Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
MikGan wrote:
yup mate just shim it up

I would assume shims under the bolt heads, ala washers, to prevent the bolts bottoming and giving false torques and allowing the rocker pedestals to seat preventing them from "rocking" around :lol:

just wasn't sure it would be alright, but it's done now and torqued up fine.

If they are non-adjustable rockers, you need to shim the whole rocker up off the head to acheive the correct lifter pre-load. If you get this wrong, it can cost you a set of lifters, and possibly a cam, maybe some valves.
There are special shims available for this purpose, its not as easy as putting a washer under the bolt head, as you need to get the preload right. (somewhere around 20-40 thou down the lifter bore)

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
znipa-x wrote:
MikGan wrote:
yup mate just shim it up

I would assume shims under the bolt heads, ala washers, to prevent the bolts bottoming and giving false torques and allowing the rocker pedestals to seat preventing them from "rocking" around :lol:

just wasn't sure it would be alright, but it's done now and torqued up fine.

If they are non-adjustable rockers, you need to shim the whole rocker up off the head to acheive the correct lifter pre-load. If you get this wrong, it can cost you a set of lifters, and possibly a cam, maybe some valves.
There are special shims available for this purpose, its not as easy as putting a washer under the bolt head, as you need to get the preload right. (somewhere around 20-40 thou down the lifter bore)

so much for the "just bolt them on", I was under the impression that yella terra had done all the work via the pedestal.

but hang on I'm not running solid lifters, so how do you pre-load hydraulic lifters, I've never had to do that before, I thought the whole idea of hydraulics was to eliminate the need to set the "tappets" correctly pretty pointless with rollers as well., so how exaclty do I acheive the pre-load

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just wish the yella terra site was up, they are rebuilding it, but when i bought these I was sure the site said no adjustment needed, just bolt them on and go, being a direct replacement for OEM rockers, that would obviously be provided no other work was done like head machining, cams etc, oh well, they are on now so I guess I'll trust that the pedestals are the correct height for stock, we'll see what happens, seems to be running alright.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Assuming they are ST2027 rockers, and std (not modified) GT40P heads, then those bolts should not be bottoming out....something is wrong.

What makes you think they are bottoming out?

How much thread is left when they bottom out?

How long are the bolts?

Are you using the "stand" that goes between the shaft, and the pad on the cylinder head?

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
Assuming they are ST2027 rockers, and std (not modified) GT40P heads, then those bolts should not be bottoming out....something is wrong.

What makes you think they are bottoming out?

How much thread is left when they bottom out?

How long are the bolts?

Are you using the "stand" that goes between the shaft, and the pad on the cylinder head?

they are the one's I got from here in the for sales, told they were ST2027, heads are stock from a AU ute, again from this site.

when screwing the bolts down prior to torqueing the stands still had some play.

stuff all thread, just the stand moving, I cleaned out hte threads and whacked in some washers, can't see it hurting anything, I hope, must say it has improved the old girl though.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
best notes ive read on cam setup-valve lash setting,and easy to understand. :roll: :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2