mechanical or electrical? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: mechanical or electrical?
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Hi just wondering which is best mechanical or electrical? fan and gas pump on my 302 clev just thought one may be better and machanical may take some hp?

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

Electrical are better but if you run a electrical fan i would hook up a little light to show you that the fan is working or something like that

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

so is it really worth it? hrm a light good idea

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

mechanical fans sap horsepower, thats why just about all modern cars have electical fans.
can get about 5kw gain at flywheel from that alone

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Thermo fans ... Check e bay...
Down your way a good 12" single via temp sensor and relay will cool fine....Use the sensor to earth the realy switch to "on"...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:07 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

im running a 16inch thermo on my with the davies craig thermo kit only thing letting my system down is the f**k radiator

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Sweet will have to get one then and unhook the other shouldnt take much to set up huh

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

To be honest, i had nothing but probs running thermos on my XD with a 351 Clevo, no matter what i tried the thing always over heated.
I ran a 16 inch with davies craig thermatic switch, then added 2 10 inch in the front and still ran hot.
I p****d them off and fitted a clutch fan back on and it was perfect after that.
I tried everything before i went back to clutch though, fans against rad, fans spaced, fitted a shroud but no go.
I built a 308 for a guys show car a couple of years back, he fitted thermos and when i went down to fire it up and run the cam in it boiled, again threw a clutch fan on and bingo.

If i were to do it again i'd run a set of E or A series thermos

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

EB was the start of them wasnt it, so aftermarket dosent seem to good might have to pick one up from a wreaker

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

au fans fit better the xd radiators im thinking of upgrading to

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:23 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Walker wrote:
To be honest, i had nothing but probs running thermos on my XD with a 351 Clevo, no matter what i tried the thing always over heated.
I ran a 16 inch with davies craig thermatic switch, then added 2 10 inch in the front and still ran hot.
I p****d them off and fitted a clutch fan back on and it was perfect after that.
I tried everything before i went back to clutch though, fans against rad, fans spaced, fitted a shroud but no go.
I built a 308 for a guys show car a couple of years back, he fitted thermos and when i went down to fire it up and run the cam in it boiled, again threw a clutch fan on and bingo.

If i were to do it again i'd run a set of E or A series thermos

Yep those davies craig things simply don't pull enough CFM to cool properly. Ive got EL fans on my ute and have used them on many other conversions with no problems. I use a circuit to sense current to the fan motors and drive leds to show operation.
I see many aftermarket versions of these being used now and haven't heard any bad reports as yet but some have expressed doubt on the motor quality.
EF was the start of electric fan use on falcons. These had one two speed motor and one flat out and the EEC controlled the speeds through relays. The EL has two full speed motors but the EEC controlled the speeds by a combination of relay actuation. The AU fans have a slightly smaller shroud area which can be better for some installations with smaller radiators(like my XE..of course AU's didn't exist when I put my ute together)
The clutch fans on EB and ED are actually pretty efficient but not quite as efficient as electric fans simply because even when the temp doesn't require full drive from the fan there is still some power drag. Of course when the electric fans are off there is no power drag at all.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Yeah i know what ya saying, i don't think EF were even out when i done the fans on the XD, and that wouldn't have even been a thought back then.

One thing i did notice was the voltage guage when the fans kicked in, and because of it an RPM drop... for that reason i found the clutch to be far better in cooling and power drag.

Will definately be fitting the AU to the XD if i ever put it back on the road.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I fitted one of those black flexi fans to my XY clevo and an electric fan on the front of the radiator with an illuminated switch when the thing is turned on.

It is still fitted with a thermo,just incase I left the fan on(flat battery in no time)

It only ever gets used in summer when your stuck in traffic and the needle goes past the norm spot on the gauge

Looking at the flixi fan at idle,then rev the motor,the thing sure does flex,but bending those blades must be costing me a bit of power

But the must have you blokes should have with a 30 year old donk is one of these filters,bloody magic,the amount of crap it has saved going into my radiator,paid for it's self in the first year,just keep it clean

Hers a happy,and look at the filter after the new cam and g box went in,and that is only after about 3 tanks of petrol :shock: :shock: :shock:

For the peanuts money these things are,every old V8 should have one...

[b]BANNED[\b]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]