Fordmods Logo

no maf 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: no maf
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

just looking for some advice about not running a maf on my ef 5.0
im doing an engine build with all the gear and am wondering if its worth running a bigger maf when i could run something like a microtech which 'apperantly' has onboard air flow sensor and all it needs is a vacuum line. i figure whats the point in going for just a 'chip n tune' , when i could just go microtech without maf. chip is 600 from bpt plus dyno time plus new maf $300-500, microtech is 1000 to my door.
any one have any opinions on my idea?

EF XR8: Mild engine work = 298hp @ 5600rpm and 510nm @ 4200rpm...skids

eyyyyyyy bloke u gotta spare namry or what

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

go mafless tune. dont bother with the chip

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

There's a lot more cost involved in fitting and tuning the microtech than the initial $1K.
Use the bigger MAF and get it tuned.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
There's a lot more cost involved in fitting and tuning the microtech than the initial $1K.

when u say more cost involved, what exactly is the cost you are talking about. im wiring the microtech myself so the only cost i can see is dyno time? and considering it is a widely used aftermarket computer and alot of dyno shops know very well i cant see the dyno time costing alot

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Are you tuning it yourself? You'll probably find that if you get someone to tune your car with something they didn't supply to you then they'll be hitting you with a rate for dyno time plus their tuning time. How many dyno shops in Perth actually know the microtech really well?

I'd been to a few a while back and I'd found Haltech, Motec and Autronic were my best options.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Overboost or Rotomotion are the Microtech dealers in Perth. Seeing as they have to build a tune from scratch, I cannot see the tune costing you LESS than $1500...

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

BOTTLEDUP wrote:
Overboost or Rotomotion are the Microtech dealers in Perth. Seeing as they have to build a tune from scratch, I cannot see the tune costing you LESS than $1500...

I don't really know much about dry tuning, but i have been under the impression that they can load a tune on there and then play with that?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

FPV1 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

when u say more cost involved, what exactly is the cost you are talking about. im wiring the microtech myself so the only cost i can see is dyno time? and considering it is a widely used aftermarket computer and alot of dyno shops know very well i cant see the dyno time costing alot

As the bottle man says...the tuning will be the most expensive because they need to start from scratch and proper calibration takes much time.
You're not starting from scratch with the original EEC so it's not going to be so expensive. Many of the vehicle systems that interface with the stock EEC will not work with the microtech so you'll need to piggyback it off the stock EEC.
BTW what exactly comes with the microtech?

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Quote:
As the bottle man says...the tuning will be the most expensive because they need to start from scratch and proper calibration takes much time.
You're not starting from scratch with the original EEC so it's not going to be so expensive. Many of the vehicle systems that interface with the stock EEC will not work with the microtech so you'll need to piggyback it off the stock EEC.

they have told me it comes with a base tune, and for lead to hook up to laptop is $50..
what vehicle systems wont work with the microtech?

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i'm running 'mafless' on mine with microtech ecu! lt-8 i think it is but i need to check to confirm that.

microtech, or at least the ecu i am running does not support 'closed loop' which may or may not be a concern for you.

a common issue with microtech is cold start. summer is not too bad but winter i need to try 2 or 3 times for it to start.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

FPV1 wrote:
Quote:

they have told me it comes with a base tune, and for lead to hook up to laptop is $50..
what vehicle systems wont work with the microtech?

A/C control, Tacho and temp are the initial grey areas.
There's a clean tacho output that the cluster requires.
Temp gauge requires serial data from the EEC.
Are the factory sensor transfer functions programmable into the microtech?

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

I have changed to a MAP sensor & TPS using a Motec M800 - i gotta tell ya that unless the Microtech has a base tune to start from it takes a lot of time constructing the tables - which means $. I am using the TPS as the principal sensor for tuning. Also depnd on how Microtech handles the ISC function. My has taken hours especially cold start table.
I have another agenda for using the M800 so I was prepared for the $ & issues that crop up.
Also fortunate I have unlimited access to engine dyno & a Motec Tuner.
See my PM about the other bits but suggest find a cam that is friendly with Ford EEC & MAF.

Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]