Modifcations For a 5Litre Windsor 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Modifcations For a 5Litre Windsor
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane NCII V8

QLD, Australia

Hi,

I have a 94 V8 NCII Fairlane Ghia. Im just wondering What in in the way of mods can be put on the beast. Not Huge Power increases, but just to take it from stock to something that will give me a decent push in the back.

The reason why:

I bought my Dad the same model Fairlane, A bloody Tidy unit after his 6cyl NA Decided it would die. It has an exauhst fittied with a deep note that only really howls above 4000rpm. But when I drive mine, get out and then drive his, there is a huge difference in acceleration. you really get a shove in the back, and sometimes traction prblems. He runs on normal unleaded. I'm on gas, or if not ultimate with octane booster, and i still cant keep with him! He just hauls away.

We were talking to a bloke we play poker with, dad's has a tow pack, mine doesn't, the bloke said, he heard that some towpack Fairlanes had been factory tweaked, possibly with using a chip, but he didn't know how much truth is in it. I've talked to some mates, they said it might be possible.

Has there been something done to his, (Possibly internal??) that has causes him to leap away from me, whether it be at the lights or on the Highway? Help!!! I am the subject of many a joke that ends with my Fairlane is faster than yours!! I need to settle the score!! The only thing that mine does, thats faster than his, is stop and corner! Its amazing what Bendix Ultimates with DBA slotted rotors, Wrapped in GIII Rubber does!

Cheers,
Shannan,
Blue Beast II

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:08 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

Best to do a search mate, u will get HEAPS of info!

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

oh and as for the toe pack, i havnt heard anything, but i got a 00 lane, 175kws, me other is a 02 LTD, which is 185kws... but the ltd feels like it pulls so much harder that 10kws extra, n it has a tow pack.....

so dunno really, could be.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Shannan, try checking the timing on your dads and yours. the V8s are meant to be 30 degrees. I checked mine the other day and it was set to zero! Adjusted it up to 30 degrees and it was pinging so dropped it back to 25 degrees and all good now. It looked like it had never been done as I needed a screwdriver and hammer to move the distributor! Now it has a heap more grunt, runs on 1/4 instead of over half, uses about 20% less fuel, idles better. Best thing I've ever done to it. Get yourself a timing light and give it a shot.
good luck!

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

man, check the gas install. or at least the point where the gas gets inserted into the air intake. that part can often be a restriction even when ur on petrol.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Build# 499 BF F6 TYPHOON DEJA VU

VIC, Australia

ELV8 wrote:
Shannan, try checking the timing on your dads and yours. the V8s are meant to be 30 degrees. I checked mine the other day and it was set to zero! Adjusted it up to 30 degrees and it was pinging so dropped it back to 25 degrees and all good now. It looked like it had never been done as I needed a screwdriver and hammer to move the distributor! Now it has a heap more grunt, runs on 1/4 instead of over half, uses about 20% less fuel, idles better. Best thing I've ever done to it. Get yourself a timing light and give it a shot.
good luck!

thats good to know, got my unichip fitted and tuned by G&D, they said my timing was out so they re set it, hmmmmmmmm they said it was out,, ever since that was done my car is drinking more, might have to get that checked

232.5 RW KILLER WASPS

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On a heavy car, good tune with better exhaust system and 3.45 final drive....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane NCII V8

QLD, Australia

Thanks Guys, I'll Give it a burl.

Now where the hell did i put that Timing Light. *Scratch* *Scratch*.

Cheers
Shannan,
Blue Beast II

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

Arn't these dissy's a solid shaft with no mech advance or vac advance.
And set at top dead center with the ecu controling the advance.

as for your dads fairlane maybe it has different gearing or tyre diameter.
Maybe it's stall convertor is locking up at a higher rpm which will give more accel.
Oil weight can slow your car as well as it causes more resistance the thicker the oil.
Your dads car may have have heads machined giving it more compression which gives better accel.

There is alot of varible's that may make a difference.
You need to check for what they maybe to find answer.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

There is HEAPS of stuff that you can do for the 5L to get her going a bit harder.

just ask EBXR8380 - he will give you plenty of idea's.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
There is HEAPS of stuff that you can do for the 5L to get her going a bit harder.

Good to see ya back on :o

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

[quote="XR8Chic"]There is HEAPS of stuff that you can do for the 5L to get her going a bit harder.

just ask EBXR8380 - he will give you plenty of idea's.[/quote]

That's right but you also need the folding stuff to do it.

A good start is with some iridium spark plugs, hi performance leads and a good air filter eg K&N or Redline.
This will set you back around $250 - $300.

Make sure if you run your dad youv'e got the best fuel your car runs on in the tank (not to full though).

With these few little things you may turn the things the other way.

If you have a bit more funds next would be to have a exhaust done which would set you back anywhere from $500 to $3000 depending on what sort of level and quality you are looking for.

From there big dollars , cam, heads/head work, stroking, forced induction etc

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

pkr wrote:
XR8Chic wrote:

That's right but you also need the folding stuff to do it.

A good start is with some iridium spark plugs, hi performance leads and a good air filter eg K&N or Redline.
This will set you back around $250 - $300.

Make sure if you run your dad youv'e got the best fuel your car runs on in the tank (not to full though).

With these few little things you may turn the things the other way.

If you have a bit more funds next would be to have a exhaust done which would set you back anywhere from $500 to $3000 depending on what sort of level and quality you are looking for.

From there big dollars , cam, heads/head work, stroking, forced induction etc

Exactlty thats why I said good exhaust extractors $700 and diff $550..In a heavy car, torque is king.. Doing mods like cam, heads is only going to make it slow in low rpm range and use heaps fuel...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Disagree

Depending on how radical you go on cam and heads.

With a mild upgrade in cam and say some port matching, guide profiling and bowl blending and valve seat cutting you will increase airflow with out hurting air speed at low revs.
This will make a good difference in power and response all over the rev range and will actually run cheaper on fuel as you would make it more efficient.
I have done this to every car I have owned (bar my XY REP which I built for all out performance) and they have all improved on performance and economy.

If you go to a cam with lots of valve overlap and enlarge the heads ports then this would hurt bottom end power and be thirsty on fuel.
If you where to do this then you would need to use a lower ratio diff which will also hurt fuel economy.

If you do a lot of highway driving I would reconmend 3:1 gears.
But if your not doing lots of highway driving going to 3.5:1 up to 3.7:1 will more than likely inprove fuel economy with better accel.

My best economical performer was my TD cortina which used approx 11 litre's of LPG to 100k's and could run high 12's(you use near twice as much lpg as to pulp) that was with driving it very hard time to time and some highway driving.

This was a 351w with mild cam & head work with custom tri-y's, single 3" mandual exhaust, 2500 stall shift kitted c4, 3.7:1 diff. ect

I shouldn't have sold this TD Cortina.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Now you are talking $$$$$
Do the kiss first then open engine latter, it will double what eve you do to engine...
What Ford did to Tickford vehicles...

Kiss [keep it simple stupid]

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next