My car runs like s**t!.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: My car runs like s**t!..
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

When the car is cold, or during cold weather, the car runs perfect, no dramas at all..
But when its a warm day, and the car is fairly hot, it runs like s**t when i gun it??? If i plant it, itll rev out but doesnt really go anywhere?

What could be causing this?

BTW, its a manual el xr8, as many of u already know by now! lol

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

Does it ping??

have you checked the MAF??

I know quite a few guys who have had enless problems they have spent a lot of money tracking down, only to find out it was the MAF that was at fault.

Even someone on this forum very recently had some issues. Poor guy even spent like $400 on a 2nd hand maf to fix it, only for me to tell him I have a spare sitting in my garage I would have sold to him at a fraction of that price.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
Does it ping??

have you checked the MAF??

I know quite a few guys who have had enless problems they have spent a lot of money tracking down, only to find out it was the MAF that was at fault.

Even someone on this forum very recently had some issues. Poor guy even spent like $400 on a 2nd hand maf to fix it, only for me to tell him I have a spare sitting in my garage I would have sold to him at a fraction of that price.

Nope, doesnt ping at all!

It only runs like s**t when its warm on a hot day.. It'll run fine until i try to floor it!

How can you check to see if its the MAF? So the MAF could be causing this u think?

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

The MAF is the silver part that will connect up to your airbox, just take it off, and have a look inside to see if there is anything on the wires.

If you have a K&N filter, sometimes if there is too much oil on them, it will coat the wires in the MAF so they dont read properly.

Easiest way to test is to put a known working MAF, and see how it goes.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
The MAF is the silver part that will connect up to your airbox, just take it off, and have a look inside to see if there is anything on the wires.

If you have a K&N filter, sometimes if there is too much oil on them, it will coat the wires in the MAF so they dont read properly.

Yeah i might take it off a have a good look at it tomorrow, give it a bit of a cleanout.. Is there anything you can spray inside it to clean it? Or just wipe it clean with a rag?

It's been doing it for the past 2 to 3 months now and is starting to get worse.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Clean it with clean metho or something that dries clean.White spirits , carb cleaner etc..Don"t touch hot wire section of maf... It may also be broken? Clean with key off as they heat to 200c....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I have a K&N filter in mine and I know that they make a cleaning kit for those filters. I was just wondering what you would clean them with if you didn't buy their cleaning kit?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Clean it with clean metho or something that dries clean.White spirits , carb cleaner etc..Don"t touch hot wire section of maf... It may also be broken? Clean with key off as they heat to 200c....

How about some degreaser? If not, then ill have to go out and by come carby cleaner.

Lol, yeah ill have a look at it first thing in morning, before i even think about turning the ignition!

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
XR8Chic wrote:

Yeah i might take it off a have a good look at it tomorrow, give it a bit of a cleanout.. Is there anything you can spray inside it to clean it? Or just wipe it clean with a rag?

It's been doing it for the past 2 to 3 months now and is starting to get worse.

My el xr8 was the same until I cleaned out the mafs, but it still had a noticeable difference in hot/cold weather
if you can take the sensor off the housing, I found one of those $2 screwdriver sets with the torque head ,as it was a cheapy it wasn't hardened real well so I could drill out the centre.
WD 40 is pretty good to clean the sensor, just be sure to clean it off when done.
Another thing I tried & had great success (lots of people will disagree with this mod, just wait & see! :? :? ) is to put a resistor loop in the place of the Intake Air Temprature Sensor (IATS) this ''fools'' the ECU into thinking the air temprature is 0 degrees C, you do the maths the colder the air ,the denser, the denser the higher the amount of O2, the more O2 the more fuel required to meet the stoichiometric default in the ECU ,allowing the engine to run just a little richer, 14.2:1. depending on the voltage allowed back to the ECU. This also allows the timing to advance quicker than the factory preset (regraphing the timing curve)
I believe that I have gained around 10-15hp but there's no dyno proof ,only rooted rear tyres, so try it if you dare ,I didn't regret it!!!
I can give you the colour code of the resistor if you want it? :twisted:

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Actually if you have the earlier sensers that are on # 5 inlet it can be removed and fitted with AU type and fitted on inlet hose before throttle body.That way it reads more exact air temp...
A hot engine runing rich can be apita as it realy needs to run lean as there is less oxygen....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I took out the MAF, gave it a good clean (like Kelli suggested) with some white spirits, and put it all back together.. This was 2 days ago, and am happy to say that the car has improved greatly!! It feels more responsive and even feels like it has a touch more power!

Thanks guys for all ur help, especially Kelli, who suggested it in the first place! :P

Cheers!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]