K-Frames 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: K-Frames
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Was at a mates place last night and he was telling me how he wants to put a carby clevo motor into an ed. thats all well and good, but i told him that he will need to change the k-frame to that of a V8. Anyway he calls s**t and says that there both the same.

i want to know is it physically possible to bolt up a clevo V8 to a 6 cyl k-frame. if not, why? and what ramifications is he looking at by hacking the s**t out of a 6cyl k-frame

cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hack the sump - not the k frame .
k frame in a is different as they have different racks in them and the engine mount posi is also diff .

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

There was a thread here a cpl of months back with an EA that had a Clevo in it.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
There was a thread here a cpl of months back with an EA that had a Clevo in it.

cool ill have a search for it. i just think that he is dellusional for trying to make it work with a 6cyl k frame. but then again it mayh not be that hard to do.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:25 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

It's not s**t. The K-frame is different but you can modify the six cyl one to take the V8 mounts. If you can find a V8 K-frame it's just less work plus you get to use the 5.0 engine mounts which are better than the old X-series type.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
If you can find a V8 K-frame it's just less work plus you get to use the 5.0 engine mounts which are better than the old X-series type.

Hmm to have $10 dollars for every X series V8 mount I have seen, replaced or broken, I wouldn't be driving around an old EL that is for sure.

Pete you would be richer than me, how many Falcons have you opened the bonnet looked up and spotted the air cleaner rub mark (worse when the gearbox mount is broken or jelly from tranny oil leaks) and then chuckled as you check the engine mounts, then cursed at the headers someone has fitted which does not give you any room to do the job.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Well I don't know...how rich are you? I'm in a s**t load of debt which makes me rather poor in reality. I have an expensive wife too.
I used to put a bolt through those old mounts until they pulled the head of the bolt off! You know there are some really good modern versions of those that are captive. They have a tube with a urethane around them hence, they can't come apart although they tend to be a bit harsh, sending some more vibration through. Ron Morris Performance in the U.S. makes a nice adjustable set too. Allows engine height and set back adjustments.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
It's not s**t. The K-frame is different but you can modify the six cyl one to take the V8 mounts. If you can find a V8 K-frame it's just less work plus you get to use the 5.0 engine mounts which are better than the old X-series type.

Pete.

but can it be done safley. keeping in mind he is simply putting this together to thrash the s**t out off. in heind sight it will be a poorly built burnout machine. id like to say it will never see the street but knowing him it will :?

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:29 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Pete.

but can it be done safley. keeping in mind he is simply putting this together to thrash the s**t out off. in heind sight it will be a poorly built burnout machine. id like to say it will never see the street but knowing him it will :?

Well....either option can be done safely. I don't understand the question?

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: capri mk1

QLD, Australia

i think ur mate means the 4.0l falcon k frames are the same as the 5.0l falcon v8 k frames. theres no difference in k frames from EB-EL

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

southportautorecyclers wrote:
i think ur mate means the 4.0l falcon k frames are the same as the 5.0l falcon v8 k frames. theres no difference in k frames from EB-EL

yeh thats what i mean. i was under the impression that a falcon 6cyl k-frame is different to that of a falcon v8 k-frame and if they are is it possible/safe to modify a 6cyl k-frame to suit a 351 clevo block.

although theres not much that i can do about it but if there were major operations that needed to be done to make it fit into a 6cyl k-frame id like to aleast warn him off possible dangers in do so.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:50 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

southportautorecyclers wrote:

EA-ED K-frames are different from 6cyl to V8. EF-up are not.
The difference is in the mount area. Check out '66coupes' burnout wagon. He has modified the 6cyl K-member to take the old X-series type engine mounts.

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]