Fordmods Logo

LPG Conversion, suggestions? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Conversion, suggestions?
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: No fords at the mo' :-(

NSW, Australia

Hi Learn'ed people.

I am toying with the idea of an LPG conversion. Well Dual-Fuel actually.

I have never played with LPG before so ....

Here is what is happening to my car so far ....

Bigger TB and Bigger MAF, new heads, 1.7 roller rockers, new rings and bearings, 'Explorer' upper and lower manifold, Ignition module, DiFilippo 4-into-1 extracors and 3" system, EL fan conversion, under-drive pulley ....

Now, How does this LPG thingy interface with all this?
Is it before the MAF? or after?
Is it just in front of the TB? Does my TB affect the performance of the LPG Carb?
I will use the standard cam. Is this ok? What sort of In / Ex profile does LPG prefer?
How will my EEC-IV interface with this crap!
What brand / system / type should I consider?

Or should I live with the high fuel prices?

Please help ......

Cheers,

Chasing 162mph on the Salt! 4.2L. Both race cars now sold! :-( Maybe a small-block tractor puller! or a Lotus 7 Clubman is next! or a 351-stroker powered EB ... ?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Give Joe @ Crescent Motorsports a call. He's doing the LPG setup on my V8, and he's done many others also.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: No fords at the mo' :-(

NSW, Australia

Thanks.

I spoke to Joe the other day.

He was very helpful.

He spoke of an Air Rod brand convertor (or is it mixer?) and someting about a positive pressure thingy 3 stage doover lackie ...

Anyway, jokes aside, has anyone else had experience with powerful and succcessful Dual-Fuel conversions? Or had with done by Joe at Cresent Motors?

Cheers

Chasing 162mph on the Salt! 4.2L. Both race cars now sold! :-( Maybe a small-block tractor puller! or a Lotus 7 Clubman is next! or a 351-stroker powered EB ... ?

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

my suggestion is dont do it,ive got a eb v8 and au xr8 the eb is on gas(duel) one its got next to no boot space,two its a slug,three the gas is allways playing up,the money ive spent tuning and replacing little nic naks hear and there ive saved nothing,and on the highway my au is actully cheaper to run anyway,imo you will never get your money back on a gas conversion in savings.when i was buying my xr i knocked back 3 before i found mine coz they were on gas!thats just my opinion but the au is the first car ive had not on gas and i wont have it again after i sell the eb,and i do heaps of ks (work is 100k round trip every day)but its up to you

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
my suggestion is dont do it,ive got a eb v8 and au xr8 the eb is on gas(duel) one its got next to no boot space,two its a slug,three the gas is allways playing up,the money ive spent tuning and replacing little nic naks hear and there ive saved nothing,and on the highway my au is actully cheaper to run anyway,imo you will never get your money back on a gas conversion in savings.when i was buying my xr i knocked back 3 before i found mine coz they were on gas!thats just my opinion but the au is the first car ive had not on gas and i wont have it again after i sell the eb,and i do heaps of ks (work is 100k round trip every day)but its up to you

The biggest problem lyes with LPG is the installer and tuner ive found. If your installer is some habib or just someone who can tune it without knowing really much about it and not setting you up with with decent leads, plugs or a good setup you car yes will run like s**t and yes most definately will cause you problems like any other mechanical things if its not done right it will become an a**!

I spend $20 roughly and i can cruise down to newcastle and back and have nearly half a tank of fuel left..

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fuzzy is spot on. Also gotta ensure the right system has been installed for your car.

The other thing is that duel fuel will always be more troublesome than a straight LPG setup, as Petrol and LPG have totally different tuning properties. If you tune somewhere in between, both fuels are comprimised, if you tune for LPG, petrol will be s**t, and vice versa. Also if running on LPG for extended periods of time, your injectors will foul up.

As for the lack of boot space.. who really uses that back shelf in the boot anyway? I've still got room for a massive 2x12 sub box in the bood and the weekly shopping.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
As for the lack of boot space.. who really uses that back shelf in the boot anyway? I've still got room for a massive 2x12 sub box in the bood and the weekly shopping.

1 x Large Marrow
1 x 25ml Tub of Vaseline
4 x Romantic Candles
1 x Microwave Lasagne for One

:roll:

Plenty of space left..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]