just wondering if anyone has turboed a v8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: just wondering if anyone has turboed a v8
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: falocn

VIC, Australia

im just wondering if anyone has turboed a 5ltr. mines in an ef. its had a bit of work already done to it and i just want to run a turbo with low boost (around 6 to 7 psi) so i dont have to decompress the engine. and i want to know if its worth doing? or is supercharging an eaiser option. ive talked to my engine tuner, and he said with my computer turboing is alot better as it takes out the lagand you have instant boost.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

interesting, wouldnt mind knowing either, not that i would do it but for general knowledge.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

EBXR8380

Seek and you shall find...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

question, wouldn't you make the engine run like s**t if you turbo a V engine? as half the engine will have free flowing exhaust and the other half will have to work hard to turn the turbos turbine/exhaust wheel thingo. unless you run all the exhaust into each other and then put the turbo - but that'd be a lot of piping and I don't see how you'd find room with a V8 already squished in there. so wouldn't you have to twin turbo to balance things out?

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats what i thought to, but my engine tuner told me just to put 1 behind the extractor on the passanger side, and it'll make alot more power then a supercharger running the equivalent boost.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

No you can't use a single turbo only running off one bank, the single turbo V8's run a crossover exhaust pipe so that all cylinders feed the turbo. IMO, The easiest place to fit on in a Falcon is where the battery is.

IMO Blowers are eaiser to fit and will make comparable fower for the same boost. Cent. blowers like the Vortech will make boost up high in the rev range while turbos and PD blowers will make lots of power down low.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Run twin turbos on V8's if you are game MASSIVE HORSEPOWER :shock: :shock:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

so 3K on twin turbo would give u massive horsepower hey....
what mods should be done first before torbo goes on?

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

castlegreyskull wrote:
so 3K on twin turbo would give u massive horsepower hey....
what mods should be done first before torbo goes on?

lol id like to see a twin setup for 3K that would cover bit over one turbo.

but yeah twin turbos on the V8s can provide massive amounts of power on tap.....talk to graeme EBXR8380 hes now pulling 400rwkw.

and castle for any big power setup youre gonna be looking at loads of mods prior like bottom end strength...loads of headwork...then theres the manifolds..custom exhaust...new ECU and dyno/tuning time.....good twin setup id be looking at beginning round the 14K mark

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sheesh....Read through these forums..
So much info and check links on top of home page also..
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php
Buy this DVD..My car is featured on there..
All the smoke was from blistered Dunlops on left back wheel...Sure put up smoke screen though...
http://www.pitstop.net.au/pitstop/page/ ... 17298.html
Heres my car here...
Just doing exhaust at present and better clutch geometry so gear changes are faster...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=15030
BTW a single turbo WORKS very well on V8's but they drive from BOTH banks..That Commodore ute thats breaking all records is SINGLE turbo..Albeit a bloody big one!! The WRX has crossover pipe from other side with NO issues..On big engines long or in theory long manifold to turbo is no issue with capacity the exhaust flow is tremendous...
Which is exactly whats holding me back.. 2 1/2 twins up front to single 3"exhaust is restricting my power level and turbo spool, see dyno graph's in link.. The big issue with forced induction is SAFE tune..Whats required is low compression [under 8.8] and plenty of fuel and some spark control...Which means atleast 36Lb injectors and MAF to suite, they can be bough from
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=323
Hope you find this informative...
Graeme...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for the advice, ive got a msd pack for the spark already and a autronic compuetr (the best you can buy) the bottom end has been strenthened and huge racing sump with custom oil pick up, trickflow stage 2 heads with chevy stainless steel valves. stage 3 cam, just for the run in. aftermarket fuel rails, maelpassi fuel regulator, trickflow air intake, so all i need now is something to pump in the air a bit harder to get me some more power

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Find out what your comp ratio is and work out how much power you are after and go from there, the cheapest option around is two small turbo's off the single turbo 300zx's, they work well as twins on a v8 but may be slighty on the small side, which would be perfect for a street car. Fitting a larger single would be easier but you have to find a suitable one first, many large turbo's are off diesel trucks and tend to be designed to work at higher pressure ratios than what a v8 would run at.

http://www.TURBO351.com

2V 351T, 732rwhp@15psi on LPG.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

a mate of mine bolted a turbo onto his efxr8. its not bad at all. pushing 207kw at the wheels. hes running a single xr6 turbo. no other uprgrades just the turbo.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi nannas ed, just wondering i fyou have an idea how your mate did it? wheer was the turbo mouneted? did it just run off a single exhaust manifold?

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

ltd351T wrote:
Find out what your comp ratio is and work out how much power you are after and go from there, the cheapest option around is two small turbo's off the single turbo 300zx's, they work well as twins on a v8 but may be slighty on the small side, which would be perfect for a street car. Fitting a larger single would be easier but you have to find a suitable one first, many large turbo's are off diesel trucks and tend to be designed to work at higher pressure ratios than what a v8 would run at.

diesel turbos work at lower rpm with more boost, thats what you would want with a 5 litre, ive never met a diesel that likes to rev above 4

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next