Post subject: New to the v8 scene
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DF LTD

VIC, Australia

ok, so im new to the whole v8 scene,
iv owned 4s and na/turbo 6s but never had an 8 till now,

few things iv seen while looking about the place and doing my research,

1. what do people mean by 'chip', is that one of those stupid resistors on the airflow meter that apparently give you more HP, or is it something more complex/beneficial?

2. intake setups - so far, on my car iv gone ahead and pulled the top of the box off, it was really restrictive and i gained ALOT of power on doing that alone (running a pod filter of course), but is there something better i could do? it gets alot of heat and it looks rather illegal now... lol

3. intake manifolds - is there something i can replace myn with that wont change TOO much under the hood? i was told i could put an AU one straight on but i think i better make sure of that first...

cheers guys, just trying to learn before i start doing things ill regret

Post subject: Re: New to the v8 scene
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

An AU manifold (commonly called the Explorer) is the best bet. They will flow well for most NA applications.

Intake set ups, its better to use either a panel or pod filter in the stock airbox. Opening a hole at the front of the box is a good idea, getting a cold air feed into the airbox is even better.

Ok, with the chip, anything under $100 is rubbish. Anything with a link to ebay is rubbish (generally). The resister chips for 20 and 30 bux are nothing but a money maker. Generally a tune will set you back 500 and up for a workshop to do it, can be done for less if you have a laptop and your cluey about it.

Generally for an eseries, there are a few chips available on the market that is retunable to suit the application. Capa switch chip eliminator, twEECer, Unichip are a few. They plug into the J3 port on your ECU (passenger side kick panel) on the E series.

Au onwards is a different system, they require a flash tuner, there are sniper and SCT flash available. Again they are retuned to suit, they change all the parameters...

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Generally for an eseries, there are a few chips available on the market that is retunable to suit the application. Capa switch chip eliminator, twEECer, Unichip are a few. They plug into the J3 port on your ECU (passenger side kick panel) on the E series.

ok, this is really good info to know as i did not know this!

so my car is on dual fuel, would there be a "chip" best suited for it?
im after power while keeping economy in mind,

also, would swapping between chips be as simple as removing one and placing in another? or do the "chips" overwrite things on my stock ECU like a flash?

thanks for the info on the intake/manifold, ill look into that!

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

The e-series ecu's hold no form of memory like that etc, so when the chip is removed, back to stock tune

im not sure if you can get one chip with different tunes on them, i know the flash tuners are set up like that for AU onwards

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Being LPG your car will respond very well to a custom tune on the dyno. Dont be surprised if you can tune it to make more power on LPG over Petrol. There are some good LPG specific cams out there for the V8's too.

As for the $10 resister chips, they're rubbish on 4cyl, 6cyl, boosted and V8's too. Nothing changes there :)

You'll come to enjoy how easy it is to get great streetable power out of the 8's. I've never looked back since tradng in the performance 6!!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FoX n LTD wrote:
schnoods wrote:

ok, this is really good info to know as i did not know this!

so my car is on dual fuel, would there be a "chip" best suited for it?
im after power while keeping economy in mind,

also, would swapping between chips be as simple as removing one and placing in another? or do the "chips" overwrite things on my stock ECU like a flash?

Nope.

The SCT switch Chip can hold 4 tunes and you can change the tunes via a selector, the tweecer can hold 4-5 as well.

It isnt cheap for a tune, generally better to get one when something has been done to the motor.
Places that do the chip charge around 5-700 for the actual chip, then $100-150 an hour for dyno tuning, allow an hour for a tune.

They respond well to the intake swap (to Au) larger throttle body (au too) a decent exhaust and bigger cam. From there its cylinder head upgrades and roller rockers, then the sky is the limit!

thanks for the info on the intake/manifold, ill look into that!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

brilliant! seems my choice to go with an 8 was a good one!

my turbo 6 is still faster but nowhere near as fun to drive (turbo lag is a b**ch!)

ill look around for a chip and a place that can tune them, theres a dyno in melton i used for my turbo but i dunno if hes any good with these chip systems

might pay him a visit

while its my daily, iv sworn never to touch the engine itself, so ill go to au intake, extractors, and a multiple tune chip so i can get the best of all the areas...

should be enough to get her faster than my worked sixes anyways!

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

My bro-in-law has an EF XR8 ex HWP with option 20 ECU, and apart from that it's stock, but it really kills my NF (soon to have 3:45 diff) would a basic chip be my answer or has someone got a spare option 20 ECU out there?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
My bro-in-law has an EF XR8 ex HWP with option 20 ECU, and apart from that it's stock, but it really kills my NF (soon to have 3:45 diff) would a basic chip be my answer or has someone got a spare option 20 ECU out there?

thats one of the other things i was wondering about, different ECUs,
are there better or worse ones to have?

i found a box full of them at the ballarat swap meet and most of them were $10, but there were a few different colours too!

haven't checked myn, i presume its behind the passenger kick panel like on XFs?

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:

What is a basic chip??

the 20-50 dollar chips are bad news.

The only thing the option 20 ECU had was no speed limiter (can go over 185km/hr). Also the cop packs only got the fine increment dash as well.

Motorwise, they got the same cam, same crushed tube headers, same restrictive heads and intake, same small throttle body and Maf.

You wont make more power with a tune with stock parts (well nothing noticable).

A set of headers will make a big difference, a free flowing exhaust will see more gains then any chip on a standard motor.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Actually AU's can be either reflashed or use a J3 adaptor.
EF-EL EECV's can also be reflashed but it's more involved than an AU.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]