Fordmods Logo

oil cooler block the airflow? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: oil cooler block the airflow?
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el v8 falcon

VIC, Australia

Hello there,

I put a transmission cooler with an elec fan infront of my radiator yesterday, everything goes fine after test drive. I also have a temp gauage for the trans fiuld, the fiuld temp stay aroud 80-90. I am pretty happy with that.

But problem happened, I took my mum and grandparents to Mt dandenong(In melbourne) today. As the car is fully load (4 people, nearly 380kg), the engine have pretty hard working day, also with near 38 degrees weather. The temp gauge rocket up to the O of normal. Thats happened before, so i turn the AC on, make both fan turn on full speed. I can hear the fan running and the little fan on the cooler is working too. However the temp is keep raiseing to the N. I have to stop to let it cool down.

I said this happened before, i don`t know why my fan only kick in full speed on nearly overheating, so i manualy switch on the fan by turn on the AC, temp will drop soon after full speed kick in.

I am aferid the cooler is block the airflow to the radiator, Or something other? Do i need to go lower temp themostat?

Post subject: Re: oil cooler block the airflow?
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I'd be more concerned about the radiator than the trans cooler. Sounds like you have an issue with the cooling system more than anything. I'd look at the Radiator and the water pump.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el v8 falcon

VIC, Australia

well... The cooling system give me a very bad day. I replaced everything in the system, fitted with heavy duty radiator, new water pump, themostat, flush and bleeding the system when every job done. I was really p****d off by the cooling in EL. It will not overheat but really dangeours high.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:42 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

If you mean "M" when you say "N" then you're only just over halfway. Besides anything in the "Normal" range is normal so nothing to worry about.

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
I used a 86 degree thermostat in the EL XR6. Never went past L on normal even in extreme conditions

Try a new one

Am putting a 86degree in this car of mine too.

Id second that. I have a reco tickford head, new pipes and a rebuilt hd radiator yet my system goes up to the top of the M on hot days or heavy loads. I watched my gauge on warm up one day and found the temp goes to the top of the M and then dramatically drops to the A ( obviously when the thermostat opens).... I asked what temp thermostat was used when the head was done and was told it was the highest temp one you could buy ( I think 90+ degree's). I will be dropping an 86 degree one in my car after Christmas and I reckon all will be fine once thats done.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]