Fordmods Logo

Porting E7 Heads and standrad manifold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Porting E7 Heads and standrad manifold
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

hey guys,

i have bought myself an NC fairlane that i am doing up as a budget cruiser. hence i am looking for some cost effective mods to increase low down torque.

my question is in relation to posting the standard manfold and E7 heads. everyone will jump up and says just put GT40Ps on with an explorer manifold. i am considering this as well. basically what i am looking to do is compare the two ideas from a performance vs. budget point of view as the idea is to get as much power and low down torque for minimal cost.

now i have read that the upper section of the manifold is actually ok and it is the lower section that is the restriction for mild motors, particually 1 and 5.

what would is cost if i removed the heads, to have the lower manifold and heads ported? not on the flow bench or anything like that, just a quick port for greater velocity and therefore torque? meanwhile i would get them shaved also for slightly more compression.

what i also want to consider is the price of this mod and what perofrmance will i get from it versus how much better will it really be if i get the gt40ps and explorer over this ported combination?

thoughts?

Cheers all

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Compression and airspeed creates torque not so much velocity. Porting and port matching will give an increase in top end `revvability` but not much action down low.Porting will `compliment`other mods to capitalize on an engines power band. Pulling the heads and manifold off wil be a waste of time unless you shell out for headers,exhaust,camshaft seeing a stock 5.0L isnt much above 4500 any way.I`d start with some shorter diff gears and a little more stall on the converter.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

This idea of porting the E7 heads and HO intake has been done many times in the states. After doing a bit of research on Corral Forums this is what I concluded

1. When porting the heads you might as well put bigger valves in at the same time and deck the head for more comp.
2. Port the lower half of the intake manifold and leave the top as is (pay attention to port 1 and 5 on the lower
3. After you have done the above you might as well change the cam or bear minimum fit 1.7 roller rockers (in effect like installing a bigger cam)
4. Valve springs to be changed if you go with a bigger cam

Bear in mind the guys in the US get their cars into the late 12's early 13s with this sort of combo with a large cam and high diff gears (4.11's) or big stallie but the fox body mustangs (1987 - 1993) are far lighter than our e-series falcons. This is where we loose out. In your case with a 'lane, the weight will be a disadvantage.

My opinion, if you want a bit more power and torque on a budget, do steps 1 -4 but if you plan on going bigger with your motor in the future, save your money and invest in some better items alloy heads, stroker, supercharge, NOS, you name it.... its only limited to your budget.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I ported my E7s and machined about 0.030' for more compression. I did everything myself otherwise if you are paying someone to do the work, you might as well buy those GT40Ps and explorer manifold. With a cam and pacemakers and explorer, my ported E7s made a noticeble difference to my LWB with oodles of torque and good midrange. I keep a lid on the high revs due to my valvesprings.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:28 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]