NF V8 questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: NF V8 questions
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 NF ford fairlane v8

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys!
I have a NF V8 with 450,000k's on gas. Have a few questions......
The ilde tentioner pulley was sqweeking like crazy so i chaged the pulley over. When i went to put it back on i notice there was a bit of play when it came to the spindle that the pulley went onto. when i screwed the bolt back in the pulley sat firther back and the belt now sits closer to the front. Its still wobbling and im guessing the tentioner arm is stuffed?

just bought myself a set of paceys. just wanted to know how hard it is to change them over?
I want to know peoples ideas on exhaust sizes and what they have done to there NF NL Fairlanes. Not so easy to change over due to not being able to get anything over the shelf.
where have people taken there N series fairlane to get fitted in melbourne?

whats the diffrents between intake manifolds? I have noticed there are a few diffrent aftermarket intakes. would they make any diffrents on gas?

I just bought a 5ltr engine cover but like most second hand parts its missing the bolts that attach the cover to the motor and the motor cover to the radiator cover.
does anyone know what thread and length is used for both?

Thanks guys any help would be great Pete

Post subject: Re: NF V8 questions
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

can anyone help??? so many questions so little knowlage about 302w on gas......

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

If you can take a picture of the idler pulley and it's "spindle" it might help.

The extractors aren't hard to put on, just time consuming with tight spaces and all. You'll need to have an exhaust shop match up the stock exhaust to meet the pacies though. If you aren't going to do much more to your motor, a single 2.5" is plenty and will give you decent increases without losing low rpm torque. As for intakes, the explorer or tubular gt40 are common upgrades; your engine cover will fit on these. Otherwise you can look at the Edelbrock Performer which won't lose you low down torque.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:

The extractors aren't hard to put on, just time consuming with tight spaces and all. You'll need to have an exhaust shop match up the stock exhaust to meet the pacies though. If you aren't going to do much more to your motor, a single 2.5" is plenty and will give you decent increases without losing low rpm torque. As for intakes, the explorer or tubular gt40 are common upgrades; your engine cover will fit on these. Otherwise you can look at the Edelbrock Performer which won't lose you low down torque.

Thanks for the help.
I have attached a pic of the idler pulley I hope this helps. The one thing you may notice is the bolt that screws into the spindle has concaved. I will be changing the washer over tomorrow.

The pacemakers have come off an NL and have already been chopped. He did have a cat back system so im hopein they will mach up.
As for the intake i think i better get the rest fixed first.
Thanks again for the help

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:

Attachments:
P8080012.JPG
P8080012.JPG [ 173.39 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Did you change the tensioner pulley? It looks like you have a modified tensioner in that someone has taken the original pulley off and tapped a thread for a bolt in there to change the pulley. The original tensioner had a fixed pulley in that you couldn't remove it. If you haven't already, change the tensioner pulley, bolt and washer.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:05 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Did you change the tensioner pulley? It looks like you have a modified tensioner in that someone has taken the original pulley off and tapped a thread for a bolt in there to change the pulley. The original tensioner had a fixed pulley in that you couldn't remove it. If you haven't already, change the tensioner pulley, bolt and washer.

The pulley is brand new as the one that was on it made alot more noise. The spindle seems to have a fair bit of play. Infact it makes the belt move ever so slightly from side to side. I think even if i replace the bolt and washer im not sure if it will fix the issue. I guess i could sleave it?

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

does anyone know of a cheap engine fitter around the brunswick area? will be doing the ring around tomorrow.
thanks guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]