Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: modified eb5.0 economy
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

as this is my first v8 i'm just trying to guage what sort of economy to expect. obviously if you drive around in a v8 economy is not a major concern but i like to know that it is running at its optimum and i use economy to guage this.

as i bought the car as is i am not 100% sure on all mods but will list as much as i know.

stage 3 crow cam (don't know number), ported heads and intake, mafless tune and microtech, extractors(hurricane i think), twin cats and single 3" mandrel system. auto is shift kitted and also has 3.9 gears with minispool.
returned a reasonably healthy 158rwkw.

at the moment it is on about 17 - 18l/100km. this equates to about 370km from 65l give or take.

those with similar mods or those with some knowledge in this area, is this average, poor or good.

will an lsd chew more than minispool or bout the same?

thanks guys

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Post subject: Re: modified eb5.0 economy
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
as this is my first v8 i'm just trying to guage what sort of economy to expect. obviously if you drive around in a v8 economy is not a major concern but i like to know that it is running at its optimum and i use economy to guage this.

as i bought the car as is i am not 100% sure on all mods but will list as much as i know.

stage 3 crow cam (don't know number), ported heads and intake, mafless tune and microtech, extractors(hurricane i think), twin cats and single 3" mandrel system. auto is shift kitted and also has 3.9 gears with minispool.
returned a reasonably healthy 158rwkw.

at the moment it is on about 17 - 18l/100km. this equates to about 370km from 65l give or take.

those with similar mods or those with some knowledge in this area, is this average, poor or good.

will an lsd chew more than minispool or bout the same?

thanks guys
with your specs,you should have a bullet-fast take off in 1st and good response threw gears. the motors going to rev. its head off with the 3.9 diff,you might get 140-180ks top end speed,it will use alot more gas than 18ltrs and will be hard to granny drive it.the diff is ok leave it,check your suspension for wear-bushes and trailing arms,you may have to upgrade brakes to stop!

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

the brakes are fine. the economy is currently around 17/18l/100km. driveability is fine. very easy to baby around. just wondering if those mods = that economy. i know in stock trim they can do a whole lot better than that esp later models which are basically same motor in heavier car.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

prydey wrote:
the brakes are fine. the economy is currently around 17/18l/100km. driveability is fine. very easy to baby around. just wondering if those mods = that economy. i know in stock trim they can do a whole lot better than that esp later models which are basically same motor in heavier car.
look back in v8 mods about 2-4 weeks we had a big response to car using to much fuel,we had 6s and 8s in various forms,they are all thirsty-[may have petrol shares or interest?] these cast iron sluggers make low horse power to cubic inch capacity. 4 cylinders make more hp and half the size and more engineered.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i'm not saying its not running right. its running fine and was tuned not long ago and mixtures are pretty good.

for the third time i'm just after comparisons with other cars with similar setup. not a lecture on whether a v8 is more or less efficient than a 4cyl or how engineered the 1960's block is.

Post subject: Re: modified eb5.0 economy
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
with your specs,you should have a bullet-fast take off in 1st and good response threw gears. the motors going to rev. its head off with the 3.9 diff,you might get 140-180ks top end speed,it will use alot more gas than 18ltrs and will be hard to granny drive it.the diff is ok leave it,check your suspension for wear-bushes and trailing arms,you may have to upgrade brakes to stop!

3.9 + auto should see 2150rpm @ 100kph, not "revving its head off"

My 4.11s in my auto V8 didn't cause it to substantially increase its fuel consumption, in fact it evened it out regarding town driving/highway driving (improvement around town, ~50km range reduction for highway driving). At a guess, I'd say around 14L/100kms mixed driving for me.

prydey's engine setup would most likely be the main cause of the increased fuel consumption. Sounds like you've got a sweet setup there mate!

Out of interest, what heads & intake do you have?

I guess to answer your question, your economy sounds like its on the higher side of what you should expect for a modified windsor, but still within the expected range.

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

How much dyno time has the microtech had being tuned?
Maybe fork out some cash to a reputable tuner and have them concentrate on the cruising side of things.
What sort of driving are you doing to get 17-18l/100?
City/freeway? Granny driving? Mixture?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

sideways driving? (jarrod u forgot one :P)

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

its had a few hours on the dyno with a microtech guru (boostworx - for those in s.a.) and is running pretty well apparently. i did raise the economy with him and its tuned the best he can get it. those econ figures are 100% city driving just normal with the occasional lean on the loud pedal.

sideways driving not real fun due to the minispool it just wants to swap ends all the time.

also revving at 100 will be closer to 2400-2600 rpm. 2150rpm is where it would be for a 3.45.

thanks for replies guys

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

NSW, Australia

Since various mods to my car cam,heads intake etc I have gone from bout 450kms (city) per tank to bout 400kms also in city, it's hard to get great economy with the great sound of a ford v8 barking at you all the time..

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

prydey wrote:
also revving at 100 will be closer to 2400-2600 rpm. 2150rpm is where it would be for a 3.45.

Your auto 5.0 revs between 2400-2600 at 100?

My 4.11 auto 5.0 revs at 2250rpm @ 100kph, 2500rpm @ 110kph.

Something isn't adding up.

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fuel economy sounds a little high, the diff gears wont help, the cam doesn't help, and all depends on the tune and how you drive.

I've got similar mods to kato and i can manage 8 - 9L/100kms on the highway, but if I reset it and give it a bit around town i can get it over 20L/100kms, average of probably 14L/100kms or so....and i'm sure with a the sound of a V8 and a bit of extra punch you don't drive it like a lady!!!!

Check A:F ratios under WOT and lean cruise mode, that'll tell you if the b**ch is rich

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

My economy is SHT at the moement as I have a few holes in the exhuast.
Tale pipe is welded back in but 20 when I accelerate & booting it suck down 1/4 tank plus.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mine sits at 14 cruising around town, sometimes giving it a bit now and then. urs does sound high, but then as others have said, ur diff gears dont help. mine also sits on around 1900 at 100km with 3.45 lsd.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Ghia5L wrote:
Your auto 5.0 revs between 2400-2600 at 100?

My 4.11 auto 5.0 revs at 2250rpm @ 100kph, 2500rpm @ 110kph.

Something isn't adding up.

factory tacho's are crap :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next