J3 chip for NF 5ltr? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: J3 chip for NF 5ltr?
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Tuning is pretty easy.

Just read through the docs and have a look through the software.

Im running a J3 tuning package from Jason with my turbo setup and its nearly perfect now.

DIYing and spending time fine tuning while you drive the car around as you would usually is way better than paying some "expert" $500 to tune it on a dyno for a couple of hours only to find out it pings on the way home at half throttle. :/

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 5.0L NF Fairlane Ghia

VIC, Australia

yea sounds the goods. i reckon ill get a kit in a few weeks and start tweakin

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
If you're after a locally made option, check out my site at http://www.tiperformance.com.au . Drop me a PM if you have any questions!

Surprised noone mentioned us as the moates gear would be useless for a Falcon without Jaysen and my definitions!

Cheers,
Jason

Actually, the Moates gear is quite useful with Binary Editor on our V8s using the strategies I have for the 88k tunes :)

Once my car is running again, we hope to get datalogging working on our EEC-Vs, too.

Definitely read through the docs on the TI site and even have a look in the ECU forum, on this site, at the stickies. There are a couple of links in the one I posted with heaps of useful info. Once you get into it, it's pretty easy and everything starts making sense when it's all in front of you.

There's also lots of great info on the eec tuning forum - www.eectuning.org

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
Actually, the Moates gear is quite useful with Binary Editor on our V8s using the strategies I have for the 88k tunes :)

Not wanting to start a war (or take this too far OT), but i'm pretty sure the Clint and the BE guys used our open definitions as a base. Ours have been shared online for years now before they started popping up in other formats. Our defs were based on GUFB and similar defs in the first place anyway so there's no issue, but just thought i'd point this out!

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Nah mate, I have no intention of creating any dramas. The work you are doing and the support you provide to your customers is great, from what I've heard. I did originally use a strategy based on Jaysen's work, but I've since had a few strategies created from scratch with all the hacks that can be found in the Mustang-based strategies (force open loop, use of only base timing table, etc) and they use the 88k tunes in our eec-v stuff as Ford intended. Datalogging is proving to be a bit of a turd (in eec-v, but eec-iv seems to be sweet) and with my car off the road, testing has come to a halt.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I've been on off trying to have the patch code sorted and a payload created for the Quarterhorse. It's a fair bit of work, which is why it's on and off lol. If you're willing to learn, I'd suggest getting a J3, a datalogger and a few books on how to tune and start slow.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

galapogos01 whats the difference between a moats j3 and a ti j3??
form what ive seen they are the newer models are the same..
is the program or programming the same also??

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The T.I. Performance J3s are designed and assembled right here in Australia. I generally ship same day and use express so you can get your order as soon as next day time and permitting.

Our units can support storing and switching of up to 4 tunes via the switch we sell. The programmers are not compatible electrically - you need the corresponding programmer for the chip. Otherwise, they are functionally similar.

None of our models are or have been the same as moates units.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

What sort of kw gains can be made on a stock EF 5.0L motor using a J3 chip? Just a rough guess will do.

I'm curious as my motor is currently totally stock. I do have a few bolt on bits already to go but nothing that will exceed the self learn capabilities of a stock ECU.

I wouldn't mind having a play around with it now to get an understanding of how it all works before committing to further upgrades.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It's pretty difficult to guess how much power you could make. I would only look into tuning once you have fitted your bolt-ons and done a dyno run or AFR check to see whether the tune needs work, or if you run a different fuel to what the tune in the ECU suits as there could be gains to had in these cases.

Jason

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

streetfords tow car (ebv8 auto stock) with just added timing made 9rwkw through out the power band, apparently afr was very rich i think 12:1.

I can tell you just adding timing at part throttle and down low makes feel 100% better over stock.

I agree with adding some bolt on's ie explorer manifold, 1.7rr, underdrives etc then a tune to top it off.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2