Little Bit Of Guidance On Ignition Leads Please 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Little Bit Of Guidance On Ignition Leads Please
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi, Im in the process of fitting gt40p's,explorer manifold, and a set of pacemaker ph4000's to my xr8 and am a little bit lost as to which ignition leads will suit this combo. ive read countless times that they need to have 90deg boots at both ends of the leads.

now im currently searching through summit's website for an appropriate set and have come across these ones

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31229/?rtype=10

my questions are:

1 - are all leads the one length with each end already crimped or do i have to cut and crimp to suit

2 - if so are there any specific tool/s i need to buy to make these leads up

3 - if these arnt correct for what im wanting to do can someone point me in the right direction

any help is very much appreciated, cheers

Post subject: Re: Little Bit Of Guidance On Ignition Leads Please
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

au v8 leads-gtp40 heads,do they use coil pack or dizzy,

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

AU V8 uses a coil pack setup.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

If you haven't yet fitted the GT40P's to the engine (in your car) then bolt up the headers to the cylinder heads. Fit the spark plugs and try your current leads (you only need to use 1 lead and fit it sequentially to all 8 plugs). This will clearly identify if you need 90° boots. In my application (GT40P heads, HM headers) the original E-series 45° boot leads were a comfortable fit without even getting close to any of the pipes.

Years ago Summit Racing sold a universal spark plug wire kit that included the crimping tool. Try SUM-G825 for a universal fit 90° boot spiral wound plug lead kit. But unless you're buying some other parts from Summit at the same time, I would have thought that a local vendor would have been much cheaper. Remember Summit charges something like a US$25 "international handling fee".

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
If you haven't yet fitted the GT40P's to the engine (in your car) then bolt up the headers to the cylinder heads. Fit the spark plugs and try your current leads (you only need to use 1 lead and fit it sequentially to all 8 plugs). This will clearly identify if you need 90° boots. In my application (GT40P heads, HM headers) the original E-series 45° boot leads were a comfortable fit without even getting close to any of the pipes.

Years ago Summit Racing sold a universal spark plug wire kit that included the crimping tool. Try SUM-G825 for a universal fit 90° boot spiral wound plug lead kit. But unless you're buying some other parts from Summit at the same time, I would have thought that a local vendor would have been much cheaper. Remember Summit charges something like a US$25 "international handling fee".

thats interesting,i have to install 2 sets of heads and havnt chased this up yet.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

I suggest you have a look at a set of these being made up. Cost me $190 but apparently they are about as good as your going to get for your application.

http://www.a1hiperformance.com.au/docs/ ... rod_id=230

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

just had a custom set made up for my car with gt40p heads. Cost me 110 bucks plus postage.

From qld ignition. great serice and great product.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just punched that msd part no. into google and one of the results led me to the jegs website which showed heaps more info than the summit site.

heres the link for those interested:

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/31229/10002/-1#moreDetails

turns out they are a universal set that you cut according to your application and they come with the cutter and crimping tool which is perfect.

thanks for the replies guys

Last edited by nannas_ed on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xafalcon wrote:

yeh ive got a handful of other bits in need from them so ill order everything together and on get stung one lot of p/h fees.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]