Fordmods Logo

non roller cam in roller block 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: non roller cam in roller block
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

can this be done
a non roller cam is around the 150 mark and a roller is $350 min. so could i use a non roller cam?

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I suppose its technically possible, but the roller cams really are worth the extra $$$

There will be more "area under the curve" with a hydraulic roller compared to a hydraulic flat tappet with the same duration numbers.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i would have just thought that the roller may rev a bit easier and last longer....my brother is doing this just wanted to know if its bad or good i guess i'll find out in 2 weeks

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Its more about how quickly it can "lift" the valve off the seat.

Hydraulic roller lifters dont work very well with high spring pressures so that ultimately limits the amount of rpm they can handle.

Solid flat tappet, and solid roller are the ultimate lifter design for max rpm.

I think you would run into problems with the height of the lifter bores, and the oil gallery for the lifters, if you where to try and run hydraulic flat tappet lifters in a hydraulic roller lifter block.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:32 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Pre-'94 F-series engines are the same 5.0 roller block with a flat tappet cam.
So you'll have no problems except you'll need slightly longer pushrods,flat tappet lifters and a cast iron distributor gear(the stock steel one will eat your flat tappet cam gear in minutes)which adds up to more money than the roller cam and makes your hyd flat tappet switch not so attractive.
But why go backwards? Hyd rollers are better.

Pete.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:20 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Exactly, why go backwards.

The stock roller cam ain't that bad anyway. In fact it is pretty good when the asthmatic HO top end is swapped for something decent. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/11 ... e_buildup/

400hp from a stock roller cam short block 5.0L with off the shelf heads, rockers, headers, intake & even carb pretty much proves that the stock HO roller cam ain't as bad as it's made out to be.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:56 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

well my brother has taken delivery of cam and heads that are matched from procomp and has everything needed to convert to non roller cam...and the cartech artical uses 1.7 roller rockers so the cam lift and duration is lifted anyway.
i want a new cam for my eb 5.0l not only for the power gain but to get an exhaust note that is better than my 1.3 charade. i was going to go the tfs1 cam as this will still be ok on the stock top end and when i change it later on the cam will still be good. i was considering using the same cam as my brother but i'd prefer to keep it a roller

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:20 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Here here Sam,

In fact the stock roller is the last thing you want to change on a 5.0!
Blueprinted; Duration doesn't change with increased rocker ratio only lift does. This results in a torque increase across the whole rev range. Just some headers and exhaust will give you a good note from your 5.0.
And the whole thing about procomp is cheapness which is why they went flat tappet. Tell your brother to leave their "matched" cam in the shop and go with a roller.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i'll let him know....also my car has pacemakers and dual 2.5in system with straight through glass pack mufflers and it idles smoother than my stock charade and only makes good noise above 4000rpm where the insulation in a fairmont limits noise to about nothing inside the cabin....maybe i should just whip out the floor insulation for better noise

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:52 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

blueprinted wrote:
i'll let him know....also my car has pacemakers and dual 2.5in system with straight through glass pack mufflers and it idles smoother than my stock charade and only makes good noise above 4000rpm where the insulation in a fairmont limits noise to about nothing inside the cabin....maybe i should just whip out the floor insulation for better noise

Ah well go the TFS1 cam if you must but I'd do the whole top end of the engine first(ie throw it away). What mufflers are they?

Pete.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i'm changin diff first so cam will be after christmas if at all
mufflers are prob a no name brand but they are 5 years old and still look ok...was going to go 14in chambered mufflers for a bit of crackle but is going to cost $300 to get them or a cam at $350+springs and gaskets..

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Flat tappet cams are ground with slight angle on lobe and the flat lifter has slight angle also which helps lifter to turn so it wears evenly...So NO you can't just throw a flat cam in there.. As said you need to change dristributer gear also... The F series engine will have specific ground cam.. Unless you are changing whole valve gear??? I can't see why? With roller the ramps are much quicker as the point / contact the roller on cam is very narrow.. With flat tappet this is an issue as cam lobe slices lifter ...Roller cams generally require harder spring rates due to heavier lifters.. Aftermarket lifters are lighter..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]