Fordmods Logo

Mild 5.0 EFI mods? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Mild 5.0 EFI mods?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EDXR6, XC Falcon, EL2XR8

VIC, Australia

ok heres what i have been given to work with.

EB2 SXR8

twin 2.25" exhaust, EL GT headers, 5spd manual, CAI (could probably be a better one to be honest), and thats bout it, everything else engine/driveline wise is untouched.

where do we go from here,
i was thinking swap the intake manifold to an explorer one with AU injectors, possibly fit an AU3 220 cam? (how well would that work with the E7s?)
also looking into aftermarket cams, possibly a crow 621338? (http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalo ... %20EFI.pdf) or something similar?

i want to wire up a set of thermos to it while we are at it (not my car its my best mates)

would like to see over the 200 flywheel killowatt mark, 240 would be nice but i think unacheiveable on a tight budget.

how much will a custom tune cost also? would there be much to gain in getting one done?

what sort of suggestions do you guys have?

1977 XC Sedan Project: Poo Brown, 351 toploader 9" . 1998 EL Series 2 XR8: Oxford Green 5spd manual. DEAD (KANGAROO)
1993 ED XR6: Polynesian Green, Auto. pacies (SOLD WRECK). 1974 TA22 Celica Project: 5speed, DYLZTA
1998 EL Series 2 XR8, Oxford green, Auto .1973 XA Coupe, 351, FMX, borgy diff

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

NSW, Australia

good to see others interested aswell
i just gotten myself into an ed fairmont 5 litre so ill be watching this thread

drifty

:P

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

vrblou02 wrote:

drifty

Yeah i just bought a stock standard eb II fairmont v8 and wondering what can be done to get it going a bit better...

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

chr!s wrote:
vrblou02 wrote:

drifty

Yeah i just bought a stock standard eb II fairmont v8 and wondering what can be done to get it going a bit better...

maybe we should meet up sometime and compare:P

but start with opening up the exhaust and gettinbg rid of awful restrictive headers so a set of gt extractors or somethin like that
and from there the skys ur limit
:)

drifty

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Diff Gears, Not really increasing power but you notice the extra poke down low :-)

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Burns wrote:
Diff Gears, Not really increasing power but you notice the extra poke down low :-)

will this affect fuel economy and the drivability much?

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i have 3.9 diff gears in mine combined with that awful 4sp auto. makes first gear almost normal. i get around 430km's to a tank with ave speed of around 45kph. thats a bit over 15L/100km. driveability is probably better as you don't need as much throttle percentage to get going. it also helps going down hills as you don't have to be on the brakes the whole time.

normally the first mod to do is the exhaust. once you've freed up the exhaust you can look at getting more air in. i'm not running a maf on mine so don't know too much about this area. i think au ones are bigger. as for the rest, bolting on an au top end will be cheapest option and some cars see gains in the vicinity of 20kw or so, give or take.

this includes 65mm t/b, explorer upper and lower manifold and gt40p heads.

all up should set you back around the $1000 mark give or take and then extra for fitting and tuning if you can't do it yourself.

changing cams in the windsor usually makes a sizeable difference but it is an expensive exercise.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks for your feedback prydey :D

yea i have been looking into the gt40 heads i could of got them the other day for $500 but didnt have the cash
as from what i no not only are the factory headers restrictive
but the factory heads are quite dull aswell and there is good gains to be had with the gt40 heads

but i dont need to go down that path yet as atm i am just going for bolt ons just to get it moving a little quicker

i thought we needed the maf for the car to run properly as doesnt that affect the air fuel ratio?
yes i do no people put au 1's on as they are bigger hence equals more flow :)
what are they worth?
and are they worth doing ?

also what cai setup can u guys recommend thats cheap and good bang for your buck
i have been told xr6t is good
whats your thoughts on this or any other ideas?

i have been looking into the threads on here about the explorer manifold
doesnt seem that worthy and needy till u are going for that last little drop at the end really
and is 65 mm t/b a good size for a standard 5litre
i seen 70 and 75 mm on eaby but i reckon they would be way to big

yes would love a big lumpy cam but maybe down the track when i do the heads and start getting into it big

then the blower will come into place , well that or turbo

any feedback on all this would be good

cheers

Drifty

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Just sticking a bigger MAF in wont help much, you need to have the tune adjusted for it. vrblou02 your right about the TB, you need not go bigger untill you actually do have the heads, cam intake to make the most of it, even the 58mm one flows a fair bit and is suited to most mild street applications. Steer clear of the Performance Products TB's from the states, as the throttle actuation is wrong for the Aussie 5ltrs, Ive got one here and it looks like a good unit, but it will take modification to make it work, and so Im running only the 65mm AU TB at the moment. prydey, how have you worked around the MAF, are you running an aftermarket ECU, and if so, why delete the MAF, they really arnt that much of a restriction apart from the standard 5ltr HO one

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks jaysen seems ill worry about the t/b when i do the heads then :P

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

guys- my car is mafless because thats how i bought it. i'm running microtech ecu (standalone not piggyback). the guy went aftermarket ecu as the factory one apparently doesn't handle the cam that well (capa eliminator chip wasn't available then i don't think)

just means it it may be a little bit more thirsty when cruising as it doesn't have closed loop mode but otherwise i'm happy with it. means i don't have any sensors interfering with the tune when they stop working.

wheni bought it, it had e7 heads and ho manifold still. heads were shaved with ports opened up a touch and the manifold was ported and matched to the heads. my biggest gripe is i don't know what cam is in it other than it being a crow but it seems fairly mild. with this setup i had 155rwkw. without changing the cam and just doing bolt on's i'd say a stock 5.0 should be able to get somewhere between 130 - 140rwkw.

also when gong to a bigger maf i think you have to put your old insides back in it.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i'm up at the 150 mark, but its a manual, all i've done is full zorst, cai, lighting maf, 65mm t/b. lighting maf is for the 19 injectors,

my first dyno run was just zorst and cai(with filter) neted 143rwkw
second was with zorst, cai, and maf got me up to 148
the last one I did was all the above with the 65 t/b and it ran a 138 :? when it cam off the dyno i noticed that the maf was unpluged since i'd taken it all of the day before hand to clean out the airbox and filter, I didn't notice it not bing pluged in silly me.

got lots of extras to go on it when i can be stuffed.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

The top end off a AU, preferably a 200-220kw motor (heads, intake , throttle body, roller rockers, cam) onto the HO motor would be the way I'd go.

A bigger cam with a decent Maf and Tune will see some good results, 250 rwhp is achievable.

If not a blower.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

schnoods wrote:
The top end off a AU, preferably a 200-220kw motor (heads, intake , throttle body, roller rockers, cam) onto the HO motor would be the way I'd go.

A bigger cam with a decent Maf and Tune will see some good results, 250 rwhp is achievable.

If not a blower.

the phrase 'tight budget' was mentioned in the first post so i don't think a cam will make it under that heading.

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EDXR6, XC Falcon, EL2XR8

VIC, Australia

sounds like its almost worth buying a low k AU 220 motor and just dropping it in with a mild cam....

1977 XC Sedan Project: Poo Brown, 351 toploader 9" . 1998 EL Series 2 XR8: Oxford Green 5spd manual. DEAD (KANGAROO)
1993 ED XR6: Polynesian Green, Auto. pacies (SOLD WRECK). 1974 TA22 Celica Project: 5speed, DYLZTA
1998 EL Series 2 XR8, Oxford green, Auto .1973 XA Coupe, 351, FMX, borgy diff

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next