Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: My new EBII has a Bad Temper...ature
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

I have just become the proud owner of an EBII Fairmont Ghia V8

The temperature gauge only just came up to the bottom of the cold line all the way home (about 400k's) and driving it to work(25ks mixed) it doesn't move off the bottom? Obviously I assume thermostat but the thing is, the high temp light is on constantly aswell?

It's just had new coolant and everything (150k's on it, two owners, immaculate condition) and I'd hate to waste it all over the ground if the problem is elsewhere, so just looking to see if this is a "it's just this wire" kind of problem.

Thanks for the help! :D

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Post subject: Re: My new EBII has a Bad Temper...ature
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Congrats, good to see you back in a Ford. Put some pics of it up. Better ones that what Fiend posted. Proper ones.

With the temperature, I'd say the Thermostat needs to be changed, but thats if the temp gauge is reading properly. Does the heater work well?

The lower thermostat housing has the coolant temp sensor for the ECU in it, not sure where the one for the gauge is. Find out, and check it and the wiring. I'd probably just change the thermostat anyway, you should be able to without losing much coolant.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Thanks mate!

I can see myself loosing 2 litres min which is ok I guess... But I'll try the heater on the way home tonight, thats a bloody logical (good) idea.

I took both sensor plugs from the housing off, the smaller one shaped like an injector plug, had clean connections. The bigger one, assumingly the ECU's one, was full of brown s**t, so I cleaned that out, we'll see what happens...

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Well on the way home yesterday the temp came up to the bottom of the yellow bar and stayed there most of the time. The heater works extremely well haha thanks for that SLO247 :D

High temp warning light went off as soon as it warmed up, however on the way to work this morning it didn't heat up again, it was a real relaxed drive. Thermostat it is, I'll put a 91*c in there I think that's what they were factory?

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

If the heater works really well, the car is probably running hot enough. See what happens after the thermostat I guess. Otherwise I'd try new temp sensors.

I can imagine in the cold NZ weather and with a clutch fan running the whole time, it may not run all that warm some days. Whats the weather like over there at the moment? Last time I was in Auckland for Xmas, it was high 20's and humid.... Never been to Wellington though, I imagine its much colder.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

think the one for the light is in the water container thinge and the gauge is the one hooked to the thermastat...i think.
actually i had the same prob with the light coming on so i changed sensor and now its all good.
and the heater tap was leaking they rust out.

congrats on getting rid of the japper and getting a nice v8 ford. tho for a subby it wasnt a bad looker

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

My ltd is exactly the same, and my mates EBII only comes up just past the yellow line which is normal.

What ever you find for a solution, let me know cause i need to do the same to my car....i replaced the thermostat but maybe i used the wrong one?

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
If the heater works really well, the car is probably running hot enough. See what happens after the thermostat I guess. Otherwise I'd try new temp sensors.

I can imagine in the cold NZ weather and with a clutch fan running the whole time, it may not run all that warm some days. Whats the weather like over there at the moment? Last time I was in Auckland for Xmas, it was high 20's and humid.... Never been to Wellington though, I imagine its much colder.

I am temted to turf the clutch fan in favour of some thermos...Just trying to keep it stock though. Wellies generaly quite cold, avg about 14 throughout year I'd say. Bloody Auckland? waste of time mate! Haha, you wanna at least get down to Taupo or over to the coromandel if you can :D

Troy wrote:
think the one for the light is in the water container thinge and the gauge is the one hooked to the thermastat...i think.
actually i had the same prob with the light coming on so i changed sensor and now its all good.
and the heater tap was leaking they rust out.

congrats on getting rid of the japper and getting a nice v8 ford. tho for a subby it wasnt a bad looker

Cheers Troy, it was a better looking example, I just had what can be described clinicaly as "bottom end anxiety". Yeah there's a low coolant level light but thats alright, this one is seperate and has a thermometer on it, I looked in the owners manual (which it still has along with the tape!) to find what the light meant(hi temp) But it goes away once heated up, go figure. Not loosing any coolant but thanks for the heads up!

XFWAGON wrote:
My ltd is exactly the same, and my mates EBII only comes up just past the yellow line which is normal.

What ever you find for a solution, let me know cause i need to do the same to my car....i replaced the thermostat but maybe i used the wrong one?

Are you still running a clutch fan?? I'm thinking mine might have seized up a bit and is over cooling...I remember when I put thermos in the EA running off the EL ecu and that kept it at absolute optimum temp at all times, was mint.

What temp thermostat did you put in? I've been told people sell 82*c ones for these but they really want 92*c (factory) because they run a rich cycle until they reach 85 and won't go into cruise mode(injection wise) under that either...

2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]