Fordmods Logo

Knocking sound on start up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Knocking sound on start up
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi folks, I have an AU series 11 V8 Sportsman Fairlane stock. After the recent 120k service there is sometimes a knock similar to big end noise when I start it after sitting for several hours. I changed the oil filter thinking that the return valve may have been stuck. It seemed to be the remedy but yesterday the noise came back. I am now thinking that the Ford dealer is using crap oil. Can someone tell me what is the best oil to use as in the Ford owners book there are two different grades, one for V8's and one for Tickford motors. The service manager said that they only use one grade namely 10W30. The knocking noise only goes for about 2 to 3 seconds and I am assuming that it is because the oil is being pumped up and starting to circulate through the bottom end. I have chaecked the dip stick, it is spot on and clean. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Cheers AU055

Post subject: Re: Knocking sound on start up
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Its possible the oil before the service may have been thicker and hidden the problem.
How long have you owned the car and what oil normally goes in it?

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

10W30 oil is too thin for a Windsor with a few kays up on it. Mine has 200,000km and I use Penrite HPR 20W60 semi-synthetic with no knocking at all.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

I've had the car since August 2008 and the k's were 115,600 when I bought her. It has had a previous service under the dealers warranty contract that I have, namely every 6 months or 7,500k's. Because this has got so much electronic gear on it I got the dealer to do the service otherwise I would have been doing it myself as I have been for the last 40 years with the Fords that I have owned. The service manager is not in my ipinion a "Mechanic" so I think I will definitely go with the flow and put the thicker oil in and see what happens. I really appreciate your help and many thanks.Steve

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

10/30 is way too thin. You want /50 weight.

Not sure what the 'electronic gear' has got to do with the servicing. All they do is drop the oil and maybe if you are lucky will shine the light around the steering/braking/suspension parts.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Try a nulon worn engine treatment before you change oils, worked wonders for me.Cost about 10-15 dollars

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Had a similar issue in a Cleveland, took a few seconds for oil pressure to come up... ended up draining and replacing with Shell Helix ( not cos of the oil pressure which I thought was normal) but was pleasantly surprised when oil pressure came up straight away after, no noises either...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]