Fordmods Logo

LPG V8 Upgrades... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

A few years back all lpg was around 100-105, but now its quiet a bit lower, I beleive that the average ron for lpg now is around 92 which is ULP levels. Using high compressions and forced induction is no longer as good an option these days

Pround memeber Team DYNAMIC WHITE

"NFURI8" Fairlane ghia nf2 v8.
Pacemaker p4000
El gt snorkle, K&N filter.
JVC and INFINITY audio system.
EL GT Shadow Chrome alloys

AU3 Falcon Dedicated Gas

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

bp promise that their lpg is a minimum of 100 ron, see their website. unigas (i'm told) is 100% propane, making it quite a bit higher than that.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

sam12h wrote:
bp promise that their lpg is a minimum of 100 ron, see their website. unigas (i'm told) is 100% propane, making it quite a bit higher than that.

according to BP website they use 50/50 with there lpg so i cant see it being over 100ron :(

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:21 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

100RON, 92RON, atleast 100RON,... that's my point.
The companies can promise one thing today and something else next week.
You can only be reasonably certain of what you get if legislation mandates labling and/or defines what consititutes LPG, there is no other way :(

And unfortunately if you have a wicked lpg install with high comp. ratio and running lots of boost. A bit of fun and a bad does of lpg can end up rather costly (unless you have a working knock sensor setup with your injected lpg install). Is there such a system available today - not that i am aware of.

Cheers.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

only way to be safe at high power levels is to run straight propane, if you are using bowser LPG always buy from the same places, then the tune shouldn't change, you wont get great performance from n/a LPG engines it just doesn't happen, force it in and it will work nuch better, there are no fast n/a LPG cars but are plenty of really fast turbo/blown LPG cars.
My favourite example XE-LPG-Turbo-newer model 6cyl-3.25 gears.
10.42 @130MPH, or about 320rwkw, thats freakin fast, street legal, and driveable.

If you upgrade to gas research carb get a camshaft with more duration on the exhaust side, if you stick with impco or others no need to get more exhaust duration they don't need it, but the GRA setups love exhaust duration when n/a, forced is another thing tho, too much exhaust duration with a turbo can be bad. If you do get GRA carb you must use there spring kit in the converter.

If you want more power then turbo/supercharge it and run LPG, if you wish to keep it n/a switch back to petrol, when n/a LPG never beats petrol but when forced it can surpass it(to a point) as long as you have enough LPG delivery.

Itchy-There are knock sensor systems around but if you run a solid cam they think the engine is knocking all the time! Only way to run the system properly is to use any 3D ignition computer that you can program the knock sensor to suit the engine, any fuel injection computer can be used but it adds a fair cost increase into the setup. Haltech stopped making there IG5N ignition computer and I haven't been able to find anything else like it, except for $$$$ fuel inj computers.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

With 100%propane you can safely run 12.0:1 compresiion. The NA/potential is there but the mixer/carb is too much of a restriction to pursue that avenue. Also with the GRA setup you need a cam with a good vacum at idle so you can't drive around in an angry N/A LPG v8.

And oh yes that XE. I had a video of that on my PC from www.fullbooost.com.au but I lost it and they took it off the site last year. 550rwhp out of a budget built AU 4.0L in an XE ESP. That thing has gone on to run 10.2 and so far is probably the fastest LPG fuelled car in australia. The next closest is ezy10 which has pulled a 10.80. On a s**t track it will just fry the tyres from start to finish.

And on the subject of the fuel companies supplying anything from crap to good stuff I heard that shell also sell unigas. In the taxi I only ever fill from a boral pump, elgas/unigas pump, or a shell/mobil or BP servo. The rest is pure rubbish. It would be good if it was all like it was in the early/mid 90's. 18cents a litre and 115RON across the board.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

I wish they just sold propane at the bowser like in the US.

10.2 thats quick, can't wait to see if i can get close to that with a turbo V8 on LPG.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

From what you've mentioned about your car you should be able to smash that record.The probelm would be where are you going to fit all the converters in the engine bay lol.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

In theory yes my car should be quicker but its also much heavier, an alloy headed 6 cyl in XE 'VS' full iron V8(world block weighs more than a normal block) in a longer LTD(all electrics, sunroof, more glass).

Guess we just have to wait and see! I personally think it will never get enough traction unless I do extensive suspension work.

I don't know how its all going to fit, I'll make it somehow. Theres gonna be a lot of coolant and LPG plumbing with the four converters tho, bit of a spaghetti incident i think.

A bit OT but LPG related.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Traction would be a big issue. If your running a 26x10x15 tyre you would probably need a 4 link conversion or caltracs if you are using leaf springs. How much did you get the world block for anyway? I was looking at the coast high performance website and they are selling tuff crate motors for reasonable prices. Ford motorsport sportsman block forged 4340 crank, rods and pistons (pistons are made by probe), roller cam ground to order 5 axis cnc ported cylinder heads that flow 320cfm inlet and 225cfm exhaust for around 7k us. What do you reckon?

Pm me if you want to continue this convo before this thread goes up to s**t.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU3 XR8 Ute

NT, Australia

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Theres a long way to go before there system is capable of big power and an even longer waiting for it too happen I have spoken to the inventors off all the gas/vapour/liquid injection places within OZ but none are able to provide a solution at the moment, the liquid inject people say 6 months, but wait and see it will take longer I think. Those systems are very expensive, and are vehicle specific, so when you are going for big power or odd combinations there systems aren't really suitable, not for now anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2