Fordmods Logo

NF fairlane 5.0LTR PINGING ANYONE HELP? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

NFGhia wrote:
[so I set it back to factory 10deg BTDC in diag mode and it pinged to high heaven.

If you set the base timing to 10deg then you will have lots of issues, base timing needs to be set at 30deg in diagnostics mode. The US guys set their timing at 10deg but that is with the SPOUT wire disconnected instead of putting the EEC into diagnostics mode (two completely different methods).

The timing maps on the 5L EEC are fairly conservative so you can normally run 4-6deg more advance on the base timing, even more if you run PULP. So if your base timing is pretty close (30deg +/-4) and you are pinging on PULP then there is definitly something wrong, and as I said previously I would bet that it is due to lean AFR's probably caused by a dirty MAF (although there are a number of other reasons too).

And yeah as said, there is no ignition advance control in the dizzy iteslf, it is controlled by the EEC.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
NFGhia wrote:
[so I set it back to factory 10deg BTDC in diag mode and it pinged to high heaven.

If you set the base timing to 10deg then you will have lots of issues, base timing needs to be set at 30deg in diagnostics mode. The US guys set their timing at 10deg but that is with the SPOUT wire disconnected instead of putting the EEC into diagnostics mode (two completely different methods).

The timing maps on the 5L EEC are fairly conservative so you can normally run 4-6deg more advance on the base timing, even more if you run PULP. So if your base timing is pretty close (30deg +/-4) and you are pinging on PULP then there is definitly something wrong, and as I said previously I would bet that it is due to lean AFR's probably caused by a dirty MAF (although there are a number of other reasons too).

And yeah as said, there is no ignition advance control in the dizzy iteslf, it is controlled by the EEC.

Yeah, yeah, your right there with the 30deg (don't know where I got the 10deg from? :oops: ) Probably from reading up on EDIS8 for the new motor.. :lol:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU XR6

VIC, Australia

when u disconect the egr valve its ok

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2