heads.. and the intake? well same deal.. even AU manifolds are staggered to fit more cross sectional area in there. so you can do anything to the standard intake and it wont be worth the scrap its made of.

It pulled only 195hp rw on the dyno last time it was tuned. This was prior to fitting the mini spool (it wouldnt make any difference) and it was a stinkin hot day as well (high 30's). The standard MAF sensor has been completely removed, I would imagine the microtech is taking care of the intake flo.

The car drives smoothly and is probably just a more muscular version of a standard car. The mods took about a second off the o-100 time of the stock car and the diff gears did the rest of the trick. It really does get to 100km/h in about 5.7 secs which is pretty decent. Probably a quarter mile of low 14s.

The car has a 65mm throttle body on it and the intake manifold ported and there is no MacDonalds Straw size MAF sensor anymore, wouldnt that have helped a little?

When I did the mods i idnt know too much about the motor, wasted too much money already. :(

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sounds about right for the mods then...

but yeh the bottle neck really is the heads/intake... even an intake manifold upgrade is worth a few neddies..

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

heres a pic thanks to EBXR8380

the smaller ports one is the one you're using.. the other one is the AU intake.. you can see that even if the standard manifold is ported to buggery, it still wont match the au intake. esp coz theres no room at the bottom of the lower intake for much work..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next