Fordmods Logo

Motec Conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Motec Conversion
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

The ED Fairmont EECIV 3DFA engine management is undergoing a conversion to a Motec M800. Currently sitting on an engine dyno waiting for wiring loom to be completed.
Will initially be TPS/MAP based with individual coils.
I was about to scrap the EECIV altogether but being a fairmont I notice some climate control functions are integral with it.
Can anyone help with what needs to be retained for climate control or a work around?
I know I will lose funtionality of the Trip computer & but am told the auto trans can be sorted.
Has anyone done this conversion?

Richie.

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Terrorist Ghia has something similar done with his EF, but running an EMS 8860

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

If its an ED Climate control, not much. The ECU looks after Cutout at WOT, and if the car is overheating. The climate ECU looks after A/C control.

If you take a careful look at the wiring diagrams for the EB/D (Gregories diagrams are actually fairly good) you'll see the little differences... You should be able to bypass the ECU completely very easily.

And Im sure the new ECU can handle a/c cutout at WOT. If it doesnt silicon chip did an A/C Controller recently (last 2 years) that can handle that which you can get at Jaycar.

Nigel

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

im unsure if the ED is the same but i needed to retain a PIP signal to my stock ecu for the thermo fans and ac to work.. the stock ecu will not engage the ac clutch unless it believes the engine is running, same with the thermo fans.

i linked the tach output from my msd box back to the PIP feed on the stock ecu, seems to work..

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

ED Doesnt have Thermo Fan Control - in fact that might be a nice thing about a new ECU.

Nigel

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

Yep - I actually ran thermos on the ED using tweecer - but could only operate full speed.
M800 has 2 fan outputs so I can use EL relays to operate as 2 speed.
Will not be running a dizzy. Am adding sensors to data log oil pressure, oil temp and fuel pressure.
Will again look at schematics closer to sort climate control.

A new loom is being made for the Motec incorporating Thermos etc.
I removed the EECIV harness but found it integrated with ABS harness along the firewall. Also 2 connectors branch off the harness behind the glove box & disappear behind the dash. I think some wires for auto signals and climate and I cannot yet work out the other ones.
What a nightmare!
As a matter of interest - has anyone hidden a harness in an ED to make things look neater under the bonnet ( like the EL )- in particular the big mother that has the relays attached?

Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

with the auto trans u can get the EB/ED series v8 unit that is seperate from the ECU

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

it is a v8, ie already has the seperate tcm,

ritchie, as discussed, the tcm needs a copy of the rpm signal and its own TPS like it originally had

all the climate control stuff will be ok, its just a matter of re-routing the air con compressor wiring, the motec should be able to cut the aircon at a predefined throttle % using a programmable output.

fans - as discussed, have them come on at high speed, you want to get the heat out of there as quickly as possible

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

When I converted my ED V8 to run with a DL V8 ECU and wiring loom, it was so much neater than the ED loom. It looks like Ford used the original EA loom and added wires to it as the series progressed. The ED loom is a complete shamozzal!

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]