Fordmods Logo

New EL2 XR8 Exhaust. Keep The ELGT Extractors? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: New EL2 XR8 Exhaust. Keep The ELGT Extractors?
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Just put my car in today to get the brakes done and while it was on the hoist I noticed that my exhaust is starting to rust out. So now I have to fork out more money for a bloody exhaust.

Just wondering are the EL GT extractors and the cats that come standard with the car worth keeping or should I go some pacies and high flow cats?

I don't mind having to spend the extra bit on getting pacies etc if I will actually notice a difference. But if not I will leave the extractors and cats alone and just replace the exhaust from where the two sides meet back as this is aftermarket and is where it is rusting.

Cheers.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

just cut the exhaust off from where the rust is! ;) totally up to you mate but if it was me and the cat was fine i would just replace cat back! :D

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I reckon keep the ELGT extractors. I mean they were good enough for 200kw on the GT. You would probably get a little more power out of Pacemakers but might not justify $$ per Kw gained.

Just work on the cat back system I reckon.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Throw them. Good for top end, aftermarket 4>2>1s will give you more low down, middle range and be enough for higher end. It will be a straighter curve on the dyno..

Good enough for the GT, but give them aftermarket extractors and they'll have more than 200fwkw for sure.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I guess i will just look into prices for a full system with pacies and go from there. I can't wait till I can actually buy / upgrade something when I want instead of having to do it because it is broken.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay this weekend I went for a cruise and when I got back my exhaust started sounding like it now has an even bigger hole in it. I have pretty well decided to go straight for a new system but am still unsure about the original GT style extractors.

I am looking at the pacemaker PH4000s which seems to be the most common extractor used on here. But I want to know for sure that these are going to be better then the original ones that I have now. The pacies are 41mm Primaries, 48mm Secondaries and 57mm Outlets. Does anyone know if this is bigger then the EL GT/XR8 Series 2? And also I'm thinking of going twin 2 1/2 inch all the way would this be cool or would it be better having twin 2 1/4?

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

definitely get the pacies....

Banned

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Firstly, the EL GT/XR extractors are OK for mild setups but they are no where near up to pacemaker standard IMO.

Twin 2.5" system is an overkill even for fairly modified engines. A single 2.5" or twin 2.25" would be a better option IMO.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

POSITIVE gains in aftermarket.. You can get a little bit of $ from selling those GT headers to someone who has the stock crap.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool thanks guys chucking the GTs then. At the moment it looks like my exhaust is standard twin press bent 2 1/4 up until just after the trans where it joins into a 3 inch aftermarket mandrel bent single. Do ya think I should just get all this redone exactly the same but all mandrel bent, or do you think that where it joins into a 3 inch it would be like a bottle neck and would be better just going twins the whole way.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The single 3" will not a restriction at all, the press bent 2.25" sections may be though.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well it's decided then. PH4000 pacies, twin 2 1/4 inch into a 3 inch after the trans all mandrel bent stainless. Thanks for your help guys it makes it so much easier when I can just come on here and ask questions instead of relying on dodgy rural exhaust shops that have no prior experience whatsoever. Cheers!

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hell u may get a carton for the GTs if someone here is strapped for cash... hell if u were in perth a mate of mine with a wife, house, kid and a stock nc v8 that could do with em! actually if u go that route lemme know, coz if u willin to offload em cheap, il investigate freight n see if i can get em for him.

but yeh back on topic, i gots an stockish el2 xr, n i very much love my difilipo 4-1s.. nutty exhaust note from em, so if that extra 3nm at 2000rpm(or wotever diff it makes) doesnt matter all that much to you compared to a crisper note, then get the pace maker comps, ie 4into1s, or the diffies..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
hell u may get a carton for the GTs if someone here is strapped for cash... hell if u were in perth a mate of mine with a wife, house, kid and a stock nc v8 that could do with em! actually if u go that route lemme know, coz if u willin to offload em cheap, il investigate freight n see if i can get em for him.

but yeh back on topic, i gots an stockish el2 xr, n i very much love my difilipo 4-1s.. nutty exhaust note from em, so if that extra 3nm at 2000rpm(or wotever diff it makes) doesnt matter all that much to you compared to a crisper note, then get the pace maker comps, ie 4into1s, or the diffies..

Thats cool dude I will post them in the for sale section if I end up not wanting to keep them in the shed as original parts. I was wondering about 4into1s but after doing a search on here a lot of people say that you lose too much bottom end torque. Do pacemaker actually make 4into1s for the EB-AU1 or is it only for the AU2 and 3 with the GT40 heads?

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ah simultaeous post.. yeh good man ^ that should be noice!

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next