Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: new project, need advice on....most of it lol
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

hey guys,

i'm 6 pot falcon man, but as im losing my license for 3 months and i will need something to entertain me in that time, i went and bought this late 60's/early70's 302w from the wreckers. It doesnt run, but after pullin it apart i found the block still looks in pretty good nic (sending it off to be cleaned and crack tested). I was thinking of maybe getting an ED-EL 302 and transfer most of its internals, heads and using efi on my ancient block (if it turns out to be good).

I plan on using this engine for a bit of fun on the skid pan and to drive on the road a little bit (but not daily driver) and im contemplating adding on a positive displacement charger (always been a fan of these). Now questions:
*Would you recommend using internals and efi off ed-el v8 (N/A or blowen...also do heads fit? i read on another thread something about roller rockers off new v8's not compatible with old blocks)?
*If i went with the charger how would stock internals hold up, keeping in mind im not looking to spend a great deal of money or pump a great deal of air into it
*if i go charged, do i use efi or carby? Petrol consumption isnt too much of an issue however will emissions be a problem even though its an old block? or does it depend on the car not engine?

any advice would be greatly appreciated (and i tried searching for info on the stock internals but couldnt find much)

cheers nick

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:18 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Late 5.0 roller blocks have taller lifter bores which means a stock base circle roller cam will not work in your block unless you use Crane link bar type roller lifters(expensive). Otherwise you can use a retro roller cam which has a reduced base circle which allows the use of the 5.0 roller lifters. The block is stronger on your engine and the crank is also stronger.
So I'd rebuild your engine and use a retro roller cam.
The Holley 174 blower is good choice for positive displacement blowers or a Kenne-bell Autorotor job is also good especially if you want to use EFI although bear in mind that Kenne Bell are a***hole to deal with.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The early 302 had better ballanced crank so Id keep it all the same or you will have to change ballancer and flywheel/ flexplate..27 Oz compared to 50Oz...You are not supposed to put early motor in late model car! But I guess if you swapped everthing over from latter efi engine then get exhaust reading you should be fine...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:10 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

The early one is 28oz actually which means the centre counterweights are not necked down like a later 50oz setup. As for early engine in later car a block does not make the engine. Besides, don't tell anyone just do it!

Pete.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cheers for the replies.

How much should i expect to pay for a 347 stroker kit? I was going to keep it at 302ci but after seeing stroker kits for sale for $1100 in a Street machine mag (although it was a year old) that included crank, I beam 5.4" rods and Hypereutectic flat tops I was thinking wouldn't those pistons hold up better than standard if i decide to put a blower on it?

Im tempted to go with just a carby set up as it will save me having to buy a newer engine to get efi componentry off and will be easier to tune...this would be legal in x series car as far as having the carb wouldn't it? (because they were carbed?)

cheers

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

over the windsors life the heads only ever got better.. but the EFI heads are still pretty s**t.. its just that theyd be better s**t than old 302windsor heads..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

skidder wrote:
How much should i expect to pay for a 347 stroker kit? I was going to keep it at 302ci but after seeing stroker kits for sale for $1100 in a Street machine mag (although it was a year old) that included crank, I beam 5.4" rods and Hypereutectic flat tops I was thinking wouldn't those pistons hold up better than standard if i decide to put a blower on it?

A decent stroker kit can go for between $1500 and $2500 ~ depending on choice and application. But the problem is, you also have to sink a few grand into the block to be machined and pay for the labour to do it. So let's say $4k to $6k for the kit and machine work.
If you change your H/C/I setup then depending on application and choice, you could drop another $3k - $4k on those items alone. Now you're closing in on the $10k border. Nasty. 8-)
Engine management will then become an issue and you may end up needing to spend $1k - $2k for the hardware and an experienced tuner to weave his magic in tuning it properly.
Now if this is not enough grunt for you and block splitting isn't a worry then you could S/C it. You will again need to lash out a few thousand for the kit ~ depending on choice and application again.
By this stage your wallet will have shuffled off its mortal coil and you will have an extremely brutal piece of machinery under your bonnet.
Start considering how much it will cost to strengthen the transmission or change it as well as the diff... etc etc.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
Now you're closing in on the $10k border. Nasty. 8-)

haha well ok im liking my original idea better lol - no supercharger or stroker....so if i take my old windsor block, use the old crank, and then use everything else off a new efi engine that would be the best option? or should i use pistons and rods from an old engine?

note: if im going to run efi i will most likely buy a new engine and ecu so i can transfer whatever is better than old components onto old block

cheers nick

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well i got my block pulled apart and checked out and was told that it might die if i try putting more power through it or run it hard so its gettin put back together and sold.

So back to finding another engine to start with and i was wondering would anyone recommend going a 351 either cleveland or windsor (as im planning on stroking anyway)? Also would this fit in the same space as a 302w? Is it only deck height that's different?

Cheers nick

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]