Fordmods Logo

legal or not lpg 351 into EFxr6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: legal or not lpg 351 into EFxr6
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok well here is the story. my ef xr6 motor is getting old and won't last much longer. me FD ltd has mild 351 on stright gas but the ltd is getting a bigger motor.

so i have ab xr6 that needs a motor and a gas 351 needing a home.

i presume being gas envio crud would not be a drama. well and hey the govt would give me $1000 for putting gas on to the car.

and wholely awsomeness a 351 efxr6

ive seen a el 351 drag car someware im sure

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

well it depends

i think cause your increasing the capacity, you'll still need to go thorugh some s**t to get it lic

But LPG is the way to go, for emisons, other wise a EFI set up would be needed to comply

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Needs to get EPA tested to be legal

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Best to speak to a workshop/engineer that can do mod plates, they will be able to tell you the legalities to doing it.

Here is a link to more links regarding this.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/approved ... 43816.html

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

There is a fella on FFAU who lives up Cairns/Innisvale?? way who legally converted his EA to run a clevo on straight LPG. Backed up with a T5 as well.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

i think from memory you have to remove all remnants of the original fuel system (tank, lines etc etc)

i think it is doable though

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Im pretty sure that you can fit an older engine into a newer car but the engine has to comply to the emission standards of the date of manufacture of the car.

The other worry would be the capacity increase is quite large. In nsw i think only 10% is aloud, so based on the largest engine available for the ef, you fall short. the maximum would be 5.5L (but hay your in qld so it may be dif) + there is a bit more weight to support even compared to the Windsor (afaik) so it may need a bit of chassis work.

Definitely speak to an engineer before going any further than just thinking about it.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh and ford made a EA 351-GT (clevo powered). But it never made it into production.

Attachments:
File comment: EA 351-GT
f100_12.jpg
f100_12.jpg [ 52.35 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I believe that the 351 GT EA prototype was in actual fact Windsor powered with a motor from a F150. From memory the clevo was too wide for the bay for it to be a production possibility.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
I believe that the 351 GT EA prototype was in actual fact Windsor powered with a motor from a F150. From memory the clevo was too wide for the bay for it to be a production possibility.

It was windsor powered, the 351 W having a higher deck height made it a very very very tight fit in the engine bay, and probably not legal at the end of the day.....

Easier to just rebuild & turbocharge your XR6 engine, even with the turbo gear it shouldn't weigh as much or more than the 351 clevo, and should go harder to boot!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

It was windsor powered, the 351 W having a higher deck height made it a very very very tight fit in the engine bay, and probably not legal at the end of the day.....

Easier to just rebuild & turbocharge your XR6 engine, even with the turbo gear it shouldn't weigh as much or more than the 351 clevo, and should go harder to boot!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Oh, i thought it was a clevo and thats why the deck height was too big for production.

My bad i stand corrected.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
EVL098 wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Yeah but the biggest problem you can not fix is it will still sound s**t, like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

FLASH wrote:
Oh, i thought it was a clevo and thats why the deck height was too big for production.

The 351W has a different block to the 302W, deck height stands taller, heads are further apart & manifold from 302W won't fit.

The clevo block on the other hand, the bottom end can be changed from 302 to 351, and even stroked to 383.

Macca wrote:
Yeah but the biggest problem you can not fix is it will still sound s**t, like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I dunno about that, i've heard a couple of mild turbo 4l's and they didn't sound too horrible, but i've also heard some really hot turbo 4l's & they did sound good, but i don't think it was better than the sound of a thumping 8! I grew up around hot 302 & 351 clevo powered falcon's my parents owned, and hot v8 holdens my older brothers owned, a HG 308 prem & a genuine HQ SS 253 4spd. I've got a 253, stock internal in my HZ pano, with stock manifolds, just a nice 2.5" system with a hot dog & 1 sports muffler, and for a stocker man it sounds great. I can't wait to get extractors on it!

My EB is just a 4lt 6, but i've got extractors, 2.5" system from cat all the way back, 1 sports muffler & 1 res. It sounds good for a legal ford six. It sounded better without the res but it was way too loud to be legal. Damn fun police!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
FLASH wrote:

The 351W has a different block to the 302W, deck height stands taller, heads are further apart & manifold from 302W won't fit.

The clevo block on the other hand, the bottom end can be changed from 302 to 351, and even stroked to 383.

Macca wrote:

I dunno about that, i've heard a couple of mild turbo 4l's and they didn't sound too horrible, but i've also heard some really hot turbo 4l's & they did sound good, but i don't think it was better than the sound of a thumping 8! I grew up around hot 302 & 351 clevo powered falcon's my parents owned, and hot v8 holdens my older brothers owned, a HG 308 prem & a genuine HQ SS 253 4spd. I've got a 253, stock internal in my HZ pano, with stock manifolds, just a nice 2.5" system with a hot dog & 1 sports muffler, and for a stocker man it sounds great. I can't wait to get extractors on it!

My EB is just a 4lt 6, but i've got extractors, 2.5" system from cat all the way back, 1 sports muffler & 1 res. It sounds good for a legal ford six. It sounded better without the res but it was way too loud to be legal. Damn fun police!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Yeah i knew the 302w and the 351w are different blocks.
And the 302 clevo and 351 clevo where the same, they have the same bore size but different strokes.

I just thought the ea gt had a clevo, i was mistaken.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

um rebuild cost to much let alone turbo rebuild. yea i spose i could remove full fuel system.

can they will they check my engine number to see if its a 302 or 351 cause i could alwasy say its a 302c

um i want soem thing different but easy as well. would there be much difference in weight in a 82 351 and a 96 302w?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next