Not opening up to full potential. 

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
s-tranzor wrote:
I won't give em any crap for this kinda thing. They built an awesome rock solid engine. Sure, it had a few teething problems, which in the end were happily sorted out and now all is well. When it comes down to it, they know their s**t better than a dung beetle and are a good bunch of blokes, who are all heavily overloaded with work so it's no suprise in my view that the odd oversight occurs.

There should be NO excuses. People are paying TOP dollar, waiting excessive amounts of time for their work to be done and they arent just playing with general cars here they are playing with peoples PRIDE and JOY. Do the work properly the first time, keep the customers happy and get a good name out there and NO excuses.

I agree with Jeff here, the throttle cable is a small thing and a KNOWN issue with efi Windsors for over 10 years. My philosophy if you aren't prepared to give each and every job 100% attention to detail, and be confident with your result don't take the job on, or at least don't sent it out the door until its 100% right.

I know a lot of people may call Leon a control freak, and sometimes a right Pain in the @ss but when it comes to modified and performance engines you NEED to be. All it takes is 1 small oversight or incorrect part and everything turns to s**t very quickly.

A great analogy to work by is a quote of our favourite chef Gordon Ramsey... "Never let your mistakes leave the kitchen" The same applies to performance engines. Whether its a throttle cable adjustment, incorrect heat range plugs or that camshaft you know was really marginal on piston to valve clearance but 'should be OK' once it goes out into the customers hands its on public display... If something goes wrong people will hear about it very quickly.

Now this little drivel session is NOT directed at a specific shop, but to anyone who takes on the joy of modifying an engine for performance. When everything leaves the workshop 100% right you'll be the envy of many. Big professional workshops make errors too, we all do... but the important thing is that they are spotted BEFORE it leaves the kitchen... figuratively speaking.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

BOTTLEDUP wrote:
XH5LWEPN wrote:
s-tranzor wrote:
I won't give em any crap for this kinda thing. They built an awesome rock solid engine. Sure, it had a few teething problems, which in the end were happily sorted out and now all is well. When it comes down to it, they know their s**t better than a dung beetle and are a good bunch of blokes, who are all heavily overloaded with work so it's no suprise in my view that the odd oversight occurs.

There should be NO excuses. People are paying TOP dollar, waiting excessive amounts of time for their work to be done and they arent just playing with general cars here they are playing with peoples PRIDE and JOY. Do the work properly the first time, keep the customers happy and get a good name out there and NO excuses.

I agree with Jeff here, the throttle cable is a small thing and a KNOWN issue with efi Windsors for over 10 years. My philosophy if you aren't prepared to give each and every job 100% attention to detail, and be confident with your result don't take the job on, or at least don't sent it out the door until its 100% right.

I know a lot of people may call Leon a control freak, and sometimes a right Pain in the @ss but when it comes to modified and performance engines you NEED to be. All it takes is 1 small oversight or incorrect part and everything turns to s**t very quickly.

A great analogy to work by is a quote of our favourite chef Gordon Ramsey... "Never let your mistakes leave the kitchen" The same applies to performance engines. Whether its a throttle cable adjustment, incorrect heat range plugs or that camshaft you know was really marginal on piston to valve clearance but 'should be OK' once it goes out into the customers hands its on public display... If something goes wrong people will hear about it very quickly.

Now this little drivel session is NOT directed at a specific shop, but to anyone who takes on the joy of modifying an engine for performance. When everything leaves the workshop 100% right you'll be the envy of many. Big professional workshops make errors too, we all do... but the important thing is that they are spotted BEFORE it leaves the kitchen... figuratively speaking.

Well said. :wink:

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Amen to that Dave.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

That's true Bottledup. It's the same where I work to, never let mistakes leave the workshop, especially where you deal with big international corporations. Maybe I'm just very cynical and expect s**t to go wrong no matter how much money gets spent and how much time is taken. As long as in the end everything is fine and any issues are sorted out at the right price ($0) with no attitude. In my case, issues were sorted out promptly and free of charge and to me, that still warrants a good service tick.

That's just my view. :)

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I dont think its unreasonable to be uncompromising on mistakes made when dollars are paid.Its good that your an easy goin dude and didnt stress about it because i would have haha But like you say,all good at the end of the day and by the sounds of it you shouldnt be too far off jeffs times in the ute 8-)

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Speaking of times, the last of the drags were cancelled, unless you had a jet ski!

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Not too far off topic,i saw two brothers on foxtel racing each other at the drags on snow mobiles.one dude ran 8 seconds the other ran 9.Has to be seen to be believed. :shock:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3