Fordmods Logo

NL Fairlane V8 Trouble 

Page 5 of 5 [ 64 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

If you are sure the fuel pressure AND flow are OK, I'd get the dizzy checked out. Faulty TFI module, worn shaft bearings- any of these can cause strange problems.

It really does sound like a fuel supply problem though. Have you ruled out any vacuum leaks? Check the two large hoses that form the lop to the PCV valve under the upper manifold. I replaced mine recently (with regular heater hose) and I could snap the old one quite easily.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
Why is it that any posts about Ford workshop technicians almost always indicate that they are idiots who couldn't identify a spanner from can of Coke? I think I'm more likely to learn the answer for a mechanical / electrical problem from an independent mechanic than I am from an authorised tech.

Hah, sound familiar. I had Ford look at my car with a similar problem to the one in this thread and they diagnosed a faulty MAF. No power, hesitation, pinging under load etc.

It was a blocked fuel filter. :roll:

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Yeah, I replaced the hose underneath the manifold when I fitted the dodgy reco'd injectors - they weren't in great condition but still didn't fix the problem. Guys the strangest thing here is that when the MAF is disconnected, the car runs absolutely SWEET - no black smoke, sounds healthy (compared to when connected anyway) and generally seems to run better. This throws confusion into my theory of injector problems because I can't see how disconnecting the MAF would eliminate the symptoms of sad injectors (or any fuel issues for that matter)... I'm intending on going through everything again ASAP and double check...

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Well its been a long time coming - but I have finally resolved the problem !!!!
Blasted injectors !!!!! So I owe the biggest setback to Ebayer "sonic_injection" for sending me the crappiest recoed injectors I will ever see and throwing me off my original line of thinking. Basically, it was getting worse and worse in starting so I took my chances again and bought some better looking reco injectors (this time with a flow card) and hesitation no more !
What amazed me is just how much better the low end throttle response is - never realised how bad it was prior. This may be due to the new injectors being a "four-hole" type but I didn't think that'd make too much diff.
Anyway - thanks to all who contributed !!!
Cheers,
Windza

P.S. 8x 19lb injectors in great condition (only 160, 000 kays) going cheap ;-)

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5