Fordmods Logo

Mexican Blocks & VicRoads... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Mexican Blocks & VicRoads...
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:36 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Hi fellow Victorian windsor warlords :)

Curious if anyone on here has taken out a late model EFI windsor block and replaced it with a Mexican block, then given the engine number to VicRoads to get it all legal etc?

Without sounding too naive about it, I'd presume earlier model mexican blocks from the 60s could have different number ranges from later models - I'd be interested to know if there is a certain number range that automatically deems the swap illegal in the eyes of VicRoads.

Any info appreciated !

Thanks,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Post subject: Re: Mexican Blocks & VicRoads...
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

As most mexican blocks come from the U.S. they generally don't have engine numbers on them. So you can just stamp your engine number on there.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Also remember that Mexican blocks don't have the extended lifter bores or 1-piece rear main seal machining that the later "EFI" blocks have. So if you were thinking of doing a block conversion and swapping everything else, the costs will be quite high because you'll need to machine the block to suit the crank and purchase a new camshaft, pushrods and lifters. A BOSS block is probably a better option for not much extra cost, unless your Mexican is very cheap.

But if you plan to do what I did, a full shortblock conversion, it works out OK if the old shortblock is sold to recover some money. Just remember the imbalance factor if you're running an early crank, as the flywheel & balancer will need to be replaced. And if your front end dress is AU V8, you'll need a balance job to get the balancer down from 50oz-in to 28oz-in as I don't believe there are any suitable 28oz-in aftermarket balancers available.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

half the pits dont even question the different engines, as long as it came out with a v8 and still retains the same capacity and emmision componets they'll just record the engine number.

thats what happen to my 220engine into a EF

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Steve, I remember with my block that Vicroads had me pop the bonnet and looked for the number. When they found it was new and had no number, they went back inside, generated a new VR number, gave me the paper and said get this number stamped on the block and then come back for them to check it.
It didn't have to be on the normal plate where the engine number traditionally sits on AUS blocks, just as long as it was on the block itself and visible.
I remember I couldn't get anyone to stamp the number on the normal plate under the head as it was inaccessible with all the regular engine parts in place so I had the new VR number etched onto the side rear of the block where the bellhousing sits. Vicroads then checked it and approved it.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]